mushrooms in an article about mushroom supplements

Some Mushroom Supplements Work, But Most Don’t — Here’s Why

When it comes to these products, do your research first.

It’s certainly no secret that mushroom supplements — sometimes referred to as functional mushrooms — are becoming more and more popular. And there’s good reason for this — mushrooms offer a wide range of extraordinary benefits, and when used consistently, they truly can change people’s lives and lead to improved health, better sleep and cognition, and a more balanced lifestyle overall.

That being said, few people realize that it’s the active ingredients deep inside the mushrooms that provide the majority of fungi-related health benefits. Compounds like polysaccharides and beta glucans can provide tremendous therapeutic uses, but it can be difficult for the body to incorporate them when mushrooms are eaten in their raw — or even cooked — form.

This article will talk about how to get the absolute most out of the incredible ingredients found deep inside functional mushrooms. It will also share insight on some of the world’s best mushroom products, which can be used for a variety of different health purposes.

Different Types of Mushroom Supplements and Their Different Uses

The benefits of different types of mushrooms are vast, which is why it is important to know the functional uses of each different species. This will allow you to incorporate the appropriate species into your lifestyle depending on what exactly it is you’re trying to achieve.

Below are five of the most commonly used functional mushroom supplements, as well as the different types of effects that each can provide:

• Lion’s Mane: These mushrooms are typically used by individuals suffering from brain fog, fatigue, and lack of mental acuity and sharpness. They are purported to work tremendously well to help individuals focus, and also to help develop a clear, sharp, organized mind with sustained energy throughout the day.

• Cordyceps: Due to their ability to improve energy levels, reduce fatigue and optimize endurance, cordyceps mushrooms are a favorite among athletes, trainers and other physically active individuals. They may also help to speed up recovery after intense physical exertion.

• Chaga: By volume, these mushrooms contain some of the most abundant amounts of antioxidants of any known living species on earth. Thus, they are touted to work incredibly well as an immune system booster and to help fight inflammation.

• Reishi: This mushroom has been used for centuries to help promote longevity, anti-aging and balanced overall health. It is believed to help reduce stress and improve sleep patterns, which explains its benefits for helping live a long, healthy life when taken as a daily supplement.

• Turkey Tail: One of the most popular mushroom supplements of all, Turkey Tails are densely packed with polysaccharides and krestin — both of which are believed to have incredible immune-boosting properties.

Where to Find Quality Mushroom Supplements That Actually Work

Now that you know some of the basics of what each different type of functional mushroom offers, the major question is — where do you find product(s) that will help you take full advantage of their benefits?

In truth, there are few companies on the market today that are offering authentic, effective mushroom extracts in supplement form. You can of course find these different types of mushrooms in their raw form (some are easier to find than others) and incorporate them into your diet by cooking with them. However, some believe the active internal compounds are compromised (and even lost) when the mushrooms are cooked and exposed to excess levels of heat and moisture.

With that in mind, there are one or two U.S.-based brands that have been formulating excellent mushroom extract supplements in capsule form. One personal favorite is a brand called VidaCap — their products are completely organic, and they offer daily-use extracts for each of the five species of mushrooms outlined above. They also offer a mushroom sleep blend (another personal favorite product) that has been specifically formulated to help individuals develop and maintain healthy, natural sleep cycles. And best of all, they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so if you’re not satisfied with the results, just return the supplement for a full refund.

All in all, functional mushroom supplements truly do have the potential to change lives and help establish complete, well-rounded health and wellness. It all just depends on the quality and the effectiveness of the product(s) you’re using.