Illustration by Destiny Hall Harper, University of the Arts

The Unspoken Connection of Instagram Reels

With all the negative connotations surrounding social media, let’s take a moment to appreciate the camaraderie that it builds. 

This article discusses the way that Instagram reels construct a sense of familiarity across generations.

Social media is no saint. From curating body image issues and spreading misinformation to desensitizing of serious events, it’s no secret that social media has a dark, damaging underbelly. Despite its abundance of issues, there is an unsuspected highlight that deserves to be acknowledged. As the apps have evolved to encourage users to think outside the box in their posting, the byproduct is creative content that sparks relatability. 

It’s easy to feel like you are alone in your experiences. Many times the weight of our struggles seems too much to bear, and we assume that no one understands us. Even though it might feel like you’re unique in your problems, in reality, most of the time someone else has gone through the exact same thing as you. Whether it’s a wife joking about her frustration with her husband not doing his chores or the peculiarities of sibling dynamics, the shared experiences are endless.

Many of us are drawn to the captivating ways social media users creatively depict stories from their lives. We get exposed to the universal experiences that make us feel seen, reminding us that we are far from alone in our everyday endeavors.   

As a member of Gen Z, social media has been an integral part of my life growing up. The majority of my generation doesn’t have to think twice about how to maneuver the interface of apps. It’s like second nature. As my siblings and I have grown up, we introduced our parents to the network of Instagram. We’ve taught them the importance of unspoken social media etiquette, especially reminding them to please not double-click the pictures we show them without our permission. 

One of my favorite parts of this newfound pastime is my mom’s obsession with Instagram reels. Her liking of the short video clips came as quite a shock after she has vehemently hated social media for as long as I can remember. She constantly talks about how she despises the toxicity that comes with social media and how it perpetuates a culture of constant comparison. However, she has no problem with the short and silly videos that make her laugh.  

I know she’s gone down the rabbit hole of reels when I hop onto the app and see the endless notifications, sharing her fixations. She takes a particular liking to charcuterie board tips, adorable dog videos and relatable wife material. After one particularly loaded reels session before she went to bed, she came into my room giddy and in awe. She couldn’t believe how many people on the internet had the exact same experience as her! 

Even though the user demographic of Instagram is primarily between the ages of 16-34, the relatability of content doesn’t just end with those ages. Seeing my mom (who falls into the Boomer generation) find enjoyment and commonality within social media has been a thought-provoking journey. I’ve begun to build a different type of relationship with my parents, one that’s similar to the ones I have with my friends. 

My mom now has another means of communicating with me rather than just texting or calling. I’ve received several reels highlighting the love a mother has for their child and the varying ways it’s shown. It lets me know that even if she isn’t explicitly saying it, she’s thinking about me and wants to show she cares for me.  

Just because social media is targeted at younger audiences doesn’t mean that it’s only able to reach them. In many ways, Instagram reels have helped bridge the gap between younger and older generations, allowing a connection based on shared experiences. 

The relatability of posts seen on video-sharing apps such as TikTok or Instagram Reels allows for an interconnectedness across the globe. No matter where you are, how old you are or who you are, there is something for everyone. 

Perhaps that’s the reason why these social media platforms are so addictive. There’s a strong desire to feel as if we aren’t alone, and the apps provide just that. It’s a built-in community, allowing us to construct a support system without having to leave the comfort of our houses. People love to feel seen, and when we share all our experiences on a platform that reaches billions of people, it’s nearly impossible for us to not relate to at least one post we come across. 

The drive for a sense of security is a strong one, and Instagram reels feeds into that addiction. The algorithm, or the process set up by the company to maximize user engagement, ensures that we are seeing what we want, but is that necessarily a bad thing?

When we are seeking information on important matters going on in the world, it’s crucial to be informed on all aspects of the problem. But if we are looking for a quick escape into the mindless world of scrolling, what’s the harm in only seeing what we want?

Sometimes all we need is a little validation, and while social media has its downsides, it also allows us to relax into the thought of an invisible community backing us up on all fronts. Instagram reels reminds us that there’s nothing new under the sun. 

Christine Bardos, Santa Clara University

Christine Bardos

Santa Clara University
English, Minor in Creative Writing

"Hi! I’m Christine Bardos. I'm a student at Santa Clara University majoring in English and minoring in Creative Writing. When I don’t have my nose in a book, I love to hike, bake, and travel."