shows

The Most Anticipated TV Series of 2018

Make sure your DVR has enough space to record them all or else you will suffer from FOMO.

Last year was a great year for TV. Thanks to returning series — new original shows and spin-offs that are coming to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and cable TV — 2018 will be even better. So much, in fact, to the point that it might be hard to keep up with every binge-worthy new show.

“Westworld,” “Jessica Jones,” “Legion,” “Atlanta” and “Handmaid’s Tale” are all getting new episodes. The classic “Star Trek” is coming out with a new series, “Star Trek: Discovery.”

New shows such as the “Unsolved: The Murders of Tupac and the Notorious B.I.G.” will have people talking all year. To help you relieve the pain of keeping track of them all, here is a list of the most anticipated TV shows of 2018.

“Unsolved: The Murders of Tupac and the Notorious B.I.G.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRw-SgV8Ks

Set to premiere on Feb. 27 in the U.S., “Unsolved: The Murders of Tupac and the Notorious B.I.G.” is a true-crime anthology series that follows the life and death of hip-hop’s biggest stars in a fashion similar to “American Crime Story.” The murders are told from the perspective of police investigator Greg Kading as he leads a multitask force to investigate the unsolved murders.

Anthony Hemingway, who was the director behind “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story,” is the executive producer of the new series. It is expected to span around 11 episodes.

“Star Trek: Discovery”

A prequel to the classic “Star Trek” is also set to air in 2018. The new series follows the exploits of the rogue captain Lorca, disgraced Starfleet officer Michael Burnham and their crew as they used a system of travelling that they invented to go anywhere in the universe in seconds.

What sets this “Star Trek” apart from the classic series is that it is darker with a more modern tone than the original series. The first half of the first season starts off with the crew engaged in war with the Klingons, which is available now for those with CBS Access.

“Altered Carbon”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFM8akm9a4

Based on the novels by Richard K. Morgan, “Altered Carbon” is a hard-boiled cyber-punk series produced by Netflix. The story takes place more than 300 years into the future where people can back up their memories to reboot into a new body after death.

The series follows Takeshi Kovacs, the only surviving solider from a group of elite warriors who were defeated in an uprising against the new world order. Takeshi’s mind has been imprisoned for a long time until wealthy businessman Laurens Bancroft comes along and gives him the chance to live again under one condition: he must solve a murder for Bancroft.

“Here and Now”

Premiered on HBO Feb. 11, 2018, “Here and Now” stars Tim Robbins and Holly Hunter as parents of four children, three adopted and one of their own. The family finds their bond tested when of the children start seeing things that everyone else can’t.

“Here and Now” is created by Alan Ball, the creator of “Six Feet Under” and “True Blood.” If you love “This is Us,” you will love “Here and Now.”

“Good Girls”

Slated to air on NBC on Feb. 26, “Good Girls” tells the story of three suburban moms who can’t make ends meet, each faced with her own desperate situation, which forced them to join forces and turn to armed robbery to solve their financial problems.

As things go better than what they thought, the women walk away with more money than initially planned, but they didn’t realize it wasn’t a simple grocery store. Instead, they accidentally robbed a man with neck tattoos and a gun. Stories unfold as they have to deal with this mistakes.

“Good Girls” is created by Jenna Bans, who wrote the screenplay for “Scandal” and created the series “The Family.”

“The Looming Tower”

Coming to Hulu on Feb. 28, “The Looming Tower, ” starring Jeff Daniels, Alec Baldwin, Bill Camp and Peter Sarsgaard, is a limited series about the events that lead up to the 9/11 attacks. The miniseries is based on the Pulitzer winning book by journalist Lawrence Wright, tracing the rising threat of Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda in the late 1990s. throughout the ten episodes, viewers will discover how the rivalry between the FBI and CIA during that time may have inadvertently set the path for the tragedy of 9/11 and the war in Iraq.

“Atlanta Robbin Season”

Donald Glover’s award-winning series “Atlanta” is back for an all new season. The first episode, which was originally set for release in February, will instead premiere on FX on Mar. 1 due to Glover’s hectic schedule. It’s not all that surprising that he has a busy schedule when he is set to co-star in the upcoming Han Solo movie.

“Roseanne”

The beloved ‘90s sitcom is back by popular demand, set to premier on March 7 on NBC. Roseanne has announced herself that the Connor family will be up-to-date on the latest trends among working class families. While not explicitly being pro-Trump, the series won’t either ignore the arguments going on in the country either or shy away from hard issues in the society. Roseanne wasn’t afraid to speak her mind in the original series, so why would she be afraid now?

Pat Servin, Davenport University

Pat Servin

Davenport University
Business Administration