An illustration of a few popular anime characters

The Fall 2022 Anime Season Is Set To Have the Biggest Release Schedule Yet

Why are fans so excited and what popular series are set to release new seasons?

The fall 2022 anime schedule is looking a lot like the second semester of your freshman year at college. You have old friends from home you still call, you have newer friends that you hang out with, and you are always making some new friends along the way.

Now that the metaphor is thrown out there, let me explain.

A lot of anime will premiere in the fall of 2022, but it’s the biggest and most anticipated anime that give the metaphor its meaning. Some old friends like “My Hero Academia” and “Bleach,” which were all gateways into anime for many people, are releasing new seasons. Some newer friends like “Mob Psycho 100” are making their return. And of course, a new friend like “Blue Lock” is making its much-anticipated debut.

Swarms of fans have been asking and anxiously anticipating the arrival of these new works, so let’s dive in and break down some of these new releases.

“My Hero Academia” Season 6

With Season 5 leaving fans on the edge of their seats and at the cusp of a highly built-up war, audiences are craving the inevitable action-packed battle between the heroes and the villains, who after last season they got to know very well.

Release Date: “My Hero Academia” is slated to release its sixth season in October 2022 and Crunchyroll is expected to be the release destination.

What to Expect: Season 5 left off with the heroes and the villains both getting ready to strike at the other. It also left a conundrum for fans, who were made to contemplate what would happen to the characters who lost the war. The last episodes of Season 5 focused on the villains and fans got to learn many of their backstories and really relate to them, or at least understand them better. Now, with Season 6 coming out and the much-anticipated war beginning, fans are almost rooting for both sides, which means that you can expect some interesting reactions no matter what happens. And as for what to expect in this season, be ready for an action-packed battle that will change the lives of the “My Hero Academia” students forever — and of course, always expect some good banter and fights between Deku and Bakugo.

“Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War”

“Bleach” is an anime that has been around for almost two decades and fans have loved it from day one. In 2012, the last of the manga adaptations were released and there have been no updates to the series until now. Fans have begged for a proper ending for 10 years, so you could say there is a lot of attention surrounding the release.

Release Date: “Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War” will be released in October 2022 and is expected to be released on both Funimation and Crunchyroll.

What to Expect: The first season of “Bleach” was released back in 2004, when animators adapted Tite Kubo’s manga series into this popular anime. For this last season, they will adapt the manga’s “Thousand-Year Blood” arc and are hoping to give dedicated fans the proper ending that they have been waiting a decade for. As this will be the final season of “Bleach,” you can expect a lot of action as well as some closure for this long and loved story.

“Mob Psycho 100” Season 3

“Mob Psycho 100” is another popular shonen anime where fans grow attached to the characters and the popularity of the show skyrockets. The first season of this anime was released in 2016 and fans were instantly drawn in by “Mob” and his powers. With the release of Season 3 and the possibility that it could be the series’s last, fans cannot wait to see what happens.

Release Date: “Mob Psycho 100” Season 3 will be released in October 2022 and is being released on Crunchyroll.

What to Expect: With the release of the third season of “Mob Psycho 100,” you can expect the anime to pick up right where it left off in Season 2, released in 2019. Mob isn’t sure what he wants to do with his life; as he contemplates what to do, he, Reigen and some new allies will have to work together once again to save more people. What fans aren’t sure about is what to expect with the new directors for this third season. Yuzuru Tachikawa will be replaced with Takahiro Hasui, but there isn’t much concern, especially with many of the staff and cast returning to work for this season. This season will begin with the “Divine Tree” arc from its manga source material. Because of the relative shortness of the manga, this is likely to be the last season of the psychic anime that reads the audience’s minds and gives them exactly what they didn’t know they needed.

“Blue Lock” Season 1

Sports anime is one of the most popular subsets of anime today, but with that said, there aren’t many sports anime based on soccer. “Blue Lock” is an adaptation of a very popular soccer manga. The announcement of the release of “Blue Lock” has created a large buzz among anime fans who are now getting hyped up for its kickoff.

Release Date: “Blue Lock” will be released in October 2022 and is expected to be added to Crunchyroll for its debut season.

What to Expect: “Blue Lock,” being a sports anime, brings along a big set of expectations: competition, teamwork, rivalries, relatable characters and good animation of the sport at hand. The anime centers on an athlete who is invited to a training camp meant to find the greatest striker. Essentially, the way to find the best is through a battle royale-style program. The director of “Blue Lock” is Tetsuaki Watanabe, who is a very well-known director. Watanabe directed “Haikyuu!!,” a volleyball anime and one of the best and most popular sports anime in the United States. With a director and a storyline like this, you can expect fierce competition, lovable characters, rivalries, a lot of action and a lot of soccer as Japan tries to find the striker that they have always lacked.

Of course, with fall 2022 being the biggest release season yet, there are many more highly anticipated shows to wait for, such as “JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure” Season 6, “To Your Eternity” Season 2 and so much more. But even with just the ones mentioned above, you can see why this season will be the biggest and the best. It will feature the endings of beloved anime series that fans have been begging and waiting for, anime that brought fans into the genre and kept them there, and even a new anime that has people on their toes waiting to see how successful it will become.

Overall, if you are an anime fan, brace yourself because fall 2022 is going to pack a punch.

Emily Sweeney, Quinnipiac University

Emily Sweeney

Quinnipiac University

Emily is a 3+1 Journalism Student at Quinnipiac University with minors in sports studies, theater studies, and media studies. She is chairwoman of the Quinnipiac Bobcat Sports Network and president of the Quinnipiac Association for Women in Sports Media.