The Recent Ariana Grande + Nicki Minaj Collabs Have Us Pairing Up Other Dream Duos

Here are four other twosomes that need to put out music together, asap.

Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj are two of the most relevant female artists in the music industry right now. “No tears left to cry” and “Chun-Li” dominate pop and hip-hop radio stations, and fans would do just about anything to snag tickets to either of their concerts.

These two members of pop and rap royalty have a history of working on projects together. “Bang Bang” was the collaboration that took the pop world by storm back in 2014, featuring Ariana, Nicki and Jessie J. The iconic track showcased some serious vocals from both Jessie J and Ariana Grande, with a killer verse from Nicki on the bridge. The power anthem peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100.

That same year, Nicki and Ariana also collaborated on “Get On Your Knees,” an upbeat song that was a hit with their fanbases and appeared on Nicki’s album, “The Pinkprint.”

Two years later, they jointly released “Side to Side,” a track on Ariana’s album “Dangerous Woman,” that had fans jamming out in their cars and on their feet at the clubs. It skyrocketed to a “Bang Bang” level of fame — the divas had done it again.

Now, highly anticipated individual albums from both of the artists are set to release soon. Ariana Grande’s “Sweetener” will come out in mid-August, with Nicki Minaj’s “Queen” releasing just a couple days before. And that’s not all. Both albums have a song that features the other artist: “the light is coming” on “Sweetener” and “Bed” on “Queen.” That’s right, Ariana and Nicki blessed their fans with not one, but two more collaborations.

And there might be more on the horizon. This past weekend, Nicki Minaj tweeted “Y’all, should Ari & I do an album together one day?” Ariana Grande quoted the tweet, and responded “duh, rose.” An entire Ariana and Nicki ALBUM? I’ll buy my concert tickets for that world tour right now.

Ariana and Nicki aren’t the only iconic collaborators in the music industry that would absolutely slay a joint album. Here are a couple other duos that have the potential take the music scene by storm.

1. Usher and Alicia Keys

This one is derived from the throwback hit, “My Boo.”

The song had everyone reminiscing about their first love, and an album with these two artists would guarantee some early 2000s-style R&B tracks of a similar caliber. I’m ready.

2. Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran

Both are immensely successful singer-songwriter artists, famous for penning emotional lyrics and catchy tunes that fans will never forget.

The world got a taste of what this album would be like with the song “Everything Has Changed,” and I for one would love to hear more.

3. Daniel Caesar and H.E.R.

Daniel Caesar and H.E.R. are two more recently emerged artists, and both of them have greatly impressed listeners, showcasing extreme talent with the smooth runs and stellar tones that have helped them rise in the R&B scene.

They collaborated on the track “Best Part,” a beautiful love song filled with alluring harmonies, showcasing just how well their voices complement each other. If they dropped an album together, I’d have it playing on repeat.

4. John Legend and Cynthia Erivo

John Legend is known for crafting gorgeous love songs, solely with his piano and his voice. Cynthia Erivo debuted in Broadway’s revival of “The Color Purple,” displaying her out-of-this-world voice and insane ability to pour her heart into song.

The two collaborated on a cover of “God Only Knows,” originally performed by the Beach Boys, and it was amazing. Soaring voices, rich tones, perfect harmonies, all combined to make a version of the already well-known song that will be remembered anew.

I already have their joint album mentally pre-ordered.

Maya Ramani, University of Virginia

Maya Ramani

University of Virginia