Photo of girl on a couch smoking a hookah pipe.

A Comprehensive Guide to Hookah Maintenance: Tips and Tricks

If you buy a good quality water pipe, your shisha can last for years.

Hookah maintenance is very important. Because a hookah is narrow, has many hoses and comes into contact with saliva, it is extra important that a hookah is maintained hygienically. If not, even a top-quality shisha will not last long. If you want to know how to properly maintain your hookah, this blog will be your salvation! This article will detail all the ins and outs of maintaining your hookah.

First of All: What Do I Need?

What do you need to properly clean and maintain your shisha? Thankfully not that much, which already makes the job a lot easier. All you need to maintain and clean your hookah is water, vinegar, lemon and a special hookah cleaning brush. This is a kind of long brush that allows you to clean well in all the nooks and crannies of the hookah. At AmyDeluxe, this cleaning brush is included for free with every shisha you buy, because quality and maintenance are of the utmost importance. 

Step 1: Clean All Loose Parts

The start is the easy part. Remove all loose parts from the shisha. You can easily clean these parts with water, vinegar and lemon. Is there any caked-on tobacco residue on the tobacco head? Rub some lemon on it and you will notice that this residue will come off very quickly and your tobacco head will shine like new again. 

Step 2: Clean the Shaft of the Hookah

Now that all the loose parts are like new again, you can start cleaning the shaft of the hookah. The shaft deserves some extra attention. Due to the shape of the shaft, it can be difficult to clean it properly. However, with the cleaning brush, you can get into every nook and cranny. Do not use any chemical cleaners in the process. Some water and lemon juice will do the job. If you thoroughly clean the shaft with the brush for about 5 minutes, you are guaranteed a clean shaft. This way, you take enough time to brush away all the dirt.

Step 3: Clean the Vase of the Hookah

The lower vase needs to be handled with care. These vases are often very fragile because they are made of thin glass. You should always treat the vase with lukewarm water; do not alternate between hot and cold water, as this can break the vase. For the vase, a little water and lemon juice is also sufficient for the cleaning process. The vase of the hookah does not need to be cleaned every time after a smoke.

Step 4: Wash the Hose

You can wash a washable hose thoroughly, but be careful with non-washable hoses. If you start washing them with soap and water, chances are they will fall apart. The best way to clean a hose is to blow it out with a compressor and possibly a little water and lemon juice. 

Further Maintenance

If you buy a good quality water pipe, your shisha can last for years. It is important that you and your guests handle the water pipe carefully and clean the hookah after every use. Take care of the hookah, and no further maintenance is required.