Chris Hemsworth running for an article about Limitless.

‘Limitless’ Gives Chris Hemsworth a New Challenge to Overcome

The Disney+ documentary series takes the Marvel superhero to new heights, but are they too steep for the actor to conquer?

While holding onto a rope attached to a cable car, Marvel superhero Chris Hemsworth said, “You’re probably asking yourself why I’m dangling off a rope a thousand feet off the ground. I’m asking myself the same question. Well, Disney wanted to make a show about longevity. It turns out this has something to do with it. Here we go.” Then he climbs up the rope leading back to the cable car as the camera pulls away from the scene before it goes black.

Disney has a new series making its way to Disney+ — that is, as long as Hemsworth lives long enough to make it through the production. “Limitless,” a six-part documentary from National Geographic, takes Hemsworth on a journey through longevity science — the field of science that studies how to slow down the effects of aging and increase human life expectancy. Hemsworth will travel far and wide throughout the series while facing various mental and physical challenges that are said to improve one’s overall well-being and expand one’s life span. Information provided by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention states that, in the United States, the current life expectancy rate is approximately 80 years.

Chris Hemsworth is an Australian actor most famous for his role as Thor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and the physique he developed specifically for the superpowered character. In Ultimate Performance, Hemsworth is ranked No. 1 on their top 10 male celebrities that their clients want to resemble. His Instagram shows plenty of pictures and videos of him working out and staying fit. With all that Hemsworth does to stay healthy, why would he need to push himself even harder?

“We’re hoping to shed some light on new ideas and emerging science with the focus on extending a healthy life span,” says Hemsworth in the “Limitless” trailer. Perhaps the silver lining for the actor is that the series offers him the opportunity to help people discover new methods to lead a longer, happier life. This has been an evident passion of his since 2019 with the creation of his app, Centr, where subscribers can train with him and his team, which includes his wife, Elsa Pataky, his stunt double, Bobby Holland Hanton and his personal trainer, Luke Zocchi. The star’s app provides various workout routines and education on healthy eating habits and mindfulness practices.

Hemsworth shows great compassion for his fans’ health, and it’s evident that it stems from his zeal for his well-being. During the “Limitless” trailer, Hemsworth voices his concern about his mortality. Born in 1983, he’s only two years away from middle age. “I’m getting older now. I don’t feel invincible. It makes me want to push myself to such an extreme and live as long as I can.” But did Hemsworth want to undertake Disney’s new escapade into longevity, or is Disney doing their best to make bank on their most popular “The Avengers” star?

“Basically, I was somehow convinced to volunteer myself as a human guinea pig and endure a series of mental and physical challenges across the globe, all for the sake of science,” said Hemsworth, according to Nutopia. This comment gives the impression that Hemsworth may not have signed up for the show so eagerly, especially after the trailer mentions Hemsworth’s potential death.

As of March 2019, Disney gained a controlling interest in National Geographic. Disney added National Geographic films and documentaries to their Disney+ streaming, and Hemsworth was not the first actor Disney sent out on a wild adventure. Will Smith, who is famous for numerous titles, including “Men In Black” and “Independence Day,” starred in Disney’s “Welcome to Earth,” which is due to release on Disney+ this December. Much like “Limitless,” Smith is told he is on a dangerous expedition that he will “most likely” survive.

Giant Freakin Robot claims Hemsworth signed a contract for three more Marvel films after “Thor: Love and Thunder.” Since Thor is an immortal God and “Limitless” promises to provide information to extend the human life expectancy, it makes sense for Hemsworth to host the series. Perhaps this series is only a Disney gimmick to continue pushing the MCU — a franchise purchased by the massive entertainment powerhouse in 2009.

The MCU’s upcoming line of movies has a recurring element: immortality. This began with “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” starring Simu Liu. In the film, the wielder of the Ten Rings gains the power of immortality. The theme returns in Marvel’s latest film “Eternals, which is about a group of immortal extraterrestrial beings who came to Earth 7,000 years ago to protect the human race from a species called Deviants. The movie stars Gemma Chan, Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, Lia McHugh, Brian Tyree Henry, Lauren Ridloff, Barry Keoghan, Ma Dong-seok, Salma Hayek and Angelina Jolie.

So far, critics and fans haven’t found Phase Four of the MCU films highly impressive. Plus, all the movies starring the most popular MCU superheroes keep getting delayed. The next Thor film had an original release date of Nov. 5, 2021. But developers pushed the date back multiple times, with the current drop scheduled for July 8, 2022. In the meantime, Disney must keep MCU fans thirsty for its content.

While working to introduce new characters to the big screen, Disney continued creating mini-series starring superheroes from previous MCU movies that are still active. Already, they have five MCU series streaming on Disney+, including their newest addition, “Hawkeye.” Disney has at least six more lined up for 2022. Why not create another MCU-related series now that they have both Marvel and National Geographic at their fingertips by creating an “educational” series starring superstar Chris Hemsworth?

There is no denying that the MCU has garnered a colossal following over the years, and for a good reason. Still, is Disney overdoing it by pushing out more and more MCU content? And what better way to keep pushing that envelope than by bringing back one of the top 10 fan-favorite original characters that helped start the MCU hype: Thor. “Limitless” offers MCU fans an opportunity to partake in a personal quest alongside their beloved hero as he works to become “Chris Hemsworth 2.0.”

Becky Hardin, University of Arizona Global Campus

Becky Hardin

University of Arizona Global Campus
(BA) Journalism and Mass Communication

My passion for becoming a writer developed during college. Every writing assignment was an exciting opportunity to develop skills in writing, editing and research. I enjoy writing about various topics.