In an article about studying broadcast journalism, the orange figure of a woman sits behind a laptop with her phone videotaping her.
Isabelle Hardy, University of the Arts

Here’s What You Learn as a Broadcast Journalism Major

A broadcast journalism student gives some insight into this area of study, detailing the joys and grievances of those working in the industry.

As a student who is studying broadcast journalism, I’ve learned a vast range of lessons through choosing this career path. For starters, there are a number of different branches and categories that go along with a career in journalism. These options are essential to figuring out what kind of journalism to pursue. These areas include print, radio and television news, and within these areas of focus there are numerous niches to choose from. Whether it be entertainment, hard news or even sports – every type of news holds a multitude of stories within it.

You are initially taught the mechanics of the journalistic style of writing, which involves the nuts and bolts of a lead, nut graf and attributions. This is then followed by courses that allow you to experiment with radio. If you’re lucky, the facilities provided by your school can guarantee a total understanding of what to expect in a radio-oriented career. Working in an actual radio newsroom gives students the full experience of what to expect in the industry. The last facet to explore within broadcast journalism is one that many are interested in – television news. T.V. news is the most desirable objective in a broadcasting career. By getting a taste of what an actual newsroom feels like, students are more likely to find success in their future careers.

All of these aspects can help students build their craft as journalists. Honing their public speaking skills for either radio or T.V newscasts helps students to continually work on themselves. This includes doing interviews and working with cameras, either behind them or in front of them, which also aids them in the search for their broadcasting niche. Video editing with software like Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro is another big part of this career path. If working with cameras becomes the area you want to focus on, learning to video-edit is incredibly important as it helps you to produce the end product for a news story.

One of the biggest takeaways from working toward a career in this industry – which students quickly come to learn – is the dedication necessary for this line of work. For many who wish to work in larger media markets (which is the group of consumers that have access to the same marketing) there is a difficult process that comes with the territory. Each market is numbered by its ranking, market one being the best. To work in some of the best markets, journalists need to work their way up by doing a number of difficult things. The most common approach to start in small market newsrooms. Newsrooms in Arkansas or Connecticut are prime examples of places for newbies to start their careers. Being patient and trusting the process is definitely important when it comes to this career path. Once students acquire small market experience, more opportunities are established for a leg up in the industry with big markets.

While students are working for their degree, some of the biggest opportunities available to them can be found through internships. The chance to witness the mechanics of a newsroom outside of your campus provides an entirely different experience. In an actual newsroom, you can develop your journalistic skills and build your resume. Internships are also great for character-building, as you’re able to network with professionals and immerse yourself in the industry.

Working in broadcasting is a fulfilling career, and the beauty of news is never-ending. Chasing the news is exhilarating, whether it be in print, radio or television. Each medium has a distinct atmosphere, but they share a common goal — to share the news and tell a story. Broadcast journalism places an emphasis on storytelling; this career path offers a lot of creative opportunities for budding writers. A career in broadcast journalism can be a difficult journey, but a worthwhile one nonetheless.

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.