Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jomny Sun’s Latest Collaboration Will Brighten Your Day

They believe in you, and you should too.

Ring! Ring! Ring! Groaning, you unearth your bedhead from beneath a tangle of blankets, wondering why you chose that shrill, annoying sound as your alarm. You see a sliver of orangey sunlight peeking through the gap between your curtains. It’s confirmed — it is time to wake up and get ready for work.

Still under your covers, you roll onto your side, reaching for the phone on the nightstand beside your bed. After turning off that horrid alarm, you decide to laze in your pajamas for a few minutes more and scroll through Twitter. You open the app, and this is the first post you see:

Gmorning.
Today I wanna talk about YOUR FACE.
I like it.
In a random sampling of local & global populations, an overwhelming percentage of people like it.
In fact, even other species with limited facial recognition skills like your face.
*smooch*
Thanks for coming to my ted talk

A smile lights up your face. Maybe today won’t be so bad.

That tweet was handcrafted and brought to you straight from the heart of Lin Manuel Miranda, Broadway’s most lovable playwright and actor. The “Hamilton” star has brought joy into the lives of hundreds of thousands of people with his stories and music, from the glimpse of life in Washington Heights in the musical “In the Heights” to the uplifting ballad “How Far I’ll Go” from “Moana.”

But he didn’t stop there. Miranda has been tweeting inspiring good morning and good night messages to all of his followers, so they can wake up and go to sleep with a positive mindset. Just a little something to let them know they are loved and can do anything they put their mind to.

And now, fans won’t even have to scroll through social media for some words to brighten their day, instead, they can just pick up a book full of Miranda’s motivational messages off their bedside table.

That’s right. After numerous requests from supporters, Miranda partnered with Twitter personality and author Jomny Sun to create a compilation book of his good morning and good night posts, set to release Oct. 23. Sun, author of “Everyone’s a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too,” is beacon of love and self-care which makes him the perfect partner in crime for this project.

Miranda writing and selecting the quotes plus Sun providing quirky illustrations for the pages? It’s a perfect recipe for spreading positivity. Just look at their adorable Twitter exchange announcing the release of the book.

You’ve had a rough day. Or week. Or maybe even a couple months. The universe seems to be trying its best to play all the cards that will leave you in the dust and continues piling on more and more until you feel hopeless. You are turning off your bedside lamp to go to bed when your hand stumbles across a book. You pick it up and open it to a random page.

Gnight from the older version of you
Who remembers the very moment you are in right now
And is grinning from ear to ear, because
you have no idea about
the wonders ahead

A hint of a smile flashes on your face, just for a second. You take a deep breath.

It’ll be okay. It’ll get better. You were meant to be here.

Maya Ramani, University of Virginia

Maya Ramani

University of Virginia