Lizzie McGuire

‘Lizzie McGuire’ Is Back: Is It Truly What Dreams Are Made Of?

With Disney+ allowing users everywhere to relive their childhood, this classic series serves as a digital time capsule.

After the launch of Disney+, ‘90s babies were ecstatic to discover that the Disney original series “Lizzie McGuire” was available for binge watching. The full series, which included two complete seasons, takes fans back to a simpler time down memory lane — a time when weekend sleepovers were all the rage and getting a Lunchables with the Capri Sun juice pouch was the equivalent to a five-course meal.

As a child raised on “Lizzie McGuire,” “Even Stevens” and “That’s So Raven” among other Disney originals, I decided to relive my childhood. Is the series as great as I remember it? Let’s go back and find out.

Re-watching “Lizzie McGuire”

Upon loading onto the Disney+ homepage, I noticed the iconic poster for the “Lizzie McGuire” series. Complete with a smiling Hilary Duff next to an animated version of herself (the original bitmoji?), the series screamed nostalgia my way.

I decided to take a shot and see if the series really lived up to what my younger self loved so much. Titled “Rumors,” the first episode takes viewers into the melodramatic life of a teenage girl and her friends. We follow Lizzie as she attempts to earn a spot on the cheerleading team only to be beat out by her rival, Kate.

In a fit of jealousy, Lizzie starts a rumor about the girl resulting in some hard life lessons. “When Lizzie accidentally starts a mean rumor about Kate in a fit of jealousy after Kate makes the cheerleading squad and Lizzie doesn’t, Miranda stands up for her best friend and takes the blame. Unfortunately, she has to deal with the fallout of hurting Kate’s feelings.”

Immediately, I noticed something different about the narrative within the television show that I never noticed as a child: adult humor. Yes, that’s right. “Lizzie McGuire” has adult humor. A lot of it. In many of the episodes throughout the short-lived series there seems to be some provocative dialogue spoken toward the female characters, namely between Gordo and Kate.

In one scene, as Lizzie, Miranda and Gordo are at the lunch table, Lizzie is complaining about Kate and makes the statement, “Just look at her!” This seems to prompt Gordo to take a look at the girl in question, responding with a statement referencing Kate’s “womanly” figure.

I have to say that flew way over my head as a child. Rightfully so. Adult humor isn’t the only difference I noticed about the “Lizzie McGuire” series. Specifically, that the show only lasted two seasons. I never realized the sitcom was so short-lived. As a child, the television show seemed to have lasted so much longer than two seasons. Maybe it was because it held so much value in my life as I matured. Or maybe it was because I watched reruns for so long that I never realized that they were, in fact, reruns.

Whatever the case may have been, discovering the unknown fact brought a new meaning to “Lizzie McGuire” for me. How can a series with so much meaning and influence end so abruptly? Since I began revisiting the Disney original, I have not stopped my journey of binge watching the entirety of “Lizzie McGuire” as of today. While I am a 23-year-old female, it still influences me greatly and allows me to visit a time in my life that will always be cherished.

The Reboot

Not long after the release of Disney+, it was announced that there would be a “Lizzie McGuire” reboot.

The reboot will be featured as an original series on the streaming service and comes after the popularity that Disney+ got on their launch day. Robert Carradine, Hallie Todd, Jake Thomas, and, of course, Hilary Duff have agreed to star in the reboot reprising their respective roles. More recently, Adam Lamberg, who played the role of Gordo, has officially signed on to join the reboot of the beloved Disney Channel original series.

Taking place 15 years later, the reboot finds Lizzie turning 30 years old and living a seemingly perfect life as an assistant to a high-end New York City interior designer with an apartment in Brooklyn and engaged to a chef. “The good news is, just like me and everybody who loved Lizzie and has grown up with her, Lizzie’s also grown up,” said Duff during an announcement about the reboot. “She’s older, she’s wiser, she has a much bigger shoe budget, which is super exciting. She has her dream job. She has kind of the perfect life right now.”

It’s also been revealed, through Duff’s official Instagram account, that the plans for the “Lizzie McGuire” reboot has been in the works for a long time. “SURPRISE!!! I’ve been trying to contain this excitement for a long time while this has been in the works! I am beyond excited to be home again, back with my girl…and into her 30’s.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1hig7Wjm3K/?utm_source=ig_embed

While there’s not much context behind the series besides these small facts about the all grown up Lizzie McGuire, fans are hoping that a romance sparks between old flames now that Lamberg has officially signed on to be a part of the reboot.

Sadly, with Lizzie engaged, the chances of a Gordo-Lizzie reunion are slim. However, Duff reveals that Lizzie won’t be remaining in Brooklyn for long. “She’s not going to stay in Brooklyn too long, actually,” Duff said in an interview with New York Magazine’s Vulture. “That’s where she’s been, but she’ll be coming back to Los Angeles. She’s forced out of New York. She’s like, ‘I can’t be here anymore.’”

What’s even more interesting is that heartthrob character Ethan Craft might be joining the “Lizzie McGuire” reboot team. Duff hinted that Lizzie may even have a thing with her middle school crush. Does that mean there may still be a chance for Gordo in the future? Duff has been revealing a lot of surprises through her Instagram posts, including blonder hair, a debut photo from the set and photos from the first day of filming that took place in New York City’s Washington Square Park. Duff is even donning a new “L” necklace.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4BAhQEpwxJ/?utm_source=ig_embed

Is “Lizzie Mcguire” what dreams are made of?

The Disney original series seems to have really made a comeback. Obviously, many are still greatly influenced by the show and find comfort within each of its episodes. Truly, even for myself, the “Lizzie McGuire” series has made a definitive comeback in my life and has allowed me to reflect on my old childhood. Were we really that melodramatic? “Lizzie McGuire” truly is what dreams are made of and the reboot will only bring on a new wave of nostalgia for ‘90s babies everywhere.