An article about "The Nightmare Before Christmas" features a monochrome silhouette of Jack Skellington and Sally and Oogie Boogie.
Illustration by Roberto Soto

6 Spooky Facts About Tim Burton’s ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’

In celebration of the film’s 30th anniversary this October, we recap 6 facts about Disney’s 90s animated classic.

Here are six spooky facts about the 30th Anniversary of Disney’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas.”

Going into Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas” blindly was an intriguing experience. For years and throughout several holidays, this has been a beloved fan favorite. Having never seen what is considered a staple holiday movie introduced an array of iconic characters, original songs and plot. 

The production team carefully considered every detail during the production of this film from its timely October release and the stars who voice the characters. Over the span of 30 years, this film has become a tradition for many that have watched. 

THIS IS AN ADAPTATION!

If you’ve reached the end of the film, you would have seen the adaptation credits: ‘Adapted By: Michael McDowell.’This film was actually based on a short poem that Tim Burton composed back in 1982 when the spooky creator worked as an animator for Walt Disney Feature Animation. Entitled “Twas The Night Before Christmas,” Burton actually pitched the poetry piece to Disney as a stop-motion movie in 1983. Though it did not initially work out, the poem inspired the production team to develop the character designs for Jack Skellington, Zero (the ghoulish dog) and Santa Claus (or famously known as Sandy Claws). Ten years later, Disney would release the film, unlocking a new chapter in Burton’s legacy. 

SONGS BEFORE THE MOVIE

As you watch, you’ll find that the majority of the film is music. Characters communicate with one another or express their ideas through song, like in “Jack’s Lament,” when Jack Skellington expresses his discontent about being the King of Halloween

What most do not know is the songs were actually created before the film and its dialogue/plot. Well-known composer, Danny Elfman was the individual behind the beloved “The Nightmare Before Christmas” soundtrack. Despite there being no script to go off of and really no core plot (other than the poem), Elfman based his compositions on Burton’s descriptions of the potential plot and sketches of characters. The result: the musical soundtrack that fans still love today. 

DANNY ELFMAN’S CONTRIBUTION 

In addition to the iconic soundtrack, Elfman made quite a few contributions to the production of this film. Though the spoken dialogue of Jack Skellington is voiced by Chris Sarandon – the vocals in the singing scenes were done by Elfman. He also plays two other characters. He voices Barrel, one of the trick-or-treaters that works for Oogie Boogie as well as the clown with the Tear-Away Face who rides a unicycle. 

If it wasn’t already obvious based on the music, the composer is extremely talented when it comes to creating the sonic atmosphere of Halloween Town.

THE BATTLE OF HOLIDAYS

Despite the film’s initial release being in October, there has been quite a bit of debate on what type of holiday film this is. Director Henry Selick actually confirmed that “The Nightmare Before Christmas” is in fact a Halloween movie. At any time throughout this year this might be your go-to watch but just FYI — this flick is perfect for the spooky season

JACK SKELLINGTON CAMEOS

For those who consider Jack Skellington their favorite characters, you’ll be pleased to find out the “Pumpkin King” is actually given screen-time in a number of other films

Another Burton classic, “BeetleJuice” shows a brief scene with Skellington atop of BeetleJuice’s carnival carousel hat.

In yet another Burton creation, a semblance of Jack is visible in “James And The Giant Peach” on the face of a haunted shipwreck. 

If that isn’t cool enough, he’s featured in even more films. The titles include “Coraline,” “Princess And The Frog,” “Alice In Wonderland,” “Sleepy Hollow” and, oddly enough, “Finding Nemo.” Next time you view one of these titles, look out for the Jack Skellington-Easter eggs!

DADDY JACK

Another interesting fact for lovers of this flick “The Nightmare Before Christmas” actually has an extended-ending scene! As per the original ending, Jack and Sally end up together when they realize their intentions with one another to be aligned. 

However, in the film’s soundtrack there is an epilogue which features Santa Claus visiting Jack after several years. In the time passed, he comes to find that Jack is actually a dad. This scene is not featured in the motion picture version of the film, but it would be cool to watch this sound bite unfold on screen. 

So whether you consider this flick a Halloween watch or one for the Christmas time, it’s streaming now on Disney+. Just in time for the fall season – relive the magic of “The Nightmare Before Christmas.”

Or catch the extended 30th Anniversary re-release in theaters Oct. 20, 2023

Maybe you’ll see Daddy Jack. 

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.