In an article detailing how to move out, two people load boxes on a moving van.

How To Move Out for the First Time

Congratulations! You've made the executive decision to get your own place! What comes next?

It’s time to move for the first time! What should you consider?

Affordability

Before you even begin to look at apartments, you must first know what you can afford. The worst thing you can do is look at the most luxurious apartments in your area. You will come to realize very quickly that you can’t afford bougie taste on a college grad budget. First, figure out how much you can actually afford with the income you bring in. 

Create a mock budget to help you prepare to move out ahead of time if possible. Your income usually has to be 2.5 to 3 times the rent in order to be approved by the apartment complex. So divide your net income by 2.5 or 3 to find how much you can actually afford in terms of apartment pricing. Every state and city is different, but most apartments require that you have a good credit score in order to be approved as well. 

Also, take into consideration your living expenses. These can be your expected utilities (don’t forget to pay these ahead of time so you have water and electricity when you move in), savings, groceries, beauty treatments, transportation, monthly subscriptions, entertainment, and any miscellaneous expenses such as healthcare funds. You should then subtract your total living expenses from your monthly net income to find out the maximum amount you can afford spend on rent. As long as your maximum amount exceeds or matches the amount needed to be approved by the leasing agent, you are good to go. 

Pre-packing 

Once you’ve found a place that fits within your budget, start to prepack immediately. You can start by getting the basics from general stores such as Dollar Tree  because places like these are super cheap. Basics should include cleaning supplies such as Lysol or Fabuloso, toilet paper, feminine hygiene products, hand soap, body wash, wash rags, dish towels, dish soap, laundry detergent, trash bags, dish washer pods, candles or air freshener, and any other items you deem necessary to have on the first day you move in. You can purchase these items months in advance and store them in a plastic bin to have on your first day in your new place.  You can also buy things in bulk to save money later at wholesale stores like  Sam’s Club . You can purchase items such as laundry detergent, paper towels and toilet paper in bulk at these places. They’ll last you for months and save you the headache of running out in the middle of the night. Make sure to bring a cardboard box in your car on moving day for easy access. 

To Buy or Not to Buy Furniture

The decision on whether to buy or not to buy furniture is totally up to you and your budget. If can only afford to get the keys and nothing else in the beginning, there is nothing wrong with that decision. Do what you can afford and what makes you happy. You can always get an air mattress from Walmart or amazon and call it a day. If you still want to have furniture before you move in but need to opt for a cheaper option, you can check out Goodwill or even Facebook Marketplace. You can find great pieces from these places without breaking the bank.  You can also check out Walmart, IKEA or Target for great quality furniture if you are willing to pay a little more. 

Safety and Security 

When living alone, it’s important to always be safe. One way to be safe is to invest in quality security products.  Some products I recommend you invest in immediately are the Blink Video Doorbell from Amazon or the Ring Doorbell . You will also need to invest in a good mount such as this Ring Doorbell Mount  from Amazon. These will not only help to help you figure out who is at your door, but they’ll also allow you to talk to them if needed, which is a super cool feature. You should also invest in one of these defensive key chains  Etsy-Self Defense Keychain . These are a great way to defend yourself if you ever feel unsafe. 

Things to Invest in Upfront for Later 

Splurge on a good pots and pans set, if you like to cook at home, you’ll get your money’s worth. These don’t have to be crazy expensive or top of the line, just durable and reliable. I recommend these from Amazon- Caannasweis-Beige-Induction-Saucepans. I also recommend getting cheap plates, forks and cups from target. These items are great quality and very cheap as well. Invest in a good shower curtain. Trust me, you will not feel like going to the store or cleaning up a ton of water off the floor after a full day of unpacking. Get a well-made curtain! I would also spend money on a really good spice collection so you can cook at home. Having a good spice collection is crucial for any home chef, and saves you money because you won’t be eating out as much. Lastly, I recommend getting a nice pair of house shoes. These not only help to keep your place clean, but they also help solidify that you finally have your own space.

Erica George, Louisiana State University, Shreveport

Erica George

Louisiana State University, Shreveport
English, Literary Studies Concentration