Photo Illustration by Roberto Soto, Source Photographs via Pixabay and A24

‘The Iron Claw’ Deserves All The Awards And So Much More Hype

The tragic true story of a wrestling family as seen through a spectacular cast. 

CW: Death, Suicide, Spoilers

At first glance, “The Iron Claw” is a tale of a family working to make it in the professional wrestling world. However, the 132 minutes of tragedy and trauma prove that this film is so much more. Directed by Sean Durkin and distributed by A24, the dramatic sports biopic shows the unique story of the iconic Von Erich family. Not only is the story of their comeuppance in the wrestling world told but also the depiction of brotherhood and their bond to one another. 

There to bring this honest portrayal to life are the unique haircuts and biceps of the Von Erich brothers, Kevin (Zac Efron), David (Harris Dickinson), Kerry (Jeremy Allen White) and Mike (Stanley Simons). These brothers are brought up to enter the wrestling scene – not only to defeat their opponents in the ring but also to master the “Iron Claw” hold. In efforts to achieve those feats, each brother is pushed to excellence by their father, Fritz (Holt McCallany), as their mother, Doris (Maura Tierney), stands idly by. Fritz is portrayed as a harsh, old-school father who pressures his sons into following his legacy as a wrestler. The movie shows the lengths that each son goes to, just to please him and adhere to his toxic standards on what it takes to be a “tough man” in the sports scene. 

One of the biggest takeaways from this famous family’s life – is the alleged curse attached to the ‘Von Erich’ name. The story of the family’s curse stems from the chain of deaths endured by each brother to the next. Efron’s character, Kevin, reveals to his love interest (Lily James) that in their adolescence his 5-year-old brother passed away. As if that isn’t tragic enough, the Von Erich brothers die one by one throughout the film, each portrayed through the unforgettable efforts of Dickinson, White, and Simons. 

DAVID VON ERICH

The first is David’s death. After Kevin is unable to rank in a competition, his father suggests David step into the ring for him. As expected, David is sent off on a fighting tour in Japan – a tour he completes not only to fulfill his father’s wishes but also to place for the world championship title. Before the fatal match, a wedding scene between Efron’s character and his wife takes place in which David and Kevin hold a meaningful conversation.  Some time after, he passes away from a ruptured intestine. After his brother’s death, Kevin receives a posthumous postcard saying “I miss you, brother.” Though this scene was confirmed to be fictionally created for purposes of the film, this scene effectively portrays their brotherly love shared between one another. 

Harris Dickinson’s role as David brings the story to life, showing him as just another one of the sons looking to please their father. His performance is truly solidified in the wedding scene of “The Iron Claw” where he reveals he is sick after coughing up blood. There, he has a heart-to-heart with Kevin that shows the emotional connection that was alive between the Von Erichs. 

KERRY VON ERICH

Though Kerry is the last of the brothers to die, his death happens gradually. After David’s untimely death, Kerry wins the spot over Kevin – through a coin toss – to step into the ring in the place of their late brother. While doing so, he falls into reckless patterns of excessively drinking which is only implied during several scenes. During these scenes, you can see the emotional performance of White and his ability to bring depth and pain to this portrayal. It’s no secret that he possesses the capacity to play an emotionally complex character. 

After placing and winning the title against his opponent, he goes for a ride on his motorcycle in an inebriated state. Time lapses occur through the loss of his leg and the hardship he must go through because of this impediment. As time goes on, he attempts to retrain and even gets access to a prosthetic leg. However, he is never truly able to get past the trauma of trying to prove himself in the ring and overcome the loss of his leg. Towards the end of the film, Kerry takes his own life – before Kevin is able to talk him off the ledge. 

MIKE VON ERICH

Mike has a passion for food and music. In a number of scenes, he is judged by their father for the amount of food he eats, his lack of training and passion for music when he sings and plays guitar. While this is a passion his brothers support, his father does not take it seriously. True to the nature of the film, his mother does not come to his defense, and he is forced to entertain his hobbies privately.

After Kerry’s amputation, Mike is expected to step into the ring. His brother Kevin trains him and pushes him to the point that he is overworked. Eventually, one match costs him his health when he injures his shoulder. This sends his body into a shock, altering the quality of his life thereafter. Before being pressured by their father to reenter the ring, he takes his own life in a suspected overdose.

The heartbreaking portrayal of these deaths is credited to the amazing cast that shared chemistry on-screen in their depiction of brotherhood. In addition to his co-stars, Efron’s performance serves as an anchor throughout this movie. The fact that he plays the last remaining family member of the Von Erichs truly captures the sad reality of this story. In a number of interviews, Efron has shared that Kevin told him he liked the film. Though “The Iron Claw” was not received the way box offices anticipated, those who did get their movie ticket were pleased. The wide community of Letterboxd regarded this film so highly it ranked number 11 for one of the highest rated films, with a 4.1 out of 5 stars rating. In its first week, the film garnered just above $1 million – a number that was entirely underestimated and unexpected from viewers. Despite the numbers on “The Iron Claw”, it’s safe to say there should be more hype surrounding this movie and that the film along with lead actor Efron’s performance should not be overlooked when it comes to nominations.

Of course, the film does condense what takes place over the course of the family’s life. From the amount of wrestling titles to the adversity they faced from their father and the tragic deaths, “The Iron Claw” executes the Von Erich family story in an orderly timeline. The topic of their alleged curse is really capitalized upon, in the way that the brothers suffer tremendous loss trying to navigate their father’s expectations; and then the loss of one another. 

Despite their father’s harshness in the film, Kevin Von Erich recently took to a podcast to debunk this notion. Kevin, the only living member of the Von Erich family, spoke on behalf of his father and claimed the film did not accurately portray his old man and that the depiction “came off pretty rank.” The true story of the Von Erich brothers made history in the world of sports, and now this portrayal brings their life story to cinema. As seen in the film, the five brothers show their intense relationship with their parents who drove them to success. 

For those who have not yet watched, don’t expect a lighthearted sports film. “The Iron Claw” will require tissues as themes of grief, toxic masculinity and loss unfold through gripping performances. What’s more, this is a true representation of life – “The Iron Claw” should get the recognition it deserves.

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.