Cardi B
Cardi B and Offset have been secretly married since last fall. (Image via People)

Cardi B and Offset Reveal They Were Secretly Married Last Fall

Cardi said they kept the ceremony quiet to avoid an ... invasion of privacy.

Yesterday on Twitter, Cardi B announced her secret marriage with rapper Offset. Fans were shocked to learn the couple has been married since Sept. 20, 2017, which is nearly a month prior to Offset’s public proposal on Oct. 29 at Power 99’s Powerhouse concert.

In her Twitter announcement, Cardi B made a nod to her recent album. “This why i name my album ‘Invasion of privacy’ cause people will do the most to be nosey about your life.”

Cardi B explained she and Offset had a quiet, relaxed ceremony with only each other and her cousin, free of any dresses, makeup or rings.

“There are so many moments that I share with the world and then there are moments that I want to keep for myself,” she said. Cardi B continued, explaining how the couple — regardless of any relationship issues — desired to stay together and had an impromptu wedding ceremony.

The announcement was possibly foreshadowed by Offset’s reference to Cardi B as his wife at the BET awards while Migos received the ASCAP Vanguard Award. “Thank God, I thank my wife, you should thank yours,” he said. TMZ later provided evidence to support the claim by sharing a PDF of the marriage certificate, proving they were indeed married in Atlanta, Georgia.

Last year, the couple went on their first public date at the Super Bowl, where they were seen holding hands. Then, on Valentine’s Day, Cardi B seemingly confirmed her relationship with Offset via Instagram, despite the couple’s later refusal to acknowledge their status.

Months later, in October 2017, Offset proposed to Cardi B with an 8-carat, pear-shaped ring, which reportedly cost him around $500,000.

On April 8, 2018, the artist confirmed pregnancy rumors on SNL in a tight-fitting white dress and has since had no qualms putting her baby belly on display during live performances. Judging by the time which has passed, Cardi B’s next big surprise will likely be the birth of her little girl.

The marriage announcement follows the leak of the couple’s stunning July cover of Rolling Stone, which pictures Cardi B appearing equally regal and pregnant. In the photo, she can be seen wearing an off-the-shoulder black gown which reveals her fully tattooed lower body.

Offset sits in a chair by the artist’s side, lovingly kissing and holding the curve of her large stomach in his hand. The cover emphasizes Cardi B is at the height of rap royalty, and her man is supportive of both their relationship and their child.

As the imagery presents them, a royal and solid family, Cardi B’s ability to outdo herself as a strong, independent woman is not much of a surprise.

Regardless of what she is doing — establishing her devotion to Offset in an impromptu but genuine ceremony, remaining firm in her decision to have a child in the middle of a skyrocketing career or being a part of an extravagant public engagement, Cardi B has not missed a beat on her road to dominate the hustle.

Jamie Lovley, University of Maine

Jamie Lovley

University of Maine
Journalism and Psychology