Thoughts x
Motel 6

Airbnb’s are nice, but what about the old road trip classic?

Maybe Motel 6 seems like a distant memory, something that only exists as a relic of Americana or family road trips, and especially in the age of Airbnb, it might not seem as relevant as it did before. However, recent Airbnb scandals and rising hotel prices mean that the iconic motel chain is even more pertinent to your travel plans (and if you need something a little longer term, there’s Studio 6, perfect for when you’re in between housing). So without further ado, here are six reasons to check into the place that will “leave the light on for you.”

1. Actually Affordable Prices

Founded in 1962, Motel 6 originally charged just $6 a night. Of course, times change, and inflation exists, so the chain couldn’t afford to keep that price forever, but it’s still pretty cheap: Depending on where you are, rooms can cost as little as $40 a night. If you’re on a tight college budget, this is ideal — save money on the lodging, and spend your money exploring your travel destination. There’s a big world out there, so why not explore it instead of sleeping in? The price goes up a little in big cities like Los Angeles, so make sure to reserve your room online today at Motel6.com for the best price.

The extended-stay version, Studio 6, can go as low as $35 a night if you’re spending a week there. You could crash on a friend’s couch, but if you don’t want to be up in someone’s space, this place is ideal. The case is even stronger if you’re in a new city: don’t waste money on a hostel where you can’t get any privacy. Stick with the room under the tried-and-true, red, and blue logo.

2. Reliability

If you’re going on a trip, what’s the No. 1 thing that’s going to stretch your dollar the most? Planning. You can make sure that you see all the things you want to see, and if you know ahead of time how much you’re going to spend for lodging and transportation, you can get some peace of mind when you’re paying for food and other fun stuff. That’s why you need to know that when you make those big purchases — like where you’re going to sleep — you want it actually to be there when you get to your vacation spot.

Unlike places like Airbnb, there aren’t going to be any surprises when you check into a Motel 6. Once you’ve made your reservation, your room will be there for you; there’s no need to worry about the host having an emergency or rentals violating city ordinances getting shut down. Not to mention, Airbnb has been coming under fire lately for the bait-and-switch scammers that have taken a liking to their app. At Motel 6, once you’ve booked your room, it’s your room, and you know what you’re getting into, so get reserving today.

Ditto for the Studio 6. You’re not going to find many places that will rent to you month-by-month, and if you’re in-between places, you might need a temporary place to crash, especially if you’re moving to a new city. Don’t stress about renting from someone shady: You know exactly who you’re dealing with when you book with Studio 6.

3. Accommodations for Your Pet

Where would we be without our furry friends? Dogs lose their mind when you leave the house for the day, never mind how much they’re going to miss you when you’re gone for a week or so. And as for cats … well, they might play hard to get, but trust us, they’re going to miss you too. Motel 6 doesn’t charge any additional fees for your pets regardless of size, and Studio 6 charges $10 a night. Go online and secure a room for you and your best pal.

Motel 6

4. Nice Amenities

The pool is nice, and if you need to keep up with your exercise schedule, move on down to the fitness room. Towels, soap, and toothpaste are provided for you, so you can avoid that awkward feeling of borrowing your friend’s’ — or a stranger’s — sundries.

If you’re staying longer, then look at Studio 6. There are even more amenities to make your extended stay comfier. There’s a nice workspace for taking care of anything you need to do and someone to make sure you have enough miscellaneous stuff so you can focus on your things.

5. It’s Always There for You

If you’re a planner, Motel 6 is perfect, but what if you like flexibility? Go ahead and get your spontaneous road trip started because Motel 6 has got your back. There are over 1,400 locations in the United States and Canada, so you can just hit the road and know that you’ll find one somewhere just off the highway. They consistently have the lowest prices, and unlike with random one-off motels that seem to spring up, you know exactly what you’re getting when you check into the place under the iconic Motel 6 logo.

6. Nostalgia

Whether you want to indulge the nostalgia of those old family road trips, or you’re a prospective Jack Kerouac wanting to capture more spontaneous vibes before so much of travel revolved around apps, Motel 6 is perfect. The recognizable layouts, the miniature coffee machines, the local news that’s just dissimilar enough from your channels to feel almost comfortingly unfamiliar — it’s almost freeing in away. You’re in a new place, but you’re somewhere that’s ubiquitous in the American imagination, so there’s no sense of displacement. Motel 6 has been part of this nation’s landscape for nearly 60 years. Take part in it.