In an article about Call Her Daddy, Alex Cooper sits on a hot pink chair and clutches a microphone in her left hand.

‘Call Her Daddy’: A Listener’s Perspective on the Show’s Success

Beyond its explicit language and raunchy content, Alexandra Cooper’s show has evolved into one of the most outstanding podcasts of all time — for good reason. 

Alexandra Cooper, the founding father of “Call Her Daddy,” launched her now-famous podcast back in 2018 with her then co-host, Sofia Franklyn. Five years later, with Cooper as the sole host, the show ranks as Spotify’s second-most-listened to podcast globally. Cooper’s net worth to date amounts to $25 million, a sum due in large part to the over 5 million listeners that “Call Her Daddy” garners each episode. Cooper and her podcast have broken barriers and reached heights that others could only dream of. The question is: How exactly did she do it?

Aside from clever financial and legal decisions, the show’s recognizable brand and magnetic host are responsible for the success “Call Her Daddy” has enjoyed. Fans old and new know the distinctive qualities of “Call Her Daddy” that make the show so entertaining and addictive. From revealing celebrity interviews to unrestricted one-on-ones with Cooper herself, the podcast boasts many reasons for its prosperity thus far. 

Call Her Daddy” listeners today are approximately 90% female, according to Cooper herself. Perhaps one of the first of its kind, the podcast has notably catered to female listeners and served as a home for the feminine perspective from its onset. As a result, many of the show’s female listeners feel represented and understood in a medium that men created. Cooper managed to make the podcast landscape her own, though. Placing shameless feminism at the forefront of the show, Cooper’s confident approach to all conversations welcomes a population previously unaccounted for.   

In her quest to give voice to women and the matters they actually find significant, Cooper developed her podcast’s brand around a bold embrace of historically taboo topics. Most famously, she has mastered the art of doling out sex advice. Her audacity gave her a name, but it’s only the beginning of what she has to offer listeners. In addition to sex, Cooper discusses the patriarchy, relationship issues, mental wellbeing, infidelity, financial stability and grief. From the most elemental topic to the extremely precise, there’s most likely a “Call Her Daddy” episode that covers it in depth. No subject goes untouched, yet Cooper still finds something new and relevant to examine every week. After nearly five years of novel material, it would be understandable if “Call Her Daddy” were close to a close. But Cooper sails forward with no end in sight. 

Many of the episodes that deal with real-life problems feature advice from expert psychologists, doctors, analysts and therapists — as well as from Cooper herself. When Cooper investigates an issue, no trail goes unfollowed. Therefore, it is only right that Cooper invites professionals in a corresponding industry to weigh in on the facts behind her listeners’ feelings. By supplying statistics and evidence-based research to answer her listeners’ questions, Cooper instills a sense of sanity and normalcy in the women who listen to her. Armed with data, Cooper and the experts she enlists bring to light issues that women previously talked about behind closed doors. In most of these episodes, the people who experience said issues discover that they are in great company, and most importantly, learn that a way out or solution is close at hand. The women who listen to these episodes, more often than not, experience or have experienced something similar, so it’s reassuring for them to hear from a knowledgeable professional that there is science behind their emotions and proven methods of survival. At the most basic level, it’s nice to know you’re not alone.  

“Call Her Daddy” is also noteworthy for Cooper’s inquisitive interviews. Whether she is chatting with a clinical psychologist or Miley Cyrus, Cooper asks all the questions her listeners need the answers to. She doesn’t hold back or tiptoe around sensitive subjects. Rather, she quite strikingly asks direct questions that get straight to the point. Unlike interviewees on many other podcasts, her celebrity guests typically tell the blatant truth. Something about the environment that Cooper fosters cultivates a sense of safety and compassion for guests and listeners alike. Fans thus leave the episode with a greater understanding of a given issue or subject — all thanks to Cooper’s persistence and temerity.            

In addition to Cyrus, “Call Her Daddy” features lengthy interviews with celebrities from all walks of life. Reality television stars, professional athletes, musicians, actors, comedians and internet personalities — you name it, and “Call Her Daddy” fans have seen it. The prominence of parasocial relationships these days provides some insight as to why these episodes are so popular. When Cooper sits down with a person of influence, she allows her listeners to become flies on the wall. We hear everything that our most precious icons have to say and end the hour with all the tea we’ve been trying to uncover for so long. It’s satisfying and revelatory all at once. 

The Daddy Gang, as Cooper deemed the podcast’s fanbase, also delights in the sheer openness and honesty of its host. From the beginning, Cooper instituted a communication style that leaves nothing hidden (at least not for too long). You can always count on her to give you the explicit details, especially about her personal life. Such unbridled honesty remains a distinct and rare quality, so the Daddy Gang appreciates Cooper’s consistent transparency. Put plainly, her forthrightness is the trait that convinces most viewers to become part of the Daddy Gang as well as Alex Cooper stans.         

Her candor is most evident in solo episodes where Cooper personally addresses fan questions about life problems. She doesn’t hold back her opinions, but even her most brutal statements come from a place of genuine concern and care. She wants all of her listeners to thrive and learn to take control of their lives like she did. In this way, Cooper is kind of your best friend: she’ll tell you the truth, even if it hurts, but she will surely deliver her words with love.  

For all of her success, Cooper only has immense devotion and gratitude. She never fails to follow through for the Daddy Gang. Her unending commitment to her fans is the ultimate reason to tune in every week. You might show up for the juicy sexploits, but you’ll inevitably stay for the loyal gal pal who’s always got your back. 

Sarah Deavers, University of Virginia

Sarah Deavers

University of Virginia
Media Studies