Is early decision the right choice for you? There are several suggestions on how to pick your early decision school.

How to Pick Your Early Decision School

An in-depth exploration of the process of ED college applications.

In the U.S., applying to colleges early is common. About 450 colleges in the U.S. provide early admission plans. Imagine after you get a college decision in December, you can spend the rest of your senior year without waiting for the school decisions. Statistics show that most highly selective colleges accept more early decision (ED) applicants than regular ones. Therefore, early decision becomes attractive.

However, although there are some apparent benefits for applicants to choose an early decision plan, you must consider whether it’s the right choice. Specifically, the early decision is binding. For example, you must withdraw all applications to other colleges if admitted to your ED school. If you do not do so, the reputation of your high school will be seriously affected, which means the university is not willing to accept applicants from your high school in the future. So, an early decision is also a risky choice.

Admittedly, an early decision is not the only choice to apply and receive the decision early. If you want to avoid binding with a particular college, you can choose the early action (EA) program. You can apply to multiple colleges simultaneously and get the results earlier. Unlike early decisions, early action is not binding, so you can accept the offer or wait for other colleges. But the acceptance rate is similar to the regular round because of the lack of binding acceptance.

Here are three suggestions on how to pick up your early decision school.

Doing enough research

The first step is to research all the colleges you are interested in. Browsing the official websites, watching YouTube videos, or chatting with currently registered students are all ways to get to know the college.

In addition to doing online research, visiting the campus in person is also a great experience for learning about the school. Many colleges offer campus tours for their prospective students and parents. For instance, the University of Southern California provides 75 to 90-minute campus tours from Monday to Friday.

Moreover, the pre-college summer program is also an excellent way to experience college life in advance. Many highly selective colleges, including Stanford, Harvard and Columbia, offer summer programs for high school students. So, with such precious opportunities, you can take classes and experience the college vibes. If you do well, you also have a chance to get recommendation letters from the professors, which can highly increase your competitiveness in the application process.

Make sure it’s your “dream school.”

Ensuring your ED school is your “dream school” is necessary. In other words, ED college should be your first and best choice. As we said before, the early decision program is restrictive. After receiving the offer from your ED college, you must withdraw all your other applications. So, your ED school should be unique to you.

The first step is to identify your preferences and priorities. Next, evaluating whether your goals and values align with the college is essential. Here are some common factors students always consider when picking their ED schools.

1. Academics

A major goal of attending college is learning, so you should take academics as a factor when choosing your college. Do you have a potential major or career goal in mind? If yes, explore the college website to check whether there is an appropriate program for you. Also, it can be helpful to reference professional rankings such as the U.S. News to gauge the academic reputation of various colleges.

1. Campus culture

Apart from academics, the campus culture of a college, including student organizations, sports teams and traditions, plays a significant role in shaping your college experience. Therefore, gaining a sense of the campus culture is essential before deciding. In addition, you can reach out to current students and inquire about their experiences to help you better understand the campus culture of the college.

1. Location

It’s important to consider factors such as the environment you want to live in, such as an urban or rural area. You should also consider the distance from home and the weather in the area. The college’s location and environment can significantly impact your overall experience and well-being.

1. Cost

The tuition price, financial aid or scholarship circumstance may influence your decision. While a strong love for a particular college may initially overshadow concerns about tuition, it’s important to ensure that finances will not be a significant barrier for you. However, if financial constraints are a concern, it’s wise to consider them when making your final decision.

Evaluating yourself

Although the acceptance rate of early decision rounds is higher, finding a reachable school is essential. In other words, you need to evaluate yourself carefully.

You can find the prior admitted students’ profiles directly online. Then, you can compare your GPA and test scores with those published statistics. But remember, college application is not just a number game; extracurricular activities and experiences also play a role.

Furthermore, have any students from your high school previously been accepted into this college? If so, how do their backgrounds compare to yours? If not, is your profile sufficiently strong to become the first admitted student from your high school?

It’s vital to thoroughly assess your profile before applying, but having the courage to pursue your dream is also crucial. Given the limited number of applicants and high acceptance rates, utilizing the benefits of early decision can significantly increase your chances of being accepted into a high-target school.

All in all, applying to a college through an ED program is a big decision, as it requires you to commit to attending that college if you are accepted. Make sure to consider the pros and cons carefully before making a decision. Then, if you still have time, try to do thorough research and consult with your advisors for guidance.

Danni Shuai, University of Southern California

Danni Shuai

University of Southern California
Communication