An illustration of a bag of vegemite, one of many tasty vegan snacks.

Vegan Snacks Everyone Needs To Try

The options may surprise you.

Finding good snacks as a full-time student, parent or employee is as crucial as it is challenging. This can be especially true for vegans or vegetarians since they do not consume any meat or animal products. This makes finding appropriate things to snack on very difficult. One cannot simply grab a random snack from the store without worrying about what ingredients are included. That being said, here are some vegan/vegetarian-safe snacks to grab when the munchies hit. These snacks are not only delicious but also easy to find.

Doritos

Surprised? Doritos would not have been my first choice when trying to think of vegan snacks. I would think more along the lines of veggie straws or something green. However, the sweet chili flavor is totally vegan. These Doritos can be found on Amazon, Walmart or any gas station or convenience store near you. They have a sweet taste at the beginning, followed by subtle heat at the end. The taste kind of reminds me of really good chili sauce. So, if I decide to go vegan, at least I know I can still enjoy these!

Oreos

Oreos were definitely a surprise to me. While they might not be the healthiest option on this list, they are amazing. They have been a part of American culture since their debut in 1912. This delicious chocolate sandwich cookie is made with no animal products, so it’s totally safe for vegans. Paired with some good plant-based milk, you have a match made in heaven. Just remember to limit yourself to one sleeve.

PeaTos

Do you love Hot Cheetos, Takis or just chips in general? Let me introduce you to PeaTos. These are crunchy, pea-based, plant-based snacks that are not only vegan but scrumptious as well. They come in four flavors: fiery curls, which resemble Hot Cheetos; crunchy onion rings, which taste like Funyuns onion chips; pizza-flavored rings, this one’s self-explanatory; and cheese curls, which could easily replace regular Cheetos. All of the flavors are delicious, and they help beat the cravings for old childhood favorites.

McCormick Bac’n Bits

This product saved my life when I was a pescatarian for six months. McCormick Bac’n Bits are the GOAT! They make eating salads so much easier. These bacon bits contain no animal products at all, but taste so good on salads, potatoes or literally anything else. I could even go as far as to say that I prefer them over regular bacon. They have a robust flavor and don’t get soggy on salads when meal prepping. If you get nothing else on this list, get these. They’ll save your life when transitioning to more plant-based products and give you that bacon taste without harming any animals in the process.

Seaweed

Seaweed is a plant that comes from the sea. It is most definitely vegan, obviously. Not only is it crunchy and delicious, but it provides tons of nutrients as well, such as Omega-3s. It can be eaten on its own, sprinkled on top of ramen or used as a vessel for shoveling other snacks into your mouth during your Netflix binges. There are tons of amazing brands and tons of different flavors, however, the one by gimMe is pretty cheap and tasty.

Kimchi

Kimchi is a dish from Korea. It is fermented cabbage in a spicy sauce. It is important to note that not all Kimchi is vegan. Some kimchi does contain fish products, such as anchovies or fish sauce. Kimchi is extremely high in probiotics since it is fermented. Probiotics are extremely beneficial for your digestive health they keep everything regulated. While you can get kimchi at your local Asian or Korean market, you can also grab it from Walmart, Target or Kroger. The best commercially sold kimchi I have found is Mother-in-Law’s Kimchi from Whole Foods. It tastes authentic and can be rolled up in a sheet of seaweed with rice and sesame seeds for a quick healthy snack.

Whole Foods’ Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

If you are fortunate enough to live near a Whole Foods, please go bless your tastebuds. Whole Foods has the BEST vegan chocolate chip mini cookies. I love these as a quick dessert. They’re so good you’ll forget they’re vegan.

While this list is not a comprehensive guide to all vegan snacks, it is a good starting point for someone who is trying to transition to a more plant-based lifestyle. It is also great for someone who is just trying to become more conscious of what they are eating. By eating these starter snacks, you may find that being vegan or vegetarian is easier than you’d think.

Erica George, Louisiana State University, Shreveport

Erica George

Louisiana State University, Shreveport
English, Literary Studies Concentration