Photo Illustration by Roberto Soto; Source Photos via Apple TV+

‘Masters Of The Air’ Takes Flight and Lands Safely In Viewers’ Hearts

The Tom Hanks and Stephen Speilberg project has finally taken off to new heights in this World War II-inspired miniseries.

SPOILERS

The new Apple TV+ mini series, “Masters Of The Air,” based on Donald L. Miller’s book has finally landed after two years of production delays. Produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks,the $250 million budgeted show has finally seen the light of day; available for streaming on January 26, with weekly episodes until March 15. The plot centers around World War II airmen who continually put their lives out on the line during one of the toughest periods of history. These men fought with the 100th Bomb Group, which the show meticulously breaks down episode by episode. The show not only delivers a compelling story, but boasts a star-studded cast, including Callum Turner, Austin Butler, Barry Keoghan, and most notably Anthony Boyle. Sawyer Spielberg shares the spotlight alongside Raff Law in his big U.S. break with roles that cater to this prominent group of men. 

As part of an exclusive premiere, Aero Movie Theatre, a gem in Santa Monica, California held a members-only showing of “Masters Of The Air.” Though the show is only set to release the first episode on Jan. 26, attendees were granted access to the first three episodes of the series. The experience not only provided back-to-back hour-long episodes, but the theater also supplied the audience with free soft drinks, popcorn and candy. After the episodes were shown, stars from the show dropped in for a moderated Q&A with Jacqueline Coley. Actors Callum Turner, Raff Law, Anthony Boyle and Nate Mann shared their on-set experiences and how each of them tapped into their characters. The show’s executive producer Gary Goetzman and music composer Blake Neely were also among the cast to speak about the show’s quirks. 

The brief discussion ranged from the music that helped to build scenes and stir up the viewers’ angst to the actors’ processes. As handsome and in-command as he is in the role of Major John ‘Bucky’ Egan, Turner is equally as handsome in-person (bonus points for being British). More than just a pretty face, his role as Bucky demonstrates a man in-control, with roles of leadership. Boyle’s take on how he narrates the show and guides viewers was also extremely compelling. He detailed the way the scenes were just as intense as what the audience watched because everything was made to be as realistic in its storytelling. Butler and Keoghan’s roles are just as interesting, each character contributing to the rhythm of the storyline. Butler serves as a trustworthy buddy who gets along well with each of his ‘brothers.’ Collectively, the cast and crew that were present at the panel testified that the fervid environment they experienced was meant to bring truth to WWII’s history. 

The stars gave hearty answers about their experience, especially the preparations for the more action-packed scenes. In fact, most of the cast were expected to complete a mini-boot camp. The actors’ also took part in flight simulator sessions and history classes about WWII which amplified the series’ accuracy. Keoghan and Butler even sparred with one another to not only hone their fighting skills but also bond as co-stars. Between the first three episodes, viewers will see the pressure these men faced while in the sky; along with oxygen scarcity and the designated time to complete a task 25,000 feet above air. 

Though not initially considered the frontman of the series, Lieutenant Harry Crosby (Anthony Boyle) narrates the events from his perspective and his interactions with other airmen, carrying the story along. One of the most difficult aspects of these airmen’s missions was completing the task in a set time and resources. Boyle’s character stands as the navigator. Through Lt. Crosby, the men communicate his directions between 10-12 aircrafts. As shown through the brilliant script, if he does not provide the correct navigation, this will cost them a mission and for some their lives. At the same time much of what Crosby struggles with is his anxiety that leads to more than a few sloppy vomiting messes while in the aircraft. However, based on the first three episodes he proves himself to be a hero.

The patriotism that emanates from the atmosphere, characters and score is intangibly felt through the ease of each scene. The brotherhood of men who served together like the silly banter shared between Butler and Turner’s character, demonstrate their united front. The dialogue and intense scenes is intriguing enough to keep viewers hooked on the thrills and drama. One of the biggest signs of brotherhood in the series is the endearing nicknames the men share with one another. Butler’s character Major Gale ‘Buck’ Cleven shares the same nickname as Turner’s Bucky (which Bucky gives to Buck.) It’s no wonder this series was inspired by “Band of Brothers” – since the army of men truly depicts a band of brothers.  

“Masters Of The Air” is set to have nine episodes released, each episode jam packed with the thrill of action, unity among the men and patriotism. Of course, there is a lot to take away from each chapter but there is a lot that unfolds that makes the show so compelling to viewers. Of even more importance, the rumors about Callum Turner and Anthony Boyle remain true – these underrated gentlemen are definitely set to rise as their performances were not only stellar, but extremely hunky. Along with the rest of the men in their respective roles. If the first three episodes were not proof enough, this show is an exciting one to hang in for. Sticking around to find out what comes of Bucky and Buck’s characters is something that all of “Masters Of The Air” viewers will just have to find out together. 

Stream “Masters of the Air” on Apple TV+ now.

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.