Has the Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan Feud Been Reignited?

Please let it be 2006 again.

Imagine it’s 2006. Two of the most famous women in the world are two beautiful blondes: Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan (okay, Lindsay is only sometimes blonde, but that’s okay). They’re known for being young, and hot, and famous, and for being friends with other young, hot, and famous blondes like Britney Spears and Nicole Richie.

Both young women had been getting increasingly more famous over the past three or four years: Paris for her sex tape, and then “The Simple Life,” which catapulted her into massive recognition in the pop culture sphere.

Lindsay, on the other hand, had started out as the acting world’s All-American girl. With “The Parent Trap,” “Freaky Friday,” “Mean Girls” and, most recently, “Herbie: Fully Loaded” under her belt, Lohan was a serious Disney prodigy on the rise.

On the other hand, it looked to the public as though they were both about to burn out. Both were beginning to become well known for their hard-partying ways — many photographs of the two in cars, sometimes with others, sometimes together, clearly drunk or on drugs or more likely some combination of the two, became paparazzi gold.

Hilton, high off the success of her new album and single “Stars are Blind,” seemed to be doing well. Unfortunately, in September 2006, she was arrested for drunk driving. The arrest was a big blow to her career and public image.

“The Simple Life,” after being dropped by Fox, had just been picked up again by E!. However, her arrest (and jailing in 2007) greatly complicated production times and the series ended up being dropped again. For Lohan, it was reported the same year that she had begun attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

It makes sense that the two starlets crossed paths, and even became friends. The fateful year of 2006, however, changed things. It was reported that Lohan was dating Hilton’s ex, Stavros Niarchos. A few weeks later, Hilton and her friend Brandon Davis were being followed by paparazzi as Davis began telling them that Lindsey was “poor,” a “fire crotch” and asking them “Who would want to fuck her?” as Hilton laughed along.

The battle of the paparazzi videos continued later that year, when Lohan approached a paparazzi and told him that the day before Paris had hit her with a drink at a party. “It hurts and it’s not okay,” Lohan said. However, when the paparazzi asked her about it later, she said it never happened and that Hilton was a nice girl.

The unruly celebrity backtracked again, just minutes later, by calling her blonde counterpart the c-word on camera. However, when the pap asks her about it seconds after, she furrows her brow. “I never said that,” she claims. “Paris is my friend.”

Yesterday, in 2018, 12 years later, an Instagram account called @paris2000s reposted the video of Lohan described above. Hilton took the leap to comment on it, simply saying “#PathologicalLiar.” Will Lohan respond, and will this ’00s feud ever really die?

Katie Sheets, University of Vermont

Katie Sheets

University of Vermont