emmy

Emmys Rundown: Who Won, Who Should Have Won

Can we please move on from 'Game of Thrones' now?

The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards took place Sunday night and boy, did I have some feelings about it. While some of the winners I was absolutely thrilled with, others I found to be totally wrong. Some were exactly as expected, and others left me utterly shocked. It was a weird night. All I really know is that juggernauts “Game of Thrones” and “Veep” are over (sadly, Julia Louis-Dreyfus did not win the title of most-Emmy-awarded actor in history), and next year we can all finally move on and talk about some new shows.

Nevertheless, as a self-described television fanatic, I felt it necessary to inform the general public of who took home Emmy gold this year and also insert my opinion into the conversation, even if nobody asked for it. What follows is a list of the night’s winners in the major categories, as well as who I think should have been the winners (with some commentary on a few occasions).

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

— Who Won: Tony Shalhoub, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

— Who Should Have Won: Tony Shalhoub, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

— Who Won: Alex Bornstein, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

— Who Should Have Won: Olivia Colman, “Fleabag”

Writing for a Comedy Series

— Who Won: Phoebe Waller-Bridge, “Fleabag,” “Episode 1”

— Who Should Have Won: Josh Siegal and Dylan Morgan, “The Good Place,” “Janet(s)”

Okay, here we go. I will admit, “Episode 1” of “Fleabag” is absolutely incredible. The chaos is hilarious and brilliant and everything you could ever want. Where it really shines, though, is its directing. However, when you compare its writing with the genius of the much talked about “Janet(s)” episode of  The Good Place,” there really isn’t any contest. “Janet(s)” was the shining star of the season. It was what pulled Emmy voters in enough to get “The Good Place” an Outstanding Comedy Series nomination (it also should have gotten D’Arcy Carden a supporting actress nomination, but that’s neither here nor there) and it deserved a win here. Honestly, the characterization alone deserved a win.

Directing for a Comedy Series

— Who Won: Harry Bradbeer, “Fleabag,” “Episode 1”

— Who Should Have Won: Harry Bradbeer, “Fleabag,” “Episode 1”

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

— Who Won: Bill Hader, “Barry”

— Who Should Have Won: Don Cheadle, “Black Monday”

Really? Don Cheadle lost again?

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

— Who Won: Phoebe Waller-Bridge, “Fleabag”

— Who Should Have Won: Gina Rodriguez, “Jane the Virgin”

I know that Gina Rodriguez was not even nominated, but I just couldn’t hold my tongue (or, more accurately, my fingers). Rodriguez has never gotten any Emmy love, despite winning a Golden Globe for Season 1 of “Jane the Virgin,” and it is downright criminal. And considering the television academy included “Jane the Virgin” as a part of its tribute to ending shows, they really should have given the much-beloved series something. That something could easily have been a trophy for Rodriguez, who stunned viewers with an emotional seven-minute monologue in the Season 5 premiere. I mean, seven minutes! It was astounding.

Outstanding Comedy Series

— Who Won: “Fleabag”

— Who Should Have Won: “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

At least it wasn’t “Veep” again.

Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie

— Who Won: Ben Whishaw, “A Very English Scandal”

— Who Should Have Won: Asante Blackk, “When They See Us”

Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie

— Who Won: Patricia Arquette, “The Act”

— Who Should Have Won: Marsha Stephanie Blake, “When They See Us”

I’m just floored by this one. I don’t mean to be rude, but Patricia Arquette was just bad in “The Act.” In fact, all of “The Act” was pretty awful. The acting was awkward, the writing was boring and there was just so much unnecessary silence. I mean, the whole thing was so, well, strange. While Arquette’s acceptance speech calling for further transgender rights and protections was beautiful, I think it shocked everyone when her name was called instead of Marsha Stephanie Blake’s. Blake’s performance as real-life Central Park Five mother Linda McCray in “When They See Us” was phenomenal and I’ll never be over her loss.

Writing for a Limited Series, Movie or Drama

— Who Won: Craig Mazin, “Chernobyl”

— Who Should Have Won: Ava DuVernay and Michael Starrbury, “When They See Us,” “Part Four”

Directing for a Limited Series

— Who Won: Johan Renck, “Chernobyl”

— Who Should Have Won: Ava DuVernay, “When They See Us”

Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie

— Who Won: Jharrel Jerome, “When They See Us”

— Who Should Have Won: Jharrel Jerome, “When They See Us”

Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie

— Who Won: Michelle Williams, “Fosse/Verdon”

— Who Should Have Won: Amy Adams, “Sharp Objects”

Just give Amy Adams every award already. Like, loved Michelle William’s speech. But Amy Adams.

Outstanding Limited Series

— Who Won: “Chernobyl”

— Who Should Have Won: “When They See Us”

Netflix’s “When They See Us” was this year’s limited series. The true story of the five kids falsely convicted of the brutal rape of a woman in Central Park back in 1989 due to the racist, unethical interrogation practices of the detectives and prosecutors, “When They See Us” was severely overlooked, winning only one major award out of its 16 nominations. Instead, HBO’s “Chernobyl” took home most of the limited series awards, shutting out the incomparable director, writer and producer Ava DuVernay (who has also been shut out by the Oscars in the past) from picking up anything.

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

— Who Won: Peter Dinklage, “Game of Thrones”

— Who Should Have Won: Peter Dinklage, “Game of Thrones”

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

— Who Won: Julia Garner, “Ozark”

— Who Should Have Won: Indya Moore, “Pose”

I have made my Emmy dreams for “Pose” known before and they won’t be ending anytime soon. And while Indya Moore has officially confirmed that they identify as nonbinary and hoped to spearhead a movement toward eliminating the gendering of Emmy categories since I wrote my last article fighting for “Pose” to be nominated, I thought I still needed to include them on this list because their performance as aspiring model Angel Evangelista was the best performance I saw all year. While they did not score a nomination this year (probably because the television academy sadly did not remove gendered categories), they will always be a winner in my heart (and hopefully in real life next year).

Writing for a Drama Series:

— Who Won: Jesse Armstrong, “Succession,” “Nobody Is Ever Missing”

— Who Should Have Won: Bruce Miller and Kira Snyder, “The Handmaid’s Tale,” “Holly”

Directing for a Drama Series

— Who Won: Jason Bateman, “Ozark,” “Reparations”

— Who Should Have Won: Daina Reid, “The Handmaid’s Tale,” “Holly”

Lead Actor in a Drama Series

— Who Won: Billy Porter, “Pose”

— Who Should Have Won: Billy Porter, “Pose”

All I have to say, is “yes.” Yes, yes, yes.

Lead Actress in a Drama Series

— Who Won: Jodie Comer, “Killing Eve”

— Who Should Have Won: Sanda Oh, “Killing Eve”

I was really thrown for a loop with this one. I don’t know how they ignored Sandra Oh for a second year in a row. And with her costar, no less.

Outstanding Drama Series

— Who Won: “Game of Thrones”

— Who Should Have Won: “Pose”

“Game of Thrones” is over now. So maybe next year then? I just want to talk about something else now. Please. Anything.