In an article about cinema, a soda bottle and bucket of popcorn sit in front of a movie theater screen that reads "Cinemas in Southern California."

SoCal Cinema Spots To Put On Your Bucket List

For anyone who enjoys the movie theater scene, these locations might be for you!

Much like coffee lovers, film buffs take their love of cinema seriously. For movie goers, their local AMC or Regency Theatres usually does the trick. For coffee or any other niche interest, trying new places can be a fun new experience. In the Southern California area, finding a unique independent theater is not too difficult, considering they are littered throughout the region. Each spot has something special to offer and sports a rich history.

If you are a tourist and movie lover in the SoCal area or you are a native looking for something new, here are some movie theater gems that will offer a distinct experience from just your regular theater.

1. Aero Theatre – Santa Monica, California

This theater, prestigiously referred to as an ‘American Cinematheque’ can be found in the city of Los Angeles – in which the love of cinema is celebrated. The theater’s mission statement promises a communal movie going experience for all film-lovers. The best part of this location is the types of films that are shown. Movies that range from vintage 60s film to early 2000s horror and occasionally newly released content. The founder, Sydney Pollack opened this theater with the intention of offering  an array of diverse films and in-person events tailored to the movies shown. Q&A events are often hosted and take place before the showing. Recently, there was a 30th anniversary showing of “The Fugitive.” These events range from theater wide discussions for new and old pictures. Regular movie-goers can even sign up for a membership with Aero which provides perks with tickets.

The Aero Theater even makes a cameo in the cult-classic,  “Donnie Darko”. The popular scene first reveals the theater as the location where Donnie meets up with a girl. There, the front view –including the sign – is shown. Inside when Frank, the bunny who is guiding Donnie, makes his appearance inside the theater. Though they seem to be the only ones there, you can see the interior of the cinema. This theater is now a historical landsite and yet another reason you might want to hit this spot.

1. New Beverly Cinema – Los Angeles, California

The most remarkable fact about this cinema is that it belongs to director, Quentin Tarantino. Originally built and opened in the 1920s, this gem is also located in the heart of Los Angeles. A range of handpicked films are shown from classics to beloved horrors to Tarantino-directed pictures. Under the Quentin News tab of the theater’s website, details of Tarantino’s joint podcast, “Video Archives” are dissected and another movie tidbit for cinephiles to enjoy.

One of the coolest parts of this cinema experience is the aesthetic. The building’s structure is prettiest at night, with the red and gold sign glimmering and lit up. The double sided sign that says Beverly Cinema gives a jolt of excitement, knowing you have arrived at your destination. Matching the aesthetic of vintage theaters, the pictures’ titles that will be shown for the week are plastered underneath the building’s sign. The interior of the theater adds another dimension to this experience. The carpets are typical red-brown detailings with blue seats ready to be settled in. The interior has all the desired movie theater fixings, including a quaint popcorn machine, candy and Tarantino’s films’ posters. If Tarantino’s affiliation with this cinema isn’t reason enough, the ambience should be the motivating factor.

1. Roxy Stadium 11 – Camarillo, CA

Roxy Stadium 11 falls under a chain of theaters from the Santa Rosa Cinemas.  There are only two located in SoCal and this particular spot is prime. One of the most impressive parts of this theater is that it actually holds a screening schedule consistent with mainstream releases. If you are dying to watch a new movie, but want that unique cinema flair, this location should be your go-to. The front of the theater has the ‘Roxy’ sign in big red letters, similar to the other traditional movie-style, the sign lights up at night. The structure is relatively big with the opportunity to buy tickets outside, as well as the titles of the film showings plastered. 

The exciting part of this experience is that there are occasional promotions and events offered. The events range from special movie showings such as flashback cinema, with showings of GoodFellas or the Harry Potter films. These screenings are a great way to plan your visit to the Roxy around. Rewatching classics or selecting a new release at this location will be a great because of the Roxy’s ambience. 

1. Rooftop Cinema Club – Downtown Los Angeles, CA

The Rooftop Cinema Club stands as an untraditional theater experience – the title indicative of the kind of movie night you will have. On the rooftop of the 5th floor of Building 1 in Row DTLA, movies are shown and food is served. Classic concessions from popcorn to pretzels are offered – as well as dinner items that include burgers, hotdogs and even vegan options. A bar for the 21+ crowd delivers a number of tasty concoctions to sip on during the film. This location shows a mix of newer films and other beloved classics. Newly released showings and events like “Y2K Tuesdays” make for fun cinematic plans.

Reading about the rooftop cinema experience pales in comparison to actually going. The theater gem can only be done justice through your attendance. Outside on the rooftop, the film is shown using a projector and canvas. Night Time showings even grant the smell of fresh evening-air and stars littering the sky. The surrounding scenery is DTLA skyscrapers and the promise of  the sunsetting and endless skyline views. It completely builds the movie experience with the matching aesthetic of Los Angeles. With this SoCal cinema experience you never know what will be playing weeks in advance, leaving new screenings to be a surprise. If you are looking for a nighttime vibe, with a more adult ambience this location is definitely for you. 

Calling all cinephiles – if you are looking for your next movie theater experience one of these treasures might just be for you. Of course, there are a couple more in SoCal but these are great places to start. From the wide selection of movies to the rich history of each structure, when in California, visiting at least one of these should definitely be on your itinerary. 

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.