An illustration of two silhouettes of a woman and a dragon, two elements which can be found in fantasy books.

3 Must Read Fantasy Books Written by Women of Color

The genre has long suffered a lack of diversity, but these authors are changing that.

Fantasy books, until recent years, have suffered a stunning lack of diversity in many ways. In general, most fantasy books tend to draw from Eurocentric settings, mythology and themes and, as a result, create a Eurocentric portrayal. This creates a situation in which this genre is often over-saturated with dominant culture groups, and the more marginalized groups often deal with a lack of representation. These marginalized groups include people of color, those with disabilities, those from the LGBTQ+ community and those from other cultures or ethnicities.

Diversity in fantasy is important for attracting a demographic of people who want to imagine themselves in these worlds and stories. This promotes a sense of belonging whilst reading and a sense of empowerment within the experience. Additionally, this can serve to broaden the perspectives and experiences of the existing readership. Throughout this article, I will be introducing some novels from authors who represent some of those marginalized groups and, as such, create characters and worlds that encapsulate those viewpoints.

1. “Children of Blood and Bone” by Tomi Adeyemi

“Children of Blood and Bone” is a young adult fantasy novel that takes place in the fictional land of Orisha, where magic that was once celebrated and respected among the Maji is now outlawed. The story follows the main character, Zelie, a young maji who embarks on a dangerous mission accompanied by some unconventional allies to restore magic. We follow their journey through the kingdom as dark forces work against her and her goals to bring magic back to the land once more. This novel is brimming with adventure, action and themes of discrimination, oppression and the unyielding power of courage and hope.

This novel explores some interesting, compelling themes and does so through West African mythology and Yoruba culture. Adeyemi uses fantasy to showcase Africa in a compelling and engaging way while addressing struggles and themes not completely unfamiliar to us, such as social injustice and the importance of diversity. Additionally, the use of historical influences and the rich aspects of African culture make for a story that feels authentic despite its fantasy genre. This novel is successful in broadening perspectives and curiosities of the elements and cultures that have inspired such a masterpiece.

2. “The Fifth Season” by N.K Jemisin

“The Fifth Season” by N.K Jemisin is a fantasy and science-fiction novel that follows three women in alternating perspectives, each with unique abilities that allow them to manipulate the earth’s energy as well as cause earthquakes or quelling. The story takes place in a world called the Stillness, which is often ravaged by catastrophic disasters known as Fifth Seasons. These events can last decades—centuries even—and kill many people as a result. We follow these women on their journeys while they deal with persecution and discrimination based on their labels as orogenes. This novel deals with themes of oppression and discrimination as these characters must find a way to navigate a world that is incredibly hostile to them.

This novel offers one of the most complex magical systems I have ever read, along with some incredibly unique story-telling feats. Jemisin truly puts her best foot forward in this immersive, thought-provoking novel that features a world of diversity shown through a repertoire of different races as well as sexual orientations and gender identities. Jemisin’s innovative story-telling throughout this novel and the accompanying series has received a multitude of accolades throughout the years, including the highly prestigious Hugo Award for Best Novel, making her the only person to receive the award for three years in a row.

3. “The Poppy War” by R.F. Kuang

“The Poppy War” is a dark fantasy book that takes place in an alternate version of China. This world is heavily inspired by Chinese history and mythology. We follow Rin, a war orphan, who lives in one of the poorest provinces in the nation. Rin is reluctantly raised by opium smugglers, and to avoid a life similar to the things she witnesses constantly, Rin studies hard every day until she tests into Sinegard, a prestigious military academy. It is at this school that she learns of an extraordinary power she possesses. As Rin studies at this academy and learns more of her power, tensions between the Nikan Empire and the Federation of Mugen heighten until the war finally arrives at the doors of Sinegard Academy. Rin must utilize the art of war that she has learned and gauge whether using her powers to turn the tide of this war is worth her sanity.

Kuang creates a complex and engaging world within this novel. She draws on real aspects of history to tell this story, incorporating elements of the Second Sino-Japanese War, the Opium Wars and even the Taiping Rebellion. She explores complex and dark themes of things like genocide, war and mental and physical trauma. We also see in the accompanying series representations of disabled people and the challenges they face in navigating a world not designed for them. This book is certainly not a light read, but it offers you history, depth and the reality of the horrors that accompany war.

Reatha-Mae Newman, SUNY College at Brockport

Reatha-Mae Newman

SUNY College at Brockport
Creative Writing and International Studies