nyc skyscrapers from groundview

Living the High Life in Manhattan

The Manhattan skyline is very distinct thanks to its modern skyscrapers, but very few people can afford to live in them. What does that say about the American Dream?

The definition of the American Dream has changed over the years. It used to be more about finding opportunities, but now it is about attaining wealth and believing in materialism. People are either constrained in society or they have social mobility. That’s especially true in large cities such as New York City. The skyscrapers of Manhattan contribute to the famous New York City skyline and certainly don’t go unnoticed. Some skyscrapers are ostentatious, while others are subtler. Regardless of the exterior design, skyscrapers stand tall and count as desirable places to live in for the wealthy.

The individuals who dwell in these skyscrapers live in the sky and it’s a very isolating life that’s different from what’s down below. Perhaps people who have the money and resources to live this kind of life want to stand out from the others. In that sense, it’s a statement being made about how they made it in America. They want to prove to everyone that they’re successful and aren’t scared of living an opulent life.

Leading an extravagant life is nice, but it comes at a cost. In an article from The New York Times titled “800 Feet Above the City,” a resident of one of these skyscrapers explained why an individual shouldn’t dwell too high above the city. It’s easier to lose touch with reality from up above, and people should eventually come back down to earth, literally and figuratively.

New York City is sometimes referred to as the city of dreams and that makes sense. Manhattan and its soaring skyscrapers are the center of the universe, the financial capital of the world, the center of the fashion industry and many other supreme industries that make up the foundation of New York City. When people talk about moving up and making it in America, that’s the dream they want to pursue. Many young adults want to live a comfortable life in Manhattan, but that’s hard to achieve these days. Capitalism makes it challenging to achieve the American Dream. Some think that the American Dream is an illusion. For others, it’s subjective. The American Dream can mean living in a nice home, owning two cars and having a family. Alternatively, it could mean attaining a certain amount of wealth and then giving back to society once a person becomes successful.

People should balance between materialism and opportunity when they think about their values. Is it important to obtain certain things just for the purpose of showing off to others? Or is it more important to give back to society, connect with others and generate new ideas that could improve the world? The future of New York City housing includes building more skyscrapers, but it is also important to account for the less fortunate. Gentrification is defined as the displacement of poorer residents in an area once new businesses, more housing and wealthier people move in.  Some people would consider gentrification an issue, while others wouldn’t because the process creates something new. It’s important to innovate and modernize things while at the same time preserving historical landmarks and older apartment buildings.

Furthermore, New York City shouldn’t just be for the rich. Manhattan isn’t a class-inclusive city and it’s certainly not an affordable city either. That’s why it’s important for people who aren’t at the top of the corporate ladder to also be capable of living a comfortable life in New York City. Living a comfortable life doesn’t mean extravagance. It means having food, water, clothing, shelter and some luxuries. A comfortable life means not having to worry about money or the basic needs that you must have in order to truly live.