Here Is Every ‘Harry Potter’ Easter Egg in the Newest ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Trailer

The real-life Nicolas Flamel? That’s riddikulus!

A second trailer for the highly anticipated upcoming installment of “Fantastic Beasts : The Crimes of Grindelwald,” starring Johnny Depp and Jude Law, was recently released at Comic-Con. The trailer revealed that this “Harry Potter” prequel saga will have much more to do with the original story of the “Boy Who Lived” than fans had thought.

Here’s a breakdown of the most notable “Harry Potter” relics and references set to be in “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.”

1. Hogwarts

I know what you’re thinking, but this really is a big deal. In the first “Fantastic Beasts” film, Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne), a Hogwarts student-turned magizoologist and writer, travels to the United States and wreaks havoc when his creatures, usually kept in his leather-bound suitcase, escape in New York City.

Given that this was entertaining and a great introduction to the film series, there’s only a brief mention of the famous school, when Scamander asserts to the American witches that Hogwarts is the best school of witchcraft and wizardry.

Naturally, fans of the “Harry Potter” franchise were thrilled to see that the next “Fantastic Beasts” movie would return to the place that started it all.

2. Dumbledore

For Harry Potter fans, the “return” of the legendary Albus Dumbledore automatically makes this movie a must-see. While there won’t be a resurrection of Dumbledore, viewers will get to see the famous headmaster in his younger years as a Hogwarts professor of transfiguration, played by Law.

Fantastic Beasts
Fan-favorite Dumbledore will return in “Fantastic Beasts: the Crimes of Grindelwald” as a younger version of the iconic professor, played by Jude Law. (Image via The Independent)

In the trailer released at Comic-Con, many were quick to point out that the transfiguration professor was actually shown in the defense against the dark arts classroom. Coincidence? Potterheads think not.

3. Wizengamot

The Wizengamot is the high wizard court of law at the Ministry of Magic. In the center of each of the courtrooms is a chair with magical chains to restrain the accused’s magic. The court, made up of about 50 wizards/witches, sits above.

The Wizengamot was featured in a few of the Potter films including “The Goblet of Fire,” where Potter goes back to a memory of then-Minister of Magic Barty Crouch sentencing his own son to Azkaban Prison for torturing Neville Longbottom’s parents with the Cruciatus Curse.

Potter even finds himself in the chair at the Wizengamot in the “Order of the Phoenix.” He is accused of using underage magic after casting a Patronus charm but is thankfully rescued by none other than Dumbledore. The ministry eventually releases Potter of all charges.

In the trailer for “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,” Grindelwald himself, is shown standing before the court members and judge at the Wizengamot.

4. Lestrange

When the cast list came out for the sequel to “Fantastic Beasts,” the eyes of Potter fans darted to the newcomer Leta Lestrange (Zoe Kravtiz). Lestrange is evidently engaged to Scamander’s far more mannered bother, Theseus (Callum Turner). A photograph was shown of Lestrange in the first film, belonging to Scamander.

The mysterious character will appear in this film, leading many to ask not only what is her connection to Scamander, but also, is the last name of Lestrange coincidental? Or does it spell trouble?

5. Deluminator

In the opening scene of “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” Dumbledore holds an object that pulls the light from each of the street lamps on Privet Drive, making for a private and safer arrival of baby Potter. In a later film, this device is said to be a deluminator.

In the first of the two-part films “The Deathly Hallows,” Ron Weasley is left Dumbledore’s deluminator in the Headmaster’s will.

But, what fans don’t know, is how the deluminator came into Dumbledore’s possession. Begging the question: Who is taking the light in the latest “Fantastic Beasts” trailer?

6. Riddikulus

In the new trailer, a younger Scamander is back at Hogwarts learning a spell famous to the Potter world by Professor Dumbledore. When Scamander steps in front of the class to face the boggart before him, the legendary professor reminds his students, “Everyone is scared of something.” When the boggart transforms into a desk, revealing Scamander’s fear of having to work in an office, he proudly exclaims the iconic defense spell, “Riddikulus.”

The Riddikulus spell was first shown in “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” where Potter’s boggart transforms into a dementor. Fans are eager to see what other familiar charms and spells will be used in the upcoming “Fantastic Beasts” film.

7. Nicolas Flamel

Nicolas Flamel, the acclaimed alchemist, a friend of Dumbledore’s and the maker of the Sorcerer’s Stone, was a major contributing factor to the plot of the first Potter film, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.” However, Flamel is never actually seen in the movie.

Fantastic Beasts
Nearly two decades after “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” hit theaters, the famous alchemist who tried to cheat death, Nicholas Flamel, will finally be shown on screen. (Image via Collider)

At the end of the film, Dumbledore tells Potter that the stone had been destroyed, leading many to think that Flamel’s immortality ride had come to an end.

It appears, viewers will get to see Flammel (evidently not powerfully immortal, but rather faulty and frail), in “Fantastic Beasts,” roughly 70 years before the stone is destroyed.

8. The Deathly Hallows Symbol

Most assumed that a pivotal portion of the origin of the Deathly Hallows would appear in this “Fantastic Beasts” installment. This component, of course, being the Elder Wand that fans learned of in the “Harry Potter” franchise. For the most part, when there was talk of the Elder Wand, it was the only time Grindelwald was mentioned.

Since then, Potterheads have been eager to hear the full story of Dumbledore and Grindelwald’s epic battle for the most powerful wand in creation, after Grindelwald stole it from a wandmaker.

To add onto the anticipation, at the end of the recently released trailer for “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,” the title of the film is shown with a few easter eggs in its lettering. The Elder Wand makes up the “I” in “crimes,” the Resurrection Stone as the “G” in “Grindelwald” and the Cloak of Invisibility as the “A.”

Haley Newlin, Southern New Hampshire University

Haley Newlin

Southern New Hampshire University
Creative Writing & English