The 6 December Movies You Need to See

2018 saved the best for the last.

This year has been a great one for movies. “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Incredible’s 2” have broken box-office records, while movies like “Black Panther” and “Crazy Rich Asians” were able to accomplish the unthinkable by promoting diversity in Hollywood.

The list of the great films from 2018 is long, but luckily we still have a few more films to add to that list after this month. Here are the movies that you have to see before the year ends.

1. “Mary, Queen of Scots”

This period drama takes us back to the time of royal cousins Mary Stuart and Queen Elizabeth I, and the battle for who gets the throne of England. Saoirse Ronan returns to the big screen in her role as Mary of Scotland, while Margot Robbie as Queen Elizabeth. D

irector Josie Rourke “vividly visualizes the war of pettiness of violence that broke out” and delivers a film that captures the behind-the-scenes struggle for the throne. With an award-winning cast and crew, the movie has received positive review all around and may even be in the running for some Oscars this upcoming season. “Mary, Queen of Scots” will take you back in time to witness the most dramatic family in history.

Release Date: Dec. 7

2. “Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse”

Despite the many Spiderman remakes that have come out over the past few years, this one stands out. This is the first animated Spiderman film, and it doesn’t just focus on Peter Parker and his next villain. Multiple new characters are introduced as parallel universes collide, like Spider-Man Noir, played by Nicholas Cage, and Spider-Ham, played by John Mulaney.

Even though the flick isn’t an official Marvel Studios production, it seems really promising. The initial reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, with critics saying it’s a “dazzling animated film” and awarding it a 100 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The new Spiderman even won an award, the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Animated Film. With the new characters and all-star cast, it’s bound to not only be a crowd pleaser but a fresh take on a story we’ve seen so many times on screen.

Release Date: Dec. 14

3. “Mary Poppins Returns”

It’s been over four decades since the last “Mary Poppins” movie came out, yet few people have forgotten the word “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” or the saying “a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.” Now, the iconic film and character have made a comeback, this time with Emily Blunt as Poppins.

Although the premise for “Mary Poppins Returns” mirrors the original, there are a few new characters, such as Jack (Lin-Manuel Miranda), a lamplighter and Poppins’ close friend; Topsy (Meryl Streep), Poppins’ cousin; and William Wilkins (Colin Firth), the president of Fidelity Fiduciary Bank, the bank that the Michael (Ben Whishaw) and Jane’s (Emily Mortimer) father used to work at.

This take on a classic film has an all-star cast and music that will make you hum for days. It has all of the right ingredients to become a family box-office hit. It’s the kind of movie that will make you feel like a wonder-filled kid again.

Release Date: Dec. 19

4. “Aquaman”

While many fans have been disappointed with Warner Brothers’ DC films in the past, the studio has taken great strides to get back on track, starting first with “Wonder Woman” and now hopefully with “Aquaman.”

The movie follows Arthur Curry (Jason Momoa) as he tries to manage the surface world and Atlantis. From the trailer, there is no doubt that there will be several fight scenes and jumps, but what’s really interesting are the scenes that take place underwater. Special effects in superhero action films like these are crucial, especially if the setting isn’t totally realistic. Regardless, “Aquaman” seems poised to surface as one of DC’s most well-renowned movies, just behind “The Dark Knight” and “Wonder Woman.” “Aquaman” is DC’s lifesaver, and people love witnessing a comeback.

Release Date: Dec. 21

5. “Welcome to Marwen”

Steve Carell has been known to give great comedic performances, but recently he’s taken on more complex, emotional roles, such as in “Beautiful Boy” and now “Welcome to Marwen.”

“Welcome to Marwen” follows Mark Hogancamp (Carell), a WWII veteran who was assaulted. During the attack he suffered a head injury, which now wreaks havoc on his memory. In order to cope, Hogancamp creates a miniature town based on the women in his life, some of whom include his ex-girlfriend Nicol (Leslie Mann), his friend Roberta (Merritt Wever) and a friend from rehab, GI Julie (Janelle Monáe).

The movie bounces back between the real-world and Hogancamp’s imagination in the miniature town. Carell has been known to make people cry of laughter, but in “Welcome to Marwen” there will only be the sad kind of tears. This heartwarming, tender movie is based on a true story, and is anticipated to make you feel some type of way.

Release Date: Dec. 21

6. “On the Basis of Sex”

Typically, biography films are made after their subject has passed away, but I guess Ruth Bader Ginsburg is an exception to this rule. In the film, Felicity Jones plays Ruth Bader Ginsburg at a time in which women had to fight an overt, systemic sexism much more visible than the kind that exists today.

The film follows one of the biggest cases in women’s rights history: the overturning of discrimination on the basis of sex. Armie Hammer plays her husband, Martin Ginsburg, along with Kathy Bates as Dorothy Kenyon, a feminist and activist. Especially in today’s political climate, the movie has the potential to spark change among the younger generations of women. Although early reviews have panned the film, “On the Basis of Sex” still has something to offer.

Release Date: Dec. 25