Online Games That Mobile Users Can Test Their Math Skills On

Numbers are everywhere, whether you notice them or not.

Everyone knows that people who game on mobile devices are a cut above the rest, and the same goes for those folks who like brain training games to get the grey matter working.

This article delves deep into the online ether and app stores to find those number crunching games that demand elite mathematical skills from their players, especially if they ever wish to master levels, tournaments and gaming lobbies.

chess board
Chess is one of those classic games that requires all sorts of logical thinking, with the best players in the world devising mathematical strategies to help them plan multiple moves in advance.

Classic Games Still Test the Math Mettle

It is often said that you can’t beat the classics, and when it comes to online gaming that is very much the case. Many classic games, which have since transferred online, are jam-packed with all sorts of mathematical conundrums that people have been frantically trying to master for decades — if not centuries. Some of the classic games that fall into this category include the likes of chess, roulette and sudoku, all of which bring very different challenges to the table. Chess is all about fixating on probabilities and being able to think further ahead than your opponent. Meanwhile, roulette is even more grounded in probabilities with mathematical systems that govern the number of times a player will realistically be able to defeat the house. Sudoku, of course, is all about numbers and being able to move them around in such a way that a puzzle can be solved. What’s great about these classic games is that many online providers like PokerStars Casino, Chess.com, and Sudoku Online are constantly adding new versions of these games, either speeding them up or adding special gameplay twists.

Online Games Where Resource Budgets Are Involved

Budgets are a mathematical factor of most people’s everyday lives, whether they are going around the supermarket, shopping for clothes, or flicking through Amazon or eBay. Perhaps it is for this reason that many online games now incorporate spending and resource limits into their respective gameplay models, many of which throw up some interesting mathematical problems for gamers to solve.

This is particularly true in strategy games like the Civilization series or the Age of Empires franchise where players must keep a constant eye on not only the funds they have at their disposal, but also the natural resources they have in their stores.

Once all of these different budgets are taken into account, it can be quite tricky to keep a track of them all, with only mathematically gifted players able to calculate whether they have enough of everything in real time.

Another genre where budgeting is a crucial skill is the battle royale, where everything from shifting terrain maps to ammo supplies must constantly be weighed by players.

Often it is the case that a battle royale player will not realize they are solving a complex mathematical equation in their head because the moves and decisions they make come naturally after hours of practice and gameplay.

sudoku
Sudoku used to be a solely offline affair, but all that has now changed with plenty of Samsung users playing online versions of the game via apps and mobile sites

Online Board Games Keep Brain Cogs Moving

Another classic style of game that continues to remain relevant both online and offline is that of the board game. Lots of sites now exist that give players free access to online board games, some of which are unlike anything seen in the physical world.

One such site is Tabletopia, which has a whole range of games like Mathic Number and Mathic Fraction — perfect companions for gamers who like to challenge themselves with number-based problems and competitive scenarios.