An illustration of a variety of characters from popular '90s cartoons.
The Best Cartoons of the '90s-2000s

The Best Cartoons of the ’90s-2000s

A look back on the golden age of animated TV shows.

The ‘90s was an amazing decade. From music to television, the decade was jam-packed with great content for consumers to enjoy. However, one of the biggest successes of the decade goes to the era of the 90s’ cartoons. Let’s explore this golden age of cartoons.

“Doug”

“Doug” was a show for the awkward and shy. The cartoon “Doug” centered around the main character, Doug Funnie, as he navigates life as a 6th grader. He gets into trouble in his town of Bluffington with his best friend, Skeeter, and his dog, Porkchop, and has puppy love for his crush, Pattie, all while recording his daily adventures in his journal in each episode. The show was in production from 1991-1994.

During this time, the show was nominated for two CableACE awards, two Daytime Emmy Awards, two Young Artist Awards and had won the Kids’ Choice Awards four times. While the show had great success, sadly, it aired its last episode in 1994 after 56 episodes.

“Rocko’s Modern Life”

Rocko’s Modern Life” was a show for both adults and kids. The main character, Rocko, is a wallaby from Australia who now lives in O-Town, USA. The show details his struggles and shenanigans as he tries to adjust to life in America. He encounters all kinds of situations with his best friend, Heffer, a cow who was raised by a pack of wolves. The show also includes Filbert, a turtle with an anger problem, and Rocko’s neighbors, Ed Bighead —who can’t stand Rocko—and his wife.

The show was for adults as well because of the adult type of humor and topics that went over kids’ heads. This made the show great for families since everyone could enjoy it on many different levels. The show ran from 1993-1996, and during that time, it accumulated two CableACE award nominations, one Daytime Emmy Award and one Environmental Media award.

“Animaniacs”

The show “Animaniacs” is ranked as one of the 17 best cartoons of all time. This type of praise is not misplaced in the slightest. The show centers around three main characters: Wakko, Yakko and Dot. These three characters are cast-offs who were locked in the water tower of the Warner Studio after they were deemed too wacky to be utilized during that time. After escaping, they have a host of adventures at the studio along with other side characters, such as Pinky and The Brain, two lab mice; Rita and Runt, a cat and dog; and a host of others.

The show was originally presented by Stephen Spielberg and ran from 1993-1998. It earned five Annie Awards nominations, won six Daytime Emmy Awards, one Online Film and Television Association award, one Peabody Award and a Young Artist award. The show ran from 1993-1998. However, in 2020 the show was remade but sadly ended in 2023.

“Daria”

The teen animated show “Daria” began as a spin-off of another MTV show, “Bevis and Butthead.” The main character of the show, Daria, is a loner in a sea of people she would consider “idiots.” She is very nonchalant and sarcastic, and these characteristics can be seen throughout the show as she goes through high school and deals with all kinds of issues. The show also dealt with many things teenagers were going through during that time, such as dating and the things that influenced teens, such as music and pop culture. Daria aired from 1997-2002 with a total of 67 episodes and won one Online Film and Television Association Award.

“Sailor Moon”

Sailor Moon” was originally a show in Japan before it made its debut in America in 1992. The show centers around 14-year-old Usagi Taukino. Usagi is boy-crazed and emotional. However, after being chosen to become Sailor Moon by a talking cat named Luna, she must protect the Moon Princess. With the assistance of her friends, Ami Mizuno, Rei Hino, Makoto Kino, Minako Aino and the occasional help of the conspicuous Tuxedo Kamen, they fight against the antagonist, Queen Beryl.

This show was one of those shows that seems silly but is actually amazing. The show aired from 1992-1997 and had many reboots over the years. It had over 200 episodes and received two nominations from Behind the Voice Actors Awards.

“Rugrats”

Rugrats” is a classic! This show premiered on Nickelodeon in 1991 and had massive success and even a spin-off series. The show centers around four babies: Tommy, Chuckie and twins Phil and Lil. It also featured Tommy’s spoiled rotten cousin, Angelica, and—in later episodes—their neighbor, Suzie Carmichael. The five characters get into all kinds of misadventures while trying to understand the complicated world around them. They are also joined by their parents and grandpa as supporting characters.

The show ran from 1991-2006 and had many animated movie adaptations and one spin-off, which showed the babies as teenagers navigating high school. The show also received numerous awards and nominations, such as six nominations for the Primetime Emmy Awards, a Walk of Fame Award, four Daytime Emmy award wins, six Kids’ Choice Awards and one World Animation Celebration award.

While this is not a comprehensive list by any means of all the best ‘90s cartoons, it is just an ounce of the greatness that is ‘90s cartoons. These shows were not only entertaining and funny, but they were also part of many millennials’ childhoods and now are nostalgic. They will remain in the hearts of late 20 and 30-year old’s hearts forever and provide them and their children sarcastic joy for years to come.

Erica George, Louisiana State University, Shreveport

Erica George

Louisiana State University, Shreveport
English, Literary Studies Concentration