Sia
As of September 11, Sia is officially eight years sober. (Image via The Diamondback)

By Openly Celebrating Eight Years of Sobriety, Sia Has Become a Role Model

Fans are dedicating the #WeLoveYouKeepGoing hashtag to Sia and her sobriety.

Sia recently celebrated eight years of sobriety by creating a positive and encouraging space for people on social media.

The artist tweeted a message to inspire people to continue on their journey toward sobriety, whatever that journey may entail. She wrote: “Eight years sober today. I love you, keep going. You can do it.”

https://twitter.com/Sia/status/1039402162294378497

According to People Magazine, the singer-songwriter’s addiction escalated during her rise to stardom in 2005. Sia struggled with an addiction to Vicodin, oxycodone and alcohol, and after becoming suicidal in 2010, the artist started a 12-step program.

In an interview with The New York Times, Sia expressed how it’s easy to fall into certain habits when being on tour.

She said: “When you’re in a different place every day, there’s this kind of madness that sets in. It’s easy to get away with getting high, because everybody’s drinking on the road. None of my friends thought I was an alcoholic, and neither did I.”

The artist has historically tweeted the phrase “I love you, keep going,” resulting in many people using the #WeLoveYouKeepGoing hashtag in their responses to her most recent tweet about sobriety.

Many people and groups responded to the artist with empowering messages, like DOROTHY (@itsdorothysucka), a band headed by singer Dorothy Martin. The band wrote, “CONGRATULATIONS THAT’S HUGE SOBER SISTER.”

Another Twitter user (@veggiesausage) wrote: “hi love, congratulations on your 8th year of being sober! I’m so incredibly proud of you Sia, and I hope you are proud of yourself as well! You are a true inspiration for me and so many others! You deserve all the good things in the entire world! #WeLoveYouKeepGoing.”

https://twitter.com/veggiesausage/status/1039402568034734081

Sia’s tweet also prompted people to share their own stories about their journey toward sobriety. Tommie Sunshine, a record producer and the host of “After the Raves,” wrote: “congrats! it’s been 13 [years] for me. I’m the happiest I’ve ever been in my life. very thankful to have survived.”

Twitter user @littlelostsunny shared their experiences as well. The user wrote: “i love being part of the recovering addict//sober club. 1520 days here,” followed by a flexed muscle emoji.

In a world with so much negativity, it’s necessary for celebrities to use their platforms to promote strength, support and courage to continue fighting. Substance abuse can happen to anyone, and many other celebrities have spoken publicly about their personal struggles and victories in gaining sobriety.

Last April, for example, marked 10 years of sobriety for Eminem after he almost lost his life to an accidental drug overdose in 2007; and in 2015, Rob Lowe was granted the Spirit of Sobriety award for achieving 25 years of sobriety.

Another example includes Gerard Butler, who revealed that he was 15 years sober from a pill addiction while being interviewed for Men’s Journal in 2012.

Other celebrities who have openly shared their stories about attaining sobriety include Keith Urban, Ben Affleck, Robert Downey Jr., Bradley Cooper and Daniel Radcliffe.

It’s vital for people to understand that celebrities are still human and can relate to the struggles of other people. By openly sharing their stories, they can act as advocates and role models for those who are either looking to start their own journey or are continuing the fight.

Alexis Rogers, Temple University

Alexis Rogers

Temple University
Journalism and Spanish