In an article about the Kentucky Derby, horse racers compete.

The 2023 Kentucky Derby

Horse racing's most illustrious event is where fashion and sport collide.

Three-year-old racehorse Mage scored a debut victory in a recognized high-stakes race at the Kentucky Derby, the first competition of this year’s Triple Crown season. His outstanding performance was a testament to his toughness and perseverance, especially when he defeated his bitter rival, Two Phil’s. When the post positions were chosen, Mage was rated as a 15-1 favorite to start from the eighth gate. These odds dictated that Mage was predicted to win once out of every 16 attempts. He performed well at the Fountain of Youth Stakes in March, finishing in fourth place. After that, he also demonstrated excellent promise by finishing second in the Florida Derby on April 1, 2023. 

Mage demonstrated a strong will during the contest at Gulfstream Park, making a focused dash for the finish line as he approached turn four. However, his competitor Forte caught up to him from behind in the closing stages of the race, spoiling his attempt to win. At Churchill Downs, however, Forte was not there to stop Mage’s impressive efforts to take the victory. Mage and Two Phils engaged in a vicious head-to-head battle in the race’s tense closing stages, as competitor Angel of Empire’s last-ditch surge came up just short.

Javier Castellano, a well-known rider, may have enjoyed the impressive victory more than anybody else. In the renowned Run for the Roses, he had never experienced triumph before. He told reporters that his victory left him feeling like he was “on top of the world,” and added, “If one thing has been consistent in my career, I never give up. I always made an effort to think positively and search for the best horse to run in one of the greatest events in the world.” 

Ramiro Restrepo, Mage’s owner, had many reasons to be happy as well. Restrepo and his ownership group managed to turn a $290,000 investment into a mind-boggling $1.86 million in prize money. Restrepo, who was overjoyed by the triumph, declared that his “emotions are just through the roof.”  In an interview, he talked about how “The ownership group is four different groups from four different backgrounds, all different age ranges, and nationalities.” As John Clay of the Lexington Herald-Leader stated, “I mean, it’s one heck of a melting pot that came together for this horse, so the amount of celebration that’s going to go on, I can’t even describe it moving forward.” 

Even though Mage attracted a lot of attention in Lexington, Kentucky, Forte’s absence from the event stood out. The horse, who was the betting favorite, withdrew from the race that day due to a foot injury. Forte had two weeks to recover prior to the Preakness Stakes on May 20, 2023. If he is cleared to compete, it’ll be an exciting chance to see if Mage can better defend against Forte in what will undoubtedly be an exciting rematch from the Florida Derby now that he has gained confidence and experience. 

In addition to the high-stakes horse races, the Kentucky Derby also delivers a thrilling parade of hats that steals the show for those who like spectacle and fashion. Even though the three-year-old horse, Mage, won the race, the extravagant hat show captured the attention of many people watching the esteemed event. The official dress code of the Kentucky Derby acknowledges the significance of this tradition, stating, “What sets the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks apart from other sports and entertainment events? Is it the world-class horses? The Hollywood stars? The romantic Twin Spires? Well, first and foremost, it’s the hats!” The variety of millinery on display this past weekend at the 149th running of the Kentucky Derby didn’t disappoint.

This year’s hat display included a colorful palette of magenta, violet and green, making color the main attraction. A few participants were able to combine elegance and simplicity in their wardrobe, despite the Kentucky Derby not being an occasion where subtlety in clothing normally wins. A mother-daughter team presented a beautiful combination of mint green fascinators, indicating their shared passion for the event, while an observer made the choice of a delicate black fascinator decorated with a little veil. A fascinator is a style of formal headwear often worn by women at special events that is smaller and lighter than a traditional hat. It is usually elaborate in design and tends to be attached by a clip, headband or comb. 

The sight of a wide-brimmed hat that looks like it could support a tiny racecourse on its brim is what many people look forward to seeing when they attend the Kentucky Derby. Photographer Lili Kobielski’s lens expertly photographed the most eye-catching and unforgettable hats at the 2023 Derby, displaying the colorful and varied fashion that is an essential component of this legendary horse racing event.

Joshua Shweiki, University of Maryland, College Park

Joshua Shweiki

University of Maryland, College Park
Government and Politics