Obama and Biden
Obama and Biden

Obama and Biden Reconnected, and Everyone Is Losing It

The former president and vice president met for lunch on Monday, and people had a lot of feelings about it.

Have you reached a point in your life where you miss former President Barack Obama so much that seeing footage of him reuniting with former Vice President Joe Biden makes you tear up? Yeah, me too.

On Monday, pictures of Obama and Biden having a friendly chat over coffee at Dog Tag Bakery in Washington, D.C., surfaced, and the internet had a lot to say about it. Besides having a nice friendship date, Obama and Biden were visiting Dog Tag Bakery specifically because the pastry shop runs a fellowship program for veterans.

Professors from Georgetown University commute to the bakery to teach business skills, so veterans can earn a business certificate. During Obama and Biden’s visit, they met with each of the fellows and asked about their future business plans.

The CEO of the company, Meghan Ogilvie, said that the visit felt like two friends coming together to have lunch. We get it, they’re perfect.

During Obama’s presidency, Obama and Biden became one of, if not the most, talked about “bromances” in America. Memes circulated online for months about their friendship, especially about Biden’s love for Obama, and the pair left pranks behind for future President Trump to find at the White House.

Although the attention toward America’s favorite bromance has died down since they left office last year, all it took was one public sighting to bring it back, especially after Obama joked that, “Joe’s paying for lunch.” Yes, that really is all it takes.

The millennial generation specifically, took to Twitter to express their nostalgia for the good friends, losing it over the fact that they are still as close as ever, but also over the news that the besties ordered the same sandwich for lunch. Goals.

Millennials could not contain themselves after this outing which raises a lot of questions about how the younger generations are really doing. What does it say that an hour-long lunch date of a former president and vice president can actually make people cry?

While the lack of Obama and Biden content is definitely not the worst thing to come out of the change in the presidency, it’s probably at least top 10. Or at least 20.

Millennials have developed a stereotype for being incredibly nostalgic for the good old days, but can anyone really blame them for missing the beautiful friendship that Obama and Biden were so kind to display? No.

To sum it up, it is unclear if it’s Obama and Biden specifically that are making people so emotional, or if it’s the fact that millennials are notoriously lonely and seeing a friendship so pure hits too close to home. Either way, Obama and Biden hanging out seemed to give everyone a sense of hope and is exactly the content that anyone wanted to see, especially in today’s political climate.

Rebecca Crosby, American University

Rebecca Crosby

American University