In an article about female-led comedies, a projection of a woman holding a comedy mask appears on a yellow wall.

The Most Underrated Female-Led Comedies

While men are often the protagonists of funny movies, here are our favorites female-led comedies.

Far too often, comedy movies have male leads and come from a perspective of what makes men laugh. For decades men have been leading this industry, but there is a plethora of comedies with female leads that are just as funny as their male counterparts. Because female-led movies typically get labeled as “chick flicks” and swept under the rug, oftentimes these films go unnoticed or underappreciated by the public. To combat this, here is list of some of the best comedies with female leads.

Easy A

Set in a high school, the plot revolves around Olive (Emma Stone), who gets caught up in a lie after telling her best friend Rhiannon (Aly Michalka) that she lost her virginity to a college guy. When the lie spirals and Olive is slut-shammed, she takes back her power by sewing an “A” on her clothes and pretending to hook up with various students to help their social status. Stone is an absolute powerhouse, and the storyline about taking her power back and using her sexuality as a weapon is one many women can relate to. The dynamic of women getting shamed for having sex while men are praised for it is a tale as old as time, but in this version of the story, Olive fights back, creating a powerful message for this hilarious film.

The Other Woman

When high-powered attorney Carly (Cameron Diaz) accidentally meets her boyfriend’s wife, Kate (Leslie Mann), the two begin an unconventional friendship. They bond over their shared scorn, and when they find a second mistress, Amber (Kate Upton), the three hatch a plan to get back at their former lover. The three women fall into typical archetypes: Carly is the career-driven woman, Kate is the dutiful wife and Amber is the dumb blonde. Because they are so different and the actresses have great chemistry, the hilarious dynamic somehow works. To top it off, Nicki Minaj has many entertaining one-liners that are impossible to forget.

Bad Moms

When Amy (Mila Kunis) gets tired of having to balance everything it takes to be the perfect mom, she looks to her new friends, Kiki (Kristen Bell) and Carla (Kathryn Hahn), to join her on a bad mom journey. Gwendolyn (Christina Applegate) is the perfect PTA mom who tries to stop these bad mom antics. When Amy gets sick of Gwendolyn’s games, she decides to run for PTA president against her. This ensemble cast of some of the best female leads out there makes for some seriously hysterical moments. However, what makes this movie great isn’t how funny it is, but rather the relatability that it has to all of the struggling women out there who are trying their hardest to balance everything. Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell and Kathryn Hahn come together as a splendid trio in this film, which is truly one for all the moms out there.

John Tucker Must Die

A personal favorite of mine, “John Tucker Must Die” captures teen girl revenge to a T. This cheesy romantic comedy features the perennial new girl Kate (Brittany Snow) as she navigates her way through yet another new school. She stumbles into basketball superstar John Tucker’s (Jesse Metcalfe) cheating ways after witnessing him on three separate dates with the overachieving Carrie (Arielle Kebbel), the head cheerleader Heather (Ashanti) and the promiscuous vegan activist Beth (Sophia Bush). When she informs the girls, Kate is thrust into becoming the key part of their revenge against Tucker. The best parts of this film come as the four girls develop their friendship over their shared need for revenge. They make for one of the more dynamic girl groups to come out of this era of rom-coms, solidifying their spot on this list.

Charlie’s Angels (2000)

Natalie (Cameron Diaz), Dylan (Drew Barrymore) and Alex (Lucy Liu) are Charlie’s Angels, the most elite crime-fighting team of all time. The team comes together under the instruction of Charlie, and, with the help of Bosley (Bill Murray), must find the kidnapped Eric Knox (Sam Rockwell). The chemistry between the three angels cannot be understated, and it is the crux of the film, helping to make it perfect. Unlike other movies on this list, the comedy comes mostly from the physical humor of the various fight scenes throughout. With the over-the-top and campy nature of these scenes, the action and comedy combine flawlessly.

The DUFF

Last, but certainly not least, “The DUFF” features Bianca (Mae Whitman), a senior in high school who finds out that she is the DUFF (designated ugly, fat friend) of her friend group. She sets off on a mission to become dateable to win the affection of her crush. Teaming up with her next-door neighbor Wesley (Robbie Amell), the two attempt to “un-DUFF” Bianca. While the idea of a DUFF is so atrocious that it led many audiences to avoid the film entirely, the charm and emotionality behind the film ultimately make it heartfelt and relatable, not to mention the off-the-charts chemistry between Whitman and Amell.

There are plenty more underrated female-led comedies out there; these are just some that I feel should get more recognition. The kind of campy and fun relatability that these films have can’t be rivaled by the typical male-led flick.

Olivia Madrid, Florida State University

Olivia Madrid

Florida State University
English: Editing, Writing and Media