fitness

Exercise and the Brain: How Fitness Impacts Learning

Good news! You can work out your brain at the same time you work out your body.

We know that exercise is essential for the human body. The benefits go far beyond losing weight, as frequent workouts can reduce the risk of diabetes and heart disease. It will also help you build an attractive physique, increase self-esteem and increase the production of “happiness” hormones. However, there is another benefit that is less known to us. Exercising can improve cognitive skills and memory.

How does fitness impact learning?

The book “The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain” explains the topic in depth. It supports the fact that fitness can help with learning, based on evidence. According to Dr. John J. Ratey, the writer, exercise will maximize the brain’s performance.

There are a few arguments that support the statement. Regular exercise improves a person’s mindset. This works great to increase your motivation and alertness, which are essential during studying. Physical activity enhances the connection between brain cells. This will help you retain the information better. However, the benefits don’t stop here. Workouts can stimulate the development of new nerve cells. 

An experiment that confirms the benefits of fitness

A school did an experiment to prove the benefits of fitness for students. They added a morning exercise routine named Zero Hour. The goal was to see if the frequent physical activity would have an impact on cognitive abilities. They wanted to see if this would improve students’ reading and other essential skills. In the end, the experiment resulted in better student performance. 

Starting your fitness journey might be tricky for some, but when you experience the benefits, you will know that it was worth it. You don’t need to invest much money to stay fit. You can always start working out at home and follow video exercises. Use Nike promo codes to get sporting equipment for a lower price. 

The importance of fitness for mental health

The book explains all aspects of the benefits of exercising. According to Dr. Ratey’s research, physical activity can prevent a wide range of mental health problems that can negatively impact studying:

— Depression is a common problem. Aerobic exercise can help relieve the symptoms. Physical activity stimulates the production of endorphins, a hormone that reduces pain, stress and discomfort. Also, the levels of dopamine will increase. When your body’s hormone levels are low, you can experience a bad mood, less motivation and a bad memory. Exercise will boost the production of dopamine and improve your thinking skills. 

— Students are regularly exposed to stress. Many factors will lead to stress, such as pressure from school tasks. Stress will impact the student’s performance in a negative way. Fitness is known as an excellent way to relieve stress. People that exercise improve their social relationships and their self-confidence.

— Students may experience panic or anxiety during exams. Many studies prove that exercise minimizes the negative effects. Regular aerobic workouts will relieve tension, improve mood and increase self-esteem. If you want to manage anxiety symptoms, you can try swimming, running, cycling, dancing or other activities. 

— Students with ADHD have problems with the school environment. Dynamic exercise can help them, so choose martial arts or skating as some of the best options. 

Final words

Exercise has many benefits for the human body. It releases particular types of hormones that improve mood and well-being. When we talk about the process of learning, fitness can significantly improve a student’s abilities. Students will enhance their social connections, create a routine, relieve the symptoms of anxiety and experience many other benefits connected with fitness. Regular workouts don’t have to be boring. Let the student pick the activity that they like and enjoy.