A white U HAUL truck with a red line struck through it and a blue bush drawn on it races across a rainbow, heading to who-knows-where. Pink silk streamers floats off the ends of a pink bouquet placed above a banner with "Just Hitched" written on it in black ink. The streamers flutter in the air against a grey background, implying the speed at which the vehicle must be racing.
Illustration by Macy Sinreich, Columbia University

U-Hauling and LGBTQ+ Relationships: The Dynamics of Speed in Love 

Love knows no speed limit, but within the LGBTQ+ community, there's a phenomenon that's driving relationships into the express lane.

Although the speed of a relationship can differ between couples, sapphics know the “bring a U-Haul to the second date” stereotype that plagues us.  From the slow burn of courtship to whirlwind romances, everyone follows their own unique rhythm when it comes to love. However, within the LGBTQ+ community, specifically with lesbians, there’s a phenomenon that has captured attention and ignited discussion: U-Hhauling. This colloquial term refers to the swift progression of romantic relationships, often leading to faster levels of commitment.

@heyfreesamples Uhaul have fun now 💕 #wlw #date #lesbian #lgbt #uhaul ♬ original sound – Rachel Samples

U-Hhauling isn’t merely about moving in together quickly; it symbolizes the intensity and rapid development of emotional connections within LGBTQ+ relationships. While it’s not universal among all LGBTQ+ couples, it’s a recognizable pattern that has earned its place in the community’s cultural lexicon.

@claire_holt12 is the strereotype true?!!? can we pls discuss bc i think abt this all the time 🌈👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩❤️‍🔥 #wlw #lesbian #uhaullesbian ♬ original sound – Claire Holt

For many, the journey of self discovery and acceptance as an LGBTQ+ individual can be challenging and often isolating. Once a sense of belonging is found within the community, the desire for connection and companionship can be profound. This longing, coupled with shared experiences and understanding, can accelerate the bonding process in relationships.

In contrast, societal norms and expectations surrounding LGBTQ+ relationships differ from those of heterosexual relationships, thus contributing to the U-Haul stereotype. In a world where heteronormativity dominates, LGBTQ+ individuals may feel a greater sense of urgency to solidify their relationships as a form of validation and security. U-Hauling can thus serve as a means of asserting the permanence of their love in a society that may not always recognize or validate it.

Jamie, a New York City native who identifies as a lesbian, spoke out about her firsthand experience with U-Hauling.

“I’ve been in a few relationships where things moved pretty quickly,” Jamie said. “There’s this sense of connection and understanding that’s hard to explain. It’s like you’ve found someone who truly gets you, and you don’t want to let go of that. I think there’s this unspoken bond when you find someone who has been through similar struggles or understands your journey. It creates an intense connection that can lead to wanting to build a life together sooner rather than later.”  

@kateoeight #stitch with @Decoding Reality sorry to my straight friend for calling you out ily #pridemonth #fyp #wlw ♬ Nocturne (Chopin) calm piano solo – もつ

Lesbians also tend to move in together so quickly because, Jamie continues,  “our relationships aren’t always seen as valid, there’s this pressure to prove the legitimacy of our love.” “Moving in together or committing quickly can be a way of solidifying that bond and saying, ‘We’re here, and our love is just as real as anyone else’s.’”

In contrast to the dynamics observed in LGBTQ+ relationships, heterosexual relationships often follow more traditional patterns of courtship. However, within these dynamics, there’s a prevalent understanding among women that men are typically not as communicative or expressive regarding wants, needs, emotions or expectations and goals in relationships compared to their female partners.

This difference in communication styles can sometimes lead to misunderstandings or frustrations within heterosexual relationships. The stereotypical image of the emotionally distant or stoic man and the emotionally expressive woman can create challenges in heterosexual relationships. It can be difficult for women to understand the emotional landscape of their male partners, leading to feelings of disconnect or dissatisfaction. Sapphics, however, are notorious for being mutually vulnerable and searching for understanding to better relate to their partner, thus contributing to their faster level of commitment.

@alanahcole #sapphic -sations a new #series where we talk all about #lesbian (& probably all #LGBTQIA ) topics & personal stories. @Daisy Guttridge & I talk about coming out to straight cis men, specifically how our opposing life experiences shape our reality today. #lgbt #lgbtcouples #lgbtcouple #lesbiancouple #lesbiancouples #lesbiancouplesoftiktok ♬ original sound – Alanah Cole

The differing dynamics observed in heterosexual relationships also highlight the unique qualities of LGBTQ+ relationships, particularly within the context of U-Hauling. In sapphic  relationships, where both partners may be more inclined to express their emotions and communicate freely, the rapid progression toward commitment can be understood as a natural extension of their shared experiences and emotional connection.

The slower pace and communication challenges often observed in heterosexual relationships may contribute to a different or silent set of expectations, where the desire for commitment and cohabitation may take longer to develop or may not occur at all.

Although, the fast pace of “u-hauling” is not all sunshine. It can amplify the emotional toll of a breakup if the relationship proves unsustainable. When two sapphics merge their lives hastily, disentangling becomes significantly more complicated. Untangling shared finances, living arrangements, and social circles can exacerbate feelings of loss and isolation, amplifying the grieving process. 

The rapid merging of lives can also serve as a smokescreen for controlling and manipulative behaviors, with one partner exploiting the intensity of emotions to assert power and dominance over the other. As the relationship progresses, the victim may find it increasingly challenging to recognize the warning signs of abuse amidst the whirlwind of affection and commitment. 

@lindsaygoodmancoaching #stitch with @sapphicsoph not saying it happens every time but please put a disclaimer on your pro UHAUL stuff! #abuseawareness #lesbian #lgbtq #lgbtqdv #lgbtqdvsurvivor #dvsurvivor #traumarecoverycoach ♬ original sound – Lindsay Goodman✨

Freeing oneself from such a relationship can be even more daunting, as the abuser may utilize the entwined nature of their lives to further manipulate and isolate their partner, making it difficult for them to seek support or escape the toxic dynamic. The emotional toll of navigating an abusive “u-hauled” relationship can be profound, perpetuating cycles of trauma and hindering the victim’s ability to cultivate personal growth and self-awareness as well as lead to tremendous heartache.

The phenomenon of U-Hauling within LGBTQ+ relationships among sapphic couples offers a fascinating glimpse into the dynamics of love and commitment. It is a testament to the unique experiences and challenges faced by individuals within the LGBTQ+ community, from the journey of self-discovery to the quest for validation and security in a society that may not always recognize their love as valid.

While U-Hauling signifies a rapid progression toward deeper connection and quickly moving in together for many, it is important to acknowledge the potential pitfalls that come with such intensity, including amplified turmoil in the event of a breakup and the risk of abuse masked by heavy levels of affection.

While each relationship and timeframe is unique, recognizing and appreciating the diverse ways in which love is expressed and experienced can lead to greater empathy and understanding within the LGBTQ+ community and beyond.

Sarah Erin, Brooklyn College

Contributing Writer

Sarah Erin

Brooklyn College

Creative Writing (BFA), English Literature & History (BA)

""
Sarah Erin is an LGBTQ+ poet and author. She adores her cats: Philip, Tony, and Evelyn. Her literary aspirations have inspired her bookish personality and unique journey of self-discovery. She runs primarily on coffee and tea. ""