Everything You Need to Know About the Third Season of ‘Queer Eye’

There's much more in store for the Fab Five.

When the series “Queer Eye” first premiered on Netflix a little over a year ago, it quickly became a fan favorite. The series propelled the cast into the spotlight, leaving viewers wanting more. When the second season of the series came out last June, fans immediately binge-watched it in one sitting.

If you’re a fan of the show that has been desperately waiting for more episodes like me, I have good news for you: the third season of this iconic show is set to premiere on March 15.

Younger fans of the show might not realize that “Queer Eye” is actually based off of “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy,” a series that ran on Bravo from 2003 to 2007. The new and improved “Queer Eye” follows in the first one’s footsteps, Fab Five and all.

The ability to watch it whenever and wherever you want on Netflix has made it popular with millennials in particular, so has its focus on self-love and acceptance. The original “Queer Eye” might have been before its time, but the new series is growing increasingly popular due to its humor, emotion and relevance. Social media might also contribute to the show’s popularity, as each of the stars has millions of followers, and clips as well as memes from the show circulate widely.

The cast, called the Fab Five, are one of the main reasons that viewers love the show. Antoni Porowski, Bobby Berk, Jonathan Van Ness, Karamo Brown and Tan France make up the group of gay men who provide wisdom on all aspects of life. Porowski is the food and wine expert, Berk is the design expert, Van Ness focuses on grooming, Brown is the culture expert and France’s expertise is in fashion. Each has a distinct, passionate personality, but they all have the same aim: to teach people how to love themselves and their lives.

Although each of the five members has a sense of wisdom and optimism, Van Ness is thought to be the standout star of the show, with his sassy phrases like “yass queen,” and “oh, henny.” Often, the haircut and grooming section of the show is most emotional, and Van Ness puts his heart and soul into the makeover.

While the first two seasons were filmed in Atlanta, Georgia, and the surrounding area, the third season will be filmed in Kansas City. The second season also featured a special episode filmed in Yass, New South Wales, which premiered after the season ended. Although it hasn’t been confirmed, there is a rumor that musician Harry Styles may appear on the show this season.

Styles was recently seen hanging out with the cast at a karaoke bar in Tokyo, where a special feature titled “We’re in Japan!” was filmed. If the show is trying to top its last two seasons, bringing in a celebrity guest (and a fashionable one at that) like Styles will definitely yield positive reactions from fans and newcomers alike.

The Japanese-centered special will debut sometime this year after the third season comes out. There will be four episodes, each focusing on one Japanese man or woman.

The Fab Five are truly the ambassadors of self-care and compassion that the world needs now more than ever. Filming in Japan is a wonderful opportunity for us to work with four deserving heroes that will help showcase the incredible traditions and customs of their country,” David Collins, the show’s creator, said in a statement on last Wednesday.

Netflix Japan also announced a competition on Twitter last week, which would send one lucky fan from Japan to the set to meet the Fab Five. The show has gained popularity in many countries, and it can be expected that even more international travel will be in store for the Fab Five in the future.

The makeovers in “Queer Eye” feature individuals of all ages and occupations. Although the first season focused on men, the second season had the first woman receive a makeover on the show. The second season also featured the first transgender man on the show.

In the upcoming third season, it wouldn’t be surprising if the cast became even more diverse. From a teenage pianist to a fireman to a Walmart employee, the Fab Five take on makeovers with a different angle every time in order to get at the heart of issues preventing each individual from feeling confident and happy with themselves. Although each person has a different background, the Fab Five approach everyone with the same enthusiasm and positivity.

“Queer Eye” won three Emmys in 2018: outstanding structured reality program, outstanding casting for a reality program and outstanding picture editing for a structured or competition reality program. The show was also nominated for outstanding cinematography for a reality program, and was nominated for four awards at the People’s Choice Awards. It’s no surprise that the series won these awards, as it has received rave critical reviews since the reboot premiered. The series is expected to maintain its popularity, as it’s just the type of feel-good television that people crave.

Fans love the show because it teaches them valuable lessons about self-care, acceptance, diversity and growth. “Queer Eye” also bridges gaps between people who may not ever have met before; for many contestants in rural Georgia, being on the show was the first time they’d ever met an openly gay person. Although the show’s focus is on a makeover, the real goal is to inspire confidence in those who might be going through a rough patch.

Viewers will most likely cry as much as they laugh throughout each 45-minute episode. The third season will be available to stream on Netflix on March 15, with the Tokyo special streaming sometime afterwards. If you have never seen the show, there’s plenty of time to binge-watch the first two seasons before the third premieres. And hey, even if Harry Styles doesn’t make an appearance, it’s still going to be a great season.