Australia

Must-Do Things in Australia That You Should Definitely Try During Winter Break

You've got a lot of options in the Land Down Under.

Every year young people from the U.S. go to Australia looking for a different experience. Australia definitely has a lot to offer, starting from the unique wildlife to clubbing, gambling and more. If you, like many others, are overwhelmed by the variety of things that you can do in Australia, check out the list below to help you choose the best experiences you can have in the Land Down Under.

Drive the Great Ocean Road

There’s a reason why The Great Ocean Road is one of the most talked-about activities in Australia. It’s one big scenic drive where you will get to experience the windswept Southern Ocean. On this drive, you will see craggy cliffs, empty beaches and experience wildlife. You can even stay at the beachside village and get the feel for the local lifestyles. The road spans 249 miles.

Visit the Queen Victoria Market

You might think that all farmer market types are the same and you might be partially correct. However, Queen Victoria Market is a completely different experience. A favorite among the Melbourne locals, this market serves as the county’s culinary capital that’s also a local hot spot for fresh food, artisan cheese and more. It’s also referred to as “Vic Market” and it’s a great place to stock up on souvenirs for your friends and family back home.

Visit Dandenong Ranges

Located less than an hour from Melbourne, this particular experience offers unmatched scenery paired with unique adventures. Wurundjeri people were the original custodians of this land and the marks of their rich cultural heritage are what make this land so special. This could be your perfect day trip out of the city that you will remember for a long time. It’s also advisable to bring your own food.

Explore Australia’s Gambling Scene

Gambling is very popular in Australia. In every major city, there are multiple gambling venues that offer a variety of table games, slot machines and non-stop entertainment. Some of the country’s casinos are famous worldwide and attract visitors from all over the world. Depending on where you are, you could go for Crown Casino or the Star Casino or explore some of the less famous venues. Casinos in Australia are always packed with people of all age groups. If you love gambling or are interested to find out more about it, make sure visitors get familiar with the Australian gambling scene.

Go See the Penguins at St. Kilda

You should take the opportunity to go and observe penguins in their natural habitat. If you are up for it, go visit St. Kilda’s little penguins. They should be present year-round. Most of them come from the sea after sunset — so you would have to go at night to see them but it’s definitely worth doing. You will have an option to stay one night at a nearby hotel to make sure that you won’t miss out on the cute little birdies.

A Day Tour of Sydney

This one is pretty basic but it had to be on the list. Sydney is full of attractions, fun activities and sightseeing. You should definitely set aside a day or two during your travels to explore one of the largest and the most famous cities in Australia.

Visit Blue Mountain

One million hectares of tall forests, sandstone cliffs, waterfalls and canyons make up the breathtaking Blue Mountains. This is a world heritage area so don’t miss out on the chance to witness a blue horizon of eucalyptus trees. There are walking tracks to help you explore this sight better and give you a chance to marvel at the impressive rock formations and underground caves. And if you get hungry after a long day of hiking, there’s Darley’s restaurant nearby.

Go Clubbing in Surfers Paradise

Australia’s Gold Coast has some of the biggest clubs in the country, so if you’re a fan of exciting nightlife, this would be a perfect opportunity to make some memories in Australia. There are so many clubs to choose from that you will definitely find the one you like, at least by the end of the night. In addition to that, there is a variety of theme parks in the area that you can explore during the day to try and shake off the hangover from the night before.