Illustration by Emily Daugherty, Ohio State University

Don’t Throw Out My Legos

How these little bricks have impacted an entire generation.

One of my earliest memories involves two things. One being sheer joy and the other being tiny yet vibrantly colorful little blocks. I can remember building to my heart’s content, things of all shapes and sizes. I recall smashing them apart and creating something entirely new. I even remember this huge cardboard box that I filled with all the bricks that I had collected over the years. For someone with bad memory, this is pretty unusual since most times I cannot remember what I had for breakfast. Yet these blocks have created an imprint in my mind that I can remember with vivid detail. The bricks in question? Legos.

Nearly everyone knows what Legos are. Whether you remember building them as a kid or if you ever fell victim to stepping on one. Blocks of all types lay scattered amongst children’s floors all across homes around the world. Parents from nearly every nation buy these Danish line of toys for their children come Christmas time and birthdays. These toys have even evolved into an entire movie franchise told solely through Legos. Yet the most interesting part of all this does not derive from the success of the company in its primary audience of children. It comes from adults. 

Kids toys are meant for… well, kids. We typically think of toys as something that is played with in childhood and forgotten once our teenage years begin. No one bats an eye at this concept – and it seems to be the normal way of things – yet Lego has turned that notion on its head. More and more adults are buying Legos, and this time it’s not for their children. This phenomenon comes on the heels of a generational change. Those who used to be the little kids playing with their Lego Bionicle sets are now full-fledged adults. They have jobs, houses (for the most part), and some even already have kids of their own. Now typically this generational change would also see adults discarding their childish toys and embracing more mature pursuits. The exact opposite seems to be occurring as adults increasingly buy Legos for their own benefit; which begs the question, why?

The most obvious answer is simple. Legos are nostalgic. Most of the generation that experienced the early 2000s Lego boom grew up with the brand on full display 24/7. You may have grown up receiving numerous Lego games, from “Lego Indiana Jones”’ to “Lego Batman” As well as, holding the dreams and memories of wanting to go to LegoLand and the local Lego store. Suffice it to say, our generation’s childhood was rife with Lego Paraphernalia. So much so that these simple construction toys may trigger a wave of nostalgia for a time that has long passed. Legos have inexplicably been linked with our fondest childhood memories, with their presence as an almost omnipresent backdrop. This effect is doubled down by the brand associations that Lego has cultivated, with many of our favorite movies, TV shows, and comics being just as deeply intertwined.

To this day I cannot think of the Millenium Falcon without also conjuring up the image of the nearly eight-hundred-dollar Lego version. The same goes for the DC, Marvel, and Ninjago franchises. The ways that this generation’s childhood has been steeped in the Lego world plays a major role in the recent uptick in adult Lego habits. Yet I believe there is an even deeper reason. Escapism. Legos provide an escape. Now this is not the same type of escape as, say binge watching a whole series on Netflix. Rather, this type of escape seems to contradict our fast-paced modern world in a way that is sorely needed. 

One of the things I remember most about Legos in my childhood was that anything was possible. There were instructions of course, but at any point, I could throw these out and just build whatever my heart desired. There were no expectations, no one could tell me what I was creating was wrong. Once they got thrown into my pile of Legos, they stopped being part of a set and began to be building blocks to creating a new reality. These durable little bricks of joy held countless adventures, innumerable ideas, and a way to express myself in a simplistic and fulfilling manner. 

In a world that is so focused on doing things in a conventional way, these Legos seemed to provide a succor that I couldn’t yet fully comprehend. When building, it did not matter that the structure was not perfect, nor did it matter that it was not what was originally planned. Nothing was stopping me from turning a Rocketship into a race car, and then destroying it all and making something entirely new. The possibilities were endless and as more burgeoning adults are realizing, this is not always the case in the real world. 

When you open a Lego set the crackling of the plastic baggies greet you with the familiarity of an old friend. The sound of Legos falling into piles clinking and clanking reminds you of simpler times. You take out the vibrant multicolored instruction book and begin to embark on another journey where the result does not truly matter. And building, sheds the stress away, filling you with the childlike wonderment of infinite possibilities that come rushing back to you as if you never left. This is the true magic of Legos and the reason that it has left an indelible mark on our generation.If your brain needs a break, just follow the instructions, and enjoy the relaxing effect of building the set. If your creativity is feeling stifled, then throw out those instructions and create whatever lies in your mind’s eye.

Legos are being bought by adults at an increasing rate because they give us the ability to escape the daily grind of corporate America. We can fling all our worries and responsibilities of adulthood away with a simple opening of a box and let our true selves be seen through our tiny creations. Legos allow us to tap into the childlike optimism that, even if just for a short time, makes the world seem light again. These tiny little blocks of no consequence, have truly become a cultural touchstone and a valid form of relief for a whole generation. While they can easily be seen as just another kid’s toy, this notion grossly undervalues the impact that it has had on our society. Legos are a marker of our times and have become a haven in this hectic world we live in. So maybe go splurge and buy that Lego flower set you wanted, or even save a bit for that Lego X-Wing. Who knows, it may make you feel that childlike wonder once more. 

Noah Hernandez, University of Texas at San Antonio

Noah Hernandez

University of Texas at San Antonio

"Noah Hernandez is an aspiring journalist, currently living in San Antonio. He is an English Major at the University of Texas at San Antonio and enjoys singing, reading, and writing."