What awaits the Saltzman twins in "Legacies" Season 2? (Image via TV Guide)

Everything You Need to Know About ‘Legacies’ Season 2

Did Hope really disappear from supernatural existence?

On Season 1’s finale of “Legacies,” Hope Mikaelson (Danielle Rose Russell) realized her purpose in life, but it came at a big cost. Following in her father’s footsteps, Hope sacrificed herself to take down Malivore to save her friends, throwing herself into the black pit, thereby erasing herself from existence and destroying all of her memories.

While Hope’s sudden disappearance occurs, the Saltzman twins, Lizzie (Jenny Boyd) and Josie (Kaylee Bryant) are seen opening a red box they stole from their dad’s office. Fans of “The Vampire Diaries” will recognize the item in the box, better known as the ascendant, and gasp at the sight of it. Will the twins figure out what it is, or will they question their father even more? If shows with teenagers has taught me anything, it’s that teens tend to do whatever they want.

Season 1 left a lot of questions unanswered, but fans still have reason to celebrate, as “Legacies” has been renewed for a Season 2. What can we expect from the upcoming season?

What is “Legacies”?

If you aren’t sure what “Legacies” is, it’s the spin-off of “The Originals” and “The Vampire Diaries.” The show centers around a new generation of supernatural beings who attend the Salvatore Boarding School for the Young and Gifted in the town of Mystic Falls.

The school was started by Caroline Salvatore in the final series of “The Vampire Diaries” as a safe haven for not just her twin children, who happen to be siphoner witches, but for supernatural beings of all ages.

What’s next for the Salvatore School for the Gifted?

Fans are still shocked at the season finale of “Legacies” and are eagerly awaiting Season 2, as classes will still be in session, even if Hope is gone. The supernatural teenagers of the Salvatore Boarding School for the Young and Gifted will continue their not-so-normal lives, continuously learning to control and harness their powers, while also figuring out where they belong in this crazy world that doesn’t know about them yet.

After Hope throws herself into the black pit, why can’t anybody remember her? Where is she? Julie Plec told TVLine, “I think that’s the question. In her mind, jumping into the pit would destroy Malivore. And it appears that Malivore—at least in its physical mud-pit form—is gone. So, where the hell is she, and why can’t anyone remember her? The fact that no one can remember her probably means she’s in that blackness, which the monsters described as being this terrible place.”

Knowing there’s a possibility of Hope coming back, seeing as she’s floating off somewhere in complete darkness, means there’s a chance to save Rafael. In “There’s Always a Loophole,” Rafael uses Hope’s reverse kyanite ring and traps himself into his natural wolf form to help fight the Triad Agents who attacked the school. The problem is that Rafael can’t turn back on his own, because Hope is the only one who can turn him back. “Rafael will start Season 2 still as a wolf, which will do a huge number on him, psychologically speaking. It’s going to affect his relationship with everybody,” Plec told TVLine.

So, Rafael’s list of problems will continue to grow, as the girl who can make him human again is the one person nobody remembers, including himself.

The Merge and The Ascendant

The Merge was first mentioned in Season 6 of “The Vampire Diaries” and has everything to do with the Gemini Coven, a family of witches whose leader is always a twin. Why is The Merge such a big deal in “Legacies”? Well, it turns out Lizzie and Josie Saltzman happen to be the last surviving members of the Gemini Coven, but are unaware of this information.

In “I’ll Tell You a Story,” Alaric Saltzman (Matthew Davis) finally tells the twins all about The Merge after both Josie and Lizzie went snooping for information. Alaric goes on to explain that The Merge is a tradition of the Gemini Coven, that they’re both the last known members and that it requires twins to merge when they turn 22. It’s a battle of wills and only the “stronger” of the two will survive, with the winner absorbing the power of the “weaker” twin.

Since the girls were little, both Alaric and Caroline have been trying to find a solution to the coven’s tradition in hopes that they would never have to endure The Merge or stress over it. Hence the secrecy and why Caroline has been MIA during the entire season. Now that both girls know about The Merge and only a few years before it will actually happen, which twin will win? Or will there be a way to stop this battle from occurring?

As if stressing over The Merge wasn’t enough, both girls realize that the strange device in the box looks very familiar.

What is an ascendant? Ascendants are mystical relics used by the Gemini Coven that can be used to harness the power of a celestial event to create a portal to another dimension, allowing anyone to travel through it. The relic can also be used to imprison someone, better known as the Prison World for that individual.

The reason this ascendant looks so familiar to both Lizzie and Josie is because they helped Bonnie Bennett create it. It was created as a last resort to trap Malachai “Kai” Parker, another member of the Gemini Coven and their evil uncle, who attempted to kill the twins when they were only 3 years old.

If they figure out what it is and attempt to open it, will they unknowingly free their murderous, sociopathic uncle? Does this mean Kai will return? If so, will Bonnie Bennett come back to help? Only time will tell. If they do, they’re going to be in a world of trouble.

Returning Cast, New and Old

While The CW hasn’t made any official announcements on the cast for “Legacies” Season 2, it’s safe to say the main cast from Season 1 will return.

However, many fans are curious to know if any other characters from the previous shows, particularly “The Vampire Diaries,” will make an appearance. So far, both Jeremy Gilbert (Steven R. McQueen) and Sheriff Matt Donovan (Zach Roerig) have both appeared on “Legacies,” assisting in their own ways. Will Caroline (Candice King), the twins’ mother, finally come back from Europe? And if Kai does come back, does that mean a reprise from Bonnie (Kat Graham)? Nobody knows for sure, but it would be awesome to see the gang show up at least once.

Although no official release date has been announced, “Legacies” Season 2 is expected to premiere in October.