Black Mirror

5 Reasons Why Season 5 of ‘Black Mirror’ Should Be on Your Summer Watchlist

Prepare for the tech dystopia.

On May 15, Netflix officially announced that they would be releasing a new season for original series “Black Mirror.” The highly anticipated renewal is expected to air on June 5, and you do not want to miss it.

“Black Mirror” is an anthology tackling complex concepts regarding technology and the lives of those it impacts on a daily basis. The show originally received traction in the United Kingdom on a local channel before gaining popularity as a global phenomenon.

Charlie Brooker, a screenwriter and television producer, wrote and produced the material for “Black Mirror.” As the show became increasingly popular, he signed an agreement to partner with Netflix for the continuation of the series.

Since its original release in 2011, “Black Mirror” has won a total of six Emmys for episodes “San Junipero” and “USS Callister,” as well as outstanding TV movie. The show also won best television and miniseries at the International Emmy Awards. According to Brooker, the interactive film “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” took the world by storm in 2018 but also led to the delay of Season 5 of “Black Mirror.”

But the countdown to the thrills and chills of high technology, mind-bending plot twists and alternate realities has only just begun. Following the Season 5 announcement, Netflix published several sneak peeks into the new stories. Additionally, similar to the beginning seasons of the show, the upcoming season of “Black Mirror” will air three new episodes, as compared to some other seasons which contained six episodes.

Here’s a small taste as to why you should spend your summer nights binging the popular show.

1) The Epic Casting Will Leave You Breathless

With previous notable appearances from actors like Daniel Kaluuya (“Get Out”), Jon Hamm (“Mad Men”) and Gugu Mbatha Raw (“Beyond The Lights”), the cast list on the show only seems to get better. In Season 5, fans can expect to see cameos from Miley Cyrus, Topher Grace, Angourie Rice, Anthony Mackie, Andrew Scott and more.

According to the teasers released last week, Miley Cyrus will be performing the role of a popstar in one episode. In another, Anthony Mackie will play the family man with a twist. The final episode will feature Andrew Scott, who takes on the role of a company driver.

2) The Plots Only Seems to Thicken

If you are guessing these storylines are going to be the same stuff Brooker has already created, guess again.

In “Striking Vipers,” Anthony Mackie’s character appears to be fairly distant despite trying for a second baby with his wife (Nicole Beharie). The trailer goes on to reveal that an old friend has introduced Mackie to an app, which he uses to ogle and speak to other women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssr40U3-do0

The most interesting tidbit from this sneak peek was the reinstatement of the futuristic device shown at the end of the teaser, which Brooker featured in previous episodes where a few characters used the tool to escape reality.

Smithereens” has an unsettling tone. Andrew Scott’s character picks up a man from the airport, where the audience learns that he was instructed to “return to the wrath” by a guided meditation podcast.

While viewers are left in the dark about what exactly justifies the wrath, it is clear technology is a key factor for his rage. In a drastic turn, Scott reroutes and holds the passenger at gunpoint. The crime quickly spreads across the internet to Scott’s dismay, and the teaser’s end obscures the outcome.

Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too” is about Ashley (Miley Cyrus), who is leading a double life. It’s far too obvious that Ashley does not get the best of both worlds, as she struggles to balance being a confident celebrity, a victim of depression and as authentic as she can for her fans.

Ashley is unhappy with how she presents popstar persona, but her management pushes her to continue, especially with the product release of the Ashley Too device. A young fan purchases a device, but it malfunctions, and the superstar’s life spirals further and further out of control.

At the end of the official trailer for Season 5, Netflix assured fans that this experience of the future would be one viewers should have seen coming.

3) Miley Cyrus Herself Said So

In a recent interview with Howard Stern, Cyrus admitted to working on “Black Mirror” in South Africa. The project followed the Woolsey Fire, which destroyed Cyrus’ home along with over a thousand others. Despite the incident, Cyrus went on to work on the episode and encouraged all listeners to look out for the upcoming television series.

Then, she talked with Stern about the fun and challenges of playing such a dynamic character. “I kinda hate everything that I do…” Cyrus said, “but it was the first time that I’ve left somewhere feeling very proud of my work.”

4) Satisfy Your Craving for Sweet, Sweet Dystopian Drama

“Black Mirror”is largely known for its thought-provoking material on the conditions of the future and the high stakes of being in an environment where technology rules the world. The show implies what the world could feasibly become should it continue on its current path.

In past seasons, viewers experienced government corruption, aspects of privacy invasion and more issues in modern society. Excitement for the upcoming season of “Black Mirror” probes the question of how will the screenwriters handle creating new scenarios to challenge humanity.

5) The Show Is Too Good Not to Tune In

The storytelling in “Black Mirror” is compelling, and it keeps you on the edge of your seat from one episode to the next. The show is plot driven, yet the emotional appeal of the characters continues as a prominent factor in making their narratives engaging.

In a recent Twitter post, Mackie said, “There is no place I would rather be on June 5th…”

Mackie could not be more accurate. Join him (and me), grab some snacks and a buddy and make sure to schedule some time this summer to binge “Black Mirror,” Season 5.