Netflix
Netflix

Everything Coming to Netflix in December 2018

The streaming service is ending the year with a bang.

Now that everyone’s turkey day food comas have subsided and the nationwide discount frenzy has died down, the holiday season is officially in full swing. As finals and winter break approach, Netflix has prepared for the imminent binge-watching soon to occur by releasing heaps of new material.

With an array of selections for people of all ages (check out a full list below), the streaming giant’s 29 new movie and TV show additions are perfect for both first-time viewers and seasoned rerun aficionados. So, here is a list of everything Netflix plans to add in the coming month, as well as seven spotlighted series that you’d be crazy to miss.

1. “The Great British Baking Show: Masterclass: Season 5” (Dec. 1)

Calling all foodies: If you’re someone who secretly loves getting caught in the loop of baking competition reruns, This. Is. Your. Show.

In similar fashion to other bake-off series, “GBBS” follows 12 amateur bakers who compete against each other to be crowned red velvet royalty. A smashing hit in Britain, the sweet series will leave your tummy rumbling but your thirst for competition sated.

2. “Nailed It! Holiday!” (Dec. 7)

Mark your calendar for Dec. 7, as Netflix has eight releases planned for this day. If “The Great British Baking Show” didn’t satisfy your sweet tooth, then be ready for some comedic kitchen ChristMESSES.

A Netflix Original that premiered earlier this year, “Nailed It!” stars Nicole Byer and Jacques Torres in a hilarious baking competition where three home bakers with poor baking skills attempt to recreate complicated creations from the internet. The winner receives a grand prize of $10,000.

In true December tradition, the third season of the series will feature festive challenges ranging from a cake resembling a feast to adorably edible wintery animals. Brace yourself for pure shock and cringe-worthy moments in each episode, and check out some clips from the hilarious trailer.

3. “Neo Yokio: Pink Christmas” (Dec. 7)

Created by Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend, “Neo Yokio” is set in an alternate New York where the city has been saved from demons by magicians called “Magistocrats.” The show follows main character Kaz Kaan, voiced by Jaden Smith, a wealthy Magistocrat, as he and his robot butler Charles struggle to juggle his life and his demon-hunting duties.

Though the series ended up as free promotion for Toblerone, the writing is sharp and Koenig’s passion project is an intriguing creative exercise for the musician. But if all watching it does is make you want an oversized chocolate bar, that’s fine too.

4. “Dumplin’” (Dec. 7)

This new film is set in a small Texas town where Willowdean, a plus-size teen daughter of a former beauty queen, registers for her own mom’s pageant. As a form of protest to prove a point about stereotypes, Willowdean unintentionally starts a revolution, which prompts other young women follow in her footsteps.

Produced by Jennifer Aniston, “Dumplin” stars a multitude of celebrities, such as Danielle Macdonald, Dove Cameron and Aniston herself, and has music produced by Dolly Parton.

5. “The Theory of Everything” (Dec. 16)

In the wake of Stephen Hawking’s death in March, it makes sense for Netflix to add this film to its new releases. The 2014 biographical film is about the early life of world-renowned theoretical physicist and cosmologist Hawking.

The film, which is set at Hawking’s alma mater, Cambridge University, centers around the love story between him and his ex-wife and his diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).

6. “Avengers: Infinity War” (Dec. 25)

Yes, in a nod to fanfare only appropriate for the massive motion picture, “Infinity War” will come to Netflix on Christmas Day, like the gift to the world it is. While many critics disparaged the movie for its excessive run time (nearly three hours), Marvel definitely knew what they were doing the project, because the movie was one of the most richly crafted releases of the year, especially within the comic book universe.

So, if you lacked the will to go to a theater to see “Infinity War” when it was released in April, now you can watch it from the comfort of your own home. Go ahead, this is the perfect time to be one with your couch!

7. “Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown: Season 11” (Dec. 25)

Among the many heartbreaking celebrity deaths in 2018, the death of American travel and food critic Anthony Bourdain was one of the most crushing. Having traveled across the globe, Bourdain focused on parts of the world that were left relatively unseen by American TV, where he had a mission to “eat and drink with people without fear and prejudice.”

On June 8, Bourdain was found dead in his hotel room in France, and his death immediately sparked global mourning, especially amongst those in the food community. Because of his appreciation for food, people and all cultures, Bourdain was one of the rare deaths that touched not only Americans, but people across the world.

Season 11 has already premiered on CNN, and his death fell midway through the making of Season 12, which just finished its run on CNN and is available for purchase on Amazon. In time, Netflix will likely add the show’s final season, but until then, fans will at least get a slew of new episodes to watch and appreciate how much Bourdain for advancing a narrative or tolerance and love.

Full List of December Releases:

Dec. 1

“The Great British Baking Show: Masterclass: Season 5”

Dec. 2

“The Lobster”

Dec. 6

“Happy! Season 1”

Dec. 7

“Pine Gap”

“The Ranch: Part 6”

“Nailed It! Holiday!”

“Remastered: Who Killed Jam Master Jay?”

“Super Monsters and the Wish Star”

“Neo Yokio: Pink Christmas”

“Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle”

“Dumplin’”

Dec. 14

“Tidelands”

“Fuller House: Season 4”

“Travelers: Season 3”

“The Innocent Man”

“Roma”

Dec. 16

“Baby Mama”

“The Theory of Everything”

Dec. 18

“Ellen DeGeneres: Relatable”

“Baki”

Dec. 21

“Bird Box”

“7 Days Out”

“Sirius the Jaeger”

“Greenleaf: Season 3”

Dec. 24

“The Magicians”

Dec. 25

“Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Infinity War”

“Anthony Bourdain: Part Unknown: Season 11”

Dec. 26

“Alexa and Katie: Season 2”

Dec. 31

“The Bill Murray Stories: Life Lessons Learned from a Mythical Man”