An illustration of a hand reaching up a bookcase full of books each labeled by a mood.

Books To Suit Your Every Mood

Whether you want to laugh, cry or get into a good mystery, we've got you covered.

A major selling point for reading books is their ability to whisk you away. Like music, a good book can amplify your emotions or feelings. A good book can completely shift your mood, putting you in an entirely new state of being. These stories have the ability to open our minds and expose us to things beyond our wildest imaginations. Your worst fears and greatest hopes lie within the pages of your next great read.

The next time you find yourself emotionally overwhelmed, or, on the other hand, wanting to feel a certain way, you might consider reading a book as a form of respite. Throughout this article, I’ll show you a couple of series I have loved over the years; I hope you enjoy them as thoroughly as I did. I will be breaking them down by mood, so you know where to turn if need be.

Books for When You Want To Laugh

Riley Thorn” series by Lucy Score

Have you ever read a romantic comedy about a psychic scared of her own abilities and a hot private investigator? In this book, we follow Riley as she attempts to help solve the death of her neighbor alongside a stubborn private investigator. This entire series is a hilarious adventure, and if you’re looking to stifle laughs while reading it in public, I would recommend it.

Stephanie Plum” series by Janet Evanovich

Ever wondered about life as a female bounty hunter? Throughout this series, we follow Stephanie, an out-of-work woman who blackmails her bail bondsman cousin into giving her work as a bounty hunter. She knows nothing about the job, and has no qualifying experience, making for a gripping read filled with wit, vulgarity and a dash of mystery.

Nava Katz” series by Deborah Wilde

The “Nava Katz” series features a family legacy, an accidental induction ceremony and the first-ever female demon hunter. Throughout this series, we follow Nava as she adjusts to life as the first female Rasha in an ‘all-male’ profession that isn’t exactly happy to have her.

Books for When You Want To Explore

Fox and O’Hare” Series by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg

An international con man who lives for the thrill of the chase and an FBI agent form an unlikely team and find themselves traveling the globe in an attempt to prevent international crimes. From the side streets of Berlin to the underbelly of Montreal and even the dark back alleys of Macau, this is a great book to read if you want to globe-trot from the comfort of your own home.

Heist Society” series by Ally Carter

Kat Bishop can steal anything. That’s all a part of the family business, after all. Thievery. Throughout this series, we watch as Kat navigates this way of life and all the perils that come with it. With a dash of mystery, romance and even thrill, it’s hard to put down as we follow her across the world on her different “errands.”

Passenger” by Alexandra Bracken

In this book, we follow Etta, a violin prodigy who has the ability to time travel. She discovers the latter ability when she accidentally sends herself back to 1776 aboard a ship amid a fierce sea battle. Finding herself ensnared within a scheme larger than herself, Etta travels through time and space while figuring out who she really is.

Books for When You Want To Investigate

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” by Holly Jackson

Throughout this novel, we follow Pip as she investigates a cold-case murder in her hometown. Everyone in town thinks they know who’s responsible, but Pip just can’t shake the feeling that there’s more to the story. This novel is full of twists and turns that will leave you on the edge of your seat.

The Silent Patient” by Alex Michaelides

“The Silent Patient” centers around a woman who brutally murdered her husband and hasn’t uttered a word since, and a therapist who’s obsessed with understanding why. This book was shocking in many ways, and the plot twist throws you for a loop. It’s a novel mode of storytelling that keeps the pages turning until the end.

Gallagher Girls” series by Ally Carter

Have you ever wondered what an all-girls spy school would be like? The Gallagher Academy is just that, a boarding school meant to train women in the art of espionage. This book has some of the best world-building I have seen since “Harry Potter.” It pulls you into a world of espionage and intrigue and doesn’t let you go. It is filled with dark secrets, plot twists and a heart-warming found family.

Books for When You Want To Cry

The Lovely Bones” by Alice Seabold

Have you ever wondered about life after death? This book explores this idea through the eyes of a young girl who is brutally murdered and must adjust to her new life in heaven. Simultaneously, she watches her family grapple with the tragedy of her death. It’s a gripping novel that wades through despair and darkness to create something truly beautiful.

In Five Years” by Rebecca Serle

Where do you see yourself five years from now? Dannie Kohan thought she knew the answer to this question until she woke up one day five years into the future, living a life very different from the one she had meticulously planned. This book is not what you’ll think it is upon going into it. It’s as heart-wrenching as it is clever, and it’s truly unforgettable.

Sadie” by Courtney Summers

“Sadie” alternates between the point of view of a runaway girl who sets off on a mission of vengeance and a podcaster following clues she leaves behind. Sadie is a heartbreaking, beautiful story. It was my favorite contemporary read long after I read it, and it possibly still is. If you enjoy podcasts, try listening to the audiobook; even if you don’t, it’s a work of art through and through.

Reatha-Mae Newman, SUNY College at Brockport

Reatha-Mae Newman

SUNY College at Brockport
Creative Writing and International Studies