In an article about joint film releases, multicolored figures stand and stare in front of a dark movie screen.
Illustration by Lorna Floqi, Oakland University

Joint Films Releases That Made History

Barbenheimer has made film-lovers more aware of the joint-film release trend.

This year, many hit their local cinema for several hours at a time to join in on the ‘Barbenheimer’ craze. Films “Oppenheimer” and “Barbie” hit theaters on the exact same day and fans were eating up every second of it. Most people in the audience witnessed this iconic joint release for their very first time. However, this popular event was not the first time in film history that two films were released on the same day. 

Over the past few years, a number of films from different genres have hit theaters the same day. The theme of two entirely different films being released on the same day remained true – all the way up to the event of Barbenheimer. With the advent of social media – including TikTok, Twitter and Instagram – film buffs have been able to join in on the hype over double releases for years.

Even though Barbenheimer set off a whole new level of appreciation for joint-releases – here are an iconic few that did it first!

“The Matrix” & “10 Things I Hate About You” (1999)

These films’ legacies date all the way back to when they hit theaters together. Similar to Barbenheimer, the interesting part of this double feature is the stark difference in genre. The Matrix starring Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne delivered a timeless science-fiction that explored themes of X and Y. This film was so popular that it became a well-loved movie franchise. Fans of this film loved it so much, there went on to be three other installments thereafter. 

On the other hand, “10 Things I Hate About You” explores an entirely different storyline – which has transformed into one of the most beloved rom-coms. Starring Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles, the two delivered a breathtaking performance of a number of tropes, such as X and Y. These co-stars definitely delivered one of the best enemies-to-lovers blueprints for the rom-com community. While the Matrix is darker with themes of sci-fi action,, “10 Things I Hate About You” is a lighthearted and fun watch. Considering Ledger’s character, this makes this film a special watch for fans of the actor’s legacy. And, despite no social media craze in the 90s, fans today recognize each film for what it is – absolutely iconic.

“The Dark Knight” & “Mamma Mia!” (2008)

True to the testament of Heath Ledger’s legacy, his iconic role as Joker in “The Dark Knight” is one that many superhero lovers still treasure today. The most noticeable element of this joint release is the opposing genres. In 2008, theater goers were graced with either indulging in The Greek Islands or Gotham City. “Mamma Mia!” repped as the bubbly musical featuring music by ABBA, as opposed to Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight” starring  Christian Bale and Ledger delivering what would become one of the most popular superhero movies. The superhero and villain duo performed incredibly well at the box-office and even made history with a number of awards, including Oscars.

While “The Dark Knight” was intense and dramatic – “Mamma Mia!” offered a lighthearted watch that will have you singing along the entire time. Much like its movie-pair, the musical featured many well-known faces including Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried and Pierce Brosnan. Despite mixed reviews of the film, the musical performed well in the box office, surpassing the film’s budget. Noticeable hype over these film’s same-day release has even led fans to consider this event the very first Barbenheimer

“Toy Story” & “Casino” (1995)

These two picks hold direct similarities to the magic of Barbenheimer. One film is marketed as a fun, lighthearted film and the other has an intense plot. Tom Hanks and Tim Allen who have continually played the roles of Woody and Buzz Lightyear made history after the first film’s initial release. In fact, a spin-off on Buzz LightYear voiced by Chris Evans came from it. The film follows fun plots with toys that come to life. Despite this being a children’s movie the dialogue and array of characters are very intriguing.

Star-studded “Casino” featured faces like Robert DeNiro, Sharon Stone and Joe Pesci. This timeless movie classic is set in 1970’s Vegas, exploring themes of drama and crime. Showcasing DeNiro’s talent he portrays a casino owner alongside Stone in an intriguing “low-level mobster” plot. Despite no acknowledgement of the joint-film release, the film’s lasting popularity much like the others, speaks for itself. The film is famously directed by beloved director Martin Scorsese, which contributes to why this film garnered popularity. The director well-known for intricate plots and characters proved this to be true with the distribution of “Casino” and its success at the box office. The fact that these two films are on entirely different sides of the spectrum proves that two opposing movies can reach audiences. 

In the coming year, other joint-releases will take place. Though “The Exorcist: Believer” and “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour ” were initially set to release together, the director of the horror flick changed the release date to a week earlier. Up next, for totally different films – “Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie” and “Saw X” are a true testament to the fact that joint-film release dates will continue to be two entirely different cinematic experiences. So stay updated and mark your calendars with several hours to spare to watch both of the released films. 

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.