Illustration by Lee Ortiz, University of Texas at San Antonio

We Love You, Megan—’Cobra’ Is a Beacon for Black Women’s Mental Health

The harsh realities of Black women's mental health are being disregarded and this is affecting rapper, Megan Thee Stallion.

Thee Stallion

Megan “Thee Stallion” Pete was born on February 15th, 1995, to parents Holly Thomas and Joseph Pete. Rapping has always been a part of Megan’s life. Thomas was also a rapper who went by the persona “Holly-wood.” Once Megan knew how to rhyme, and Thomas introduced her little girl to the rap game. 

Houston’s very own became famous for her infamous freestyle, “Stalli Freestyle.” At the beginning of Thee Stallion’s career, she endured many trials, tribulations, and pain. Under all of the glam, fame, and riches, Megan has been traumatized by some of the things she mentioned in her new single. 

Megan’s Music

Megan Thee Stallion is unapologetic about her image and sexuality, which shows in her music. She has done songs with artists such as Beyoncé, Cardi B, and City Girls. Megan Thee Stallion’s free and liberating message in her music is a freedom of expression for her and her audience. 

But does freedom of expression stop at sexual liberation? 

Mental health can be a very uncomfortable topic among many people. Megan introduces this topic to her audience through her new song, “Cobra.” 

She goes in-depth about her depression and mental battles, detailing the loss of her parents and recent infidelity issues in her last relationship. In Thee Stallion’s lyrics, she explains how this pushed her over the edge and had her questioning her existence

Additionally, Tory Lanez was also just convicted in the shooting of Megan Thee Stallion.

She went through public scrutiny and was accused of lying and shamed for the situation.

Megan decided to take her power back and do what any artist would do with their pain: using their creative outlet to express it. 

Harms of Opening Up on Mental Health as a Woman

Opening up about mental health is hard enough, but opening up about it in your art is even more complex because art is open to the public and up for scrutiny. 

What’s even sadder is that before Megan even released this single, fans and people in the public knew the shame and criticism she was up against. Yet Megan was shown time and time again that her mental health, safety, and well-being were not being protected. It was almost as if her mental well-being was not being taken seriously, which is very common for women. 

Prism’s article, “Women Of Color Struggle To Get The Mental Health Care They Need,” talks about how the lack of awareness of the experience of black women can affect how their mental health is taken into account. In an Inc. article, “The Hidden Downside to Being a Powerful Woman,” a new study shows that, for women, “power is too often linked to symptoms of depression.” Mighty and successful women are more susceptible to depression and feelings of loneliness. The idea that people who lead “successful” lives are the happiest is one of the biggest misconceptions. 

Celebrating Megan’s Bravery and Giving Her a Virtual Hug

Megan Thee Stallion is a talented artist, and despite her hardships, she still rises above and continues to fulfill her purpose. We live in a world where people can be critical, even to the detriment of someone else, which can be very hard to navigate. I am glad that Megan can finally express her story in whatever capacity she feels comfortable with. 

I am very proud and happy for Megan Thee Stallions success and I am excited to see more from her in the future. A dedicated, driven triple threat, Meg deserves her flowers and should be celebrated. This world would be more beautiful if people advocated for each other, and from one woman artist to another woman artist: we love you, Megan.

And to all the Black women everywhere who are struggling with their own tragedies just like Megan Thee Stallion, we love you too. Your struggle and hurt is real and you deserve just as much celebration. 

Paiton Young, University of Georgia

Paiton Young

University of Georgia
Screenwriting

"I’m a creative writer hailing from Louisiana. After graduating from the illustrious HBCU, Dillard University, with a B.A. in English, I continued my education at the University of Georgia with an M.A. in Screenwriting. My goal is to impact underrepresented people with my writing."