For an article on the tourism problems in Riviera Maya, charcoal-like illustration of a white figure standing on a skull shaped platform stares up at a cenote with their hands up.
Illustration by Makayla LeBlanc, Montserrat College of Art

The Negative Impact of Riviera Maya’s Tourism Boom

The beauty of Mexico and its Riviera Maya should not come at the expense of the people and ecosystems that make the country unique.

Mexico may be known for its mesmerizing landscapes, rich culture, and warm hospitality that has long been a dream destination for many travelers. Vacations are a convenient excuse to sunbathe on pristine white-sand beaches, book a soothing spa day, or relax by the pool while sipping complimentary cocktails. The only worry will be not messing up your tan lines. This glittering facade hides a reality that local residents and the environment are grappling with as the rapid growth of tourism continues to leave a profound and detrimental impact.

When tourism fails in Mexico, it not only fails local communities and the environment but the very essence of what makes this country a sought-after destination. The booming tourism industry has led to a surge in ethical, environmental, and socio-economic problems. The fault lies on the tourists and  the hotels. 

It is usually assumed that young adults and teens visiting the beaches of Mexico’s Riviera Maya during Spring break may not necessarily have any intention of experiencing the beauties of the country and interacting with the local residents. The same goes for other tourists. Whether unknowingly or not, a colonialist mindset causes visitors to not want to be challenged outside their social and cultural comfort zones.  This leads to big hotel chains and developments playing into their willful ignorance.

Hotel chains like Hyatt, Marriott, ​​Wyndham and Hilton have figured out how to structure their operations so that the experience is tailored to the guest Instead of the guest adapting to the country they visit, they are accommodated. Multiple resorts have the entirety of their websites in English and prices in American dollars when Spanish is the primary language in Mexico and currency is pesos. Not only does this demonstrate the disconnection of the industry from the local community, but it also raises ethical questions about catering to primarily international tourists.

It has been said that “money is the root of all evil.” In Mexico’s tourist destinations, this can be found evident. It should come as no surprise that big hotel chains and developments in the Riviera Maya have some of the worst aspects of modern capitalism. The ultimate goal is to ensure that the guest remains in their familiar cultural and social environment so that they are able to indulge in a genuine experience of their chosen destination. This can all be achieved without being pushed beyond their personal or cultural boundaries. Hotels will do anything to accommodate guests which usually come from out of the country. A common accommodation includes adapting the restaurant’s menu to a more Americanized one rather than benign completely Mexican. 

Mexico’s natural diversity is one of the country’s greatest strengths, yet it is at risk of being adversely affected by tourism. This is due to the unsustainable practices of overcrowding beaches, the excessive development of coastal regions, and the irresponsible disposal of waste. These practices hold a  detrimental effect on the environment leading to the degradation of fragile ecosystems such as mangroves and coral reefs. These ecosystems are vital to Mexico’s biodiversity and the health of the country as a whole.

The influx of tourists can lead to a number of issues, some of which are commonly cultural appropriation, disrespect of local customs, and erosion of important sites. Some years ago I had the opportunity to visit a cenote in Yucatan. This is the cenote Ik-Kil and for the Mayans it was sacred, so much so that it was used for human sacrifices. During my visit to this cenote, I noticed that many of the tourists were careless with their actions. They littered and disregarded rules, which are in place to protect the site.  

Here was this  beautiful place full of history and all these tourists didn’t seem to care about it.It’s disheartening to see this level of damage towards historical sites with great significance. Little by little that importance is lost, something that was dear to the local communities. Unfortunately, there are thousands of tourists that visit these places around the Riviera Maya, and not all of them are careful about preserving history. 

Among residents, a certain level of resentment towards international tourism has spread. This feeling is stronger when the economic differences between visitors and local residents are greater. The influx of tourism dollars does not always translate into broad economic prosperity. In many cases, the local population does not benefit proportionally from the economic boom. Rather, it often widens economic disparities, as the majority of profits flow into the hands of large multinational corporations or wealthy investors, leaving local communities with little gain.

The focus of most resorts is  catering to the tourist desires, rather than the need to ensure a decent standard of living for those who serve them. If you venture beyond tourist zones of destinations in the Riviera Maya, you will notice that hospitality workers generally do not live in the privileged tourist zones they work at. Instead, they live  in marginalized areas which are usually the site of unsafe regions lacking basic infrastructure in their homes and services like water and electricity. Tourism-driven urbanization tends to outpace infrastructure development, creating pockets of undeveloped areas. Due to the increase in tourism, housing prices in popular tourist areas have risen, leaving hospitality workers no alternative but to live in underdeveloped zones. This can be  another reason why locals have grown to dislike foreign tourists.

Mexico’s vibrant culture and nature is often exploited for tourist gain which leads to harmful consequences. As tourists, it is mutually  essential for us to travel responsibly out of respect for the  local cultures and natural environments. Together, we can ensure that the beauty of Mexico’s landscapes and the vibrancy of its cultures are preserved for generations to come, enabling both the country and its visitors to continue reaping the benefits of this tourism boom without compromising the very treasures that make Mexico so alluring.

Karla D. Galvan, The University of Texas at San Antonio

Karla Galvan

The University of Texas at San Antonio
Communication, Minor in Marketing

"I am a college student majoring in Communication with a passion for writing and an interest in anything pop culture, especially music and film!"