‘Legally Blonde 3’ Will Make You Happy, and Happy People Just Don’t Kill Their Husbands

The next installment of the 'Legally Blonde' trilogy will not only bring joy, but also spark conversation about how to address the newest age of feminism.

People of the internet: today is a day to rejoice. After 15 years of waiting, it has happened. A “Legally Blonde 3” is coming.

I know, I know, It’s big news. Back in ’01, people were first introduced to Reese Witherspoon’s Elle Woods, the captivating sorority girl with a heart of gold. Over the span of an hour and a half of pure cinematic magic, viewers saw Elle shape herself from a heartbroken princess into a wise and kind Harvard valedictorian.

In 2003 came “Legally Blonde 2: Red, White and Blonde,” in which fans saw Elle’s life as a lawyer in Washington D.C., and her battle to fight against animal testing (which she wins, naturally). Though lacking the infectious charm of its predecessor, the sequel maintained the feminist vibrancy that the first so greatly established.

However, a feminist film in 2018 is drastically different from a feminist film in 2001. Since then, there has been a resurgence of mainstream feminism, the rise and fall of Hillary Clinton, the Women’s March on Washington, and the #MeToo movement. How will Elle tackle these political and personal changes?

As always, the internet has its ideas. Almost everyone seems on board with an Elle Woods presidency (Commander in Chic, anyone?) which seems awfully likely, considering “Red, White and Blonde” ends with Elle driving by the White House and winking at the camera.

It’s also been mentioned that she could be shown as a lawyer defending the women of the #MeToo movement — a wonderful idea, considering that Elle herself is a victim of sexual harassment in the first film.

The scene in question, when Elle’s boss puts his hand on her leg, was for me (and I’m sure many other girls) the first time I’d seen sexual harassment on camera with a realistic response: Elle storms out of the room, crying, and almost quits her job.

There is room to speculate about the fates of the supporting characters as well. Are Elle and Emmett still married? Do they have a gaggle of blonde children? What about Elle’s beloved and ditzy friend Paulette — is she still married to the UPS guy? What was the fate of Elle’s cardigan-wearing-nemesis-turned-BFF Vivian? And what about Warner, the douchebag Elle went to law school for, learning along the way that she didn’t need him after all?

Witherspoon and the writers have a lot of expectations on them, but I think it’s most important that the movie highlight Elle’s accomplishments and achievements. After all, the beauty of the original film is her determination, her drive and her eventual recognition.

Elle Woods isn’t relatable to so many because she is bubbly, or beautiful or cutely dressed — she is relatable because she is these things and so much more. She is also good-hearted, funny and smart as a whip. As long as “Legally Blonde 3” gives fans the Elle they know, love and admire, it is sure to be a proper homage to the movie that spoke to so many.

Katie Sheets, University of Vermont

Katie Sheets

University of Vermont