An illustration of three wall shelves holding books, gifts and other items book lovers might have.

7 Unique Gift Ideas for Every Reader in Your Life

Instead of getting them yet another book they may or may not like, why not try one of these items?

So you have a book-loving friend, family member or partner. For the most part, they’re a pretty easy demographic to shop for. Just buy them a book, right? This is a good option for the most part. It’s a gift that always lands for me personally. Although, I have a very specific taste for books, so I’ll occasionally keep a TBR (To Be Read) list for my loved ones to choose from. This makes me the easiest person to shop for. It guarantees a gift that I will enjoy and utilize whilst also maintaining the element of surprise, considering I won’t know which book they picked.

It’s a system, and it works for the most part. However, for someone who wants to step it up a notch, forgo the expectations and gift their book lover something truly special, there are other options. As a bookworm myself, I can admit there are some gifts out there I have always wanted and secretly wished someone would buy for me: this list is a manifestation of that.

While there are a thousand other lists out there, I find that a lot of these lists tend to be polluted with a specific kind of literature. The stereotype that all readers consume the same genres of literature leads to bookish gifts that not everyone can enjoy. This list will be free of those, and I will instead compile a list for any and all book lovers out there.

Personalized Book Embosser

I’ve wanted a book embosser ever since I first saw one while scrolling through social media. I can think of nothing more entertaining than to spend 30 to 40 minutes going through every single one of my books and embossing a page with my name. It’s a thoughtful and cost-efficient option that lends itself to what would undoubtedly become a cherished ritual for your favorite bibliophile.

Cost: $6-$50

An Annotated Book

It’s a gift so thoughtful I think I’d actually cry if someone gave it to me. It works with both a new book or a book known to be their favorite. Reading a book for the first time with a friend’s thoughts spooled out on the margins would be akin to reading comments online or maybe even being in a book club. It shares an experience, and it would be a truly precious gift to anyone who has a favorite book or has potentially, like me, given you a list of their most highly anticipated reads. It’s an inexpensive way to show someone that they’re important to you.

Annotated books can truly augment the reading experience for anyone who reads too fast or thoughtlessly by forcing them to slow down and truly digest all that they are reading. This gift idea also leads into the next couple of items that can be gifted alongside it.

Cost: $0

Sticky Tabs

Sticky tabs are an important item in the repertoire of any book reader who annotates, is prone to re-reading or revisits a book for opinions. This item could make up one-third of an unofficial annotation kit. People often buy sticky tabs for their books, and every reader has a different process. Some people will link certain colors with certain characters or certain moods. If they’re more advanced, they’ll separate certain literary devices with different tab colors. Some readers also coordinate the colors of their sticky tabs with the color schemes of their book. This can go hand-in-hand with the gift listed above, as it’s a gift that readers can utilize when receiving an annotated book.

Cost: $5-$12

Highlighters and Pens

Just like sticky tabs, these are gifts that would accompany another gift or could be considered the final portions of an unofficial annotation kit. The highlighter can be of any brand, although I would advise investing in ones that don’t bleed and potentially have a smear guard. This can be an important asset for documenting specific moments in the text. Similar to the highlighter, I would recommend a smudge-proof pen that won’t bleed through the thinner pages of a novel.

Cost: $5-$20

Customized VistaPrint Bookmark

It’s a cute, versatile gift for any book lovers in your life, and it offers the chance for them to open their book with a smile every time they sit down to read. With VistaPrint, you have the option to create your own design; the freedom here is what really makes the gift. You could choose to embellish the bookmark with a quote from their favorite book or author, a funny joke, an inside joke between the two of you, their name, nickname and so on. VistaPrint even offers the option to upload your own pictures to print on the bookmark.

Cost: $8.99

Journal Shop Bookbinding Kit

This kit could be a really fun option for book lovers curious about the process of making books and might even ignite a hobby for someone who was previously unaware that such things existed. It could also be a good gift for those looking to bond with their friend, you can chat as you bind books alongside them.

Cost: $63

Library TBR Cards

Library TBR Cards can be useful for someone with a growing To Be Read list. I’m at the point where the number of books I own and have read is dangerously close to surpassing the number of books I own and haven’t read, so a gift like this would be incredibly useful and appreciated.

Cost: $21.99

Reatha-Mae Newman, SUNY College at Brockport

Reatha-Mae Newman

SUNY College at Brockport
Creative Writing and International Studies

1. Unquestionably consider that which you said.
    Your favorite justification appeared to be at the net the simplest factor to take into accout of.
    I say to you, I certainly get irked at the same time
    as folks think about worries that they just do not recognize about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and outlined
    out the entire thing with no need side effect , other
    people could take a signal. Will probably be again to get more.
    Thank you