4 Short Films You Should Watch For the First Time

Longer isn't always better.

I think it’s fair to say that everyone loves going to the movie theatre. What’s better than kicking back and making love to an extra-large tub of buttery popcorn and sipping on a 32oz Coca-Cola icee that probably cost more than your movie ticket? Although the movies are a great escape from reality, they can be pricey, which doesn’t exactly coincide with a college student’s tight budget.

A great alternative and a way to save time and conserve money is watching short films. Short-film makers have the ability to grasp an audience member and tell a captivating story in a limited amount of time. Their work is highlighted in a variety of film festivals such as Sundance, Canes and Aspen.

Short-films are extremely unique in that they don’t have complicated plots, they have a limited amount of characters and get straight to the authors point. They allow anyone with passion and a creative vision to emerge as a storyteller and filmmaker.

Short films are underrated and don’t get the amount of attention they deserve. YouTube is a great platform for these filmmakers to show off their hard-work and effort but these films get buried in a variety of other videos. Here’s some short-films, all found on YouTube, that I think are worth the watch.

“I Miss You”

“I Miss You,” is a short, six-minute film, made by a group of Australian filmmakers who call themselves The Beyond Project. The film features a soft, yet heart-breaking monologue that takes the audience through the struggles, hardships and strides of a wavering relationship.

The film embodies the series of emotions one is faced with as they endure a difficult break-up. The monologue is all through the male’s perspective and the audience can’t help but empathize with him as he reflects on his past and comes to realize he misses those special moments.

As human beings, we are bound to face feelings of passionate love, harsh rejection and loss, these strong emotions are inevitable. The script is soft and sweet where the speaker tells a story keeping a consistent inflection. The camera captures the different moments the couple experienced together including the first night they met and a variety of their dates.

The film is beautifully made and is one that almost everyone whose experienced loss can relate to. I’d definitely suggest this to anyone looking for a short film.

“Validation”

“Validation,” is a 16-minute short film by Kurt Kuenne that won the Best Short Film Award at the Heartland Film Festival. The film is charismatic and illustrates the power of acknowledging something you admire about another individual.

It takes place in a variety of settings where the audience follows the main character as he validates those that come across his path. Eventually, the series of events merges into a desirable love story. The film reminds people that, “You are great and what you do is so important.”

The content in this film serves to remind the audience that many times people don’t receive validating comments, but when they do, it generally can turn their entire day around.

The film is hard to watch without cracking a smile and is guaranteed to be uplifting, leaving every viewer longing to compliment everyone they encounter. This film is incredibly made and inspires many to strive to become a better version of themselves everyday while making smiles, happiness and laughter.

“One Minute Time Machine”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkBS4O3yvY

“One Minute Time Machine” published by Sploid, is an approximately five-minute short film that demonstrates the pressure we put on ourselves when trying to impress a love interest.

Every time James makes an advance on Regina and she does not reciprocate he pushes a magical red button that allows him to travel back in time and start all over. Wouldn’t that be nice if those things existed in our realities? James explores a series of cringe-worthy dad jokes that escalate quickly into explicit language adding to the overall humor of the film.

The plot is simple but effective; the story is short and sweet yet brilliantly hilarious. The setting is continual in that it all takes place on the same park bench. The faint and continuous background music is upbeat and lighthearted, setting the tone for the remainder of the film.

The film has won a variety of awards at film-festivals for is comedic aspects, screenplay, acting, picture and editing. I’d recommend this short-film to anyone looking for a good belly laugh.

“The Robbery”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc-MyAuqT80

“The Robbery” is a nine-minute short film by Jim Cummings. In 2017, it was nominated for the Short Film Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival. This dark comedy is meant for a mature audience and although exploring serious topics, it is incredibly hilarious.

The film follows a troubled woman, Crystal, and her endeavors at a convenience store, which don’t work out so well. Crystal attempts the rob the store and her plan goes downhill quick.

Although the audience finds her situation tickling, we can’t help but long for her to get out of the store before becoming convicted. Her potty-mouth and cell phone addiction makes her troubling situation all the better and ultimately adds to the comedic aspect.

The camera captures all the fast-moving action including, bullets, bow and arrows and physical fights. All these elements result in the audience’s eyes being glued to the screen trying to keep up with all of the action. Jim Cummings has a variety of published short films and if you enjoy “Robbery” you should check out his other pieces.

The majority of American’s don’t view short films, but instead view what’s mainstream in their local cinemas. Short films are cost-friendly and permit any aspiring filmmaker to explore their creative outlet.

Sometimes the best stories are told in the shortest fashion which makes it even easier to take the time out of your day to view them. These films certainly leave the audiences feeling motivated and or inspired to change or act. At the end of your day, kick back and watch one of these short films.

Sarah Hoenig, Texas A&M University

Sarah Hoenig

Texas A&M University
Communications