elderberry plant

Elderberry Is a Super Food — And Here’s Why

The berries that come from this plant can offer a wide variety of health benefits.

You may have noticed a big trend has emerged in the landscape of supplemental nutrition. Looking at the shelves of almost every grocery store, you will notice a wide range of vitamins and supplements. You may also notice how many of these wellness products now include liquid vitamins and plant-based superfoods, such as elderberry.

Elderberry-based products have enjoyed a big boost in attention, but there is a good reason for it. Elderberry is literally a superhero in the plant world, and carries an astounding number of wellness benefits for the human body.

What Is Elderberry?

Elderberry, or sambucus, is a plant that thrives in the wild throughout the United States. Berries are a popular fruit all over the world and elderberries get the prestigious title of being one of the most health-beneficial of them all.

Elderberry is a hardy plant, able to grow quickly and without much monitoring. It’s what makes it such a steadfast plant that can be found in so many places. Elderberries love nitrogen. So, any growing environment that has a rich source of organic waste resources is a perfect place for this superfood to call home. A little bit of light and dirt are all these berries need to take root.

Ripe elderberries appear in hues of blue and purple. When not used as supplemental aids, elderberries are also great for dyes or ornamental plants in gardens.

How Does Elderberry Support Wellness?

Elderberry is rich in iron, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. Each of these is instrumental in supporting health and wellness for the human body, by enhancing the following functions:

• Iron is an essential mineral that helps the body produce hemoglobin, a vital protein that assists blood oxidation and encourages healthy red blood cell development.
  • Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is essential to supporting and boosting the body’s immune system. It is an antioxidant that helps prevent disease while fighting against colds and viruses.
  • Vitamin B6 helps the body in numerous ways, including regulating metabolism, promoting brain health, regulating mood and assisting hemoglobin production.

Elderberry supplement benefits run a wide gamut, assisting everything from healthier red blood cells and production, brain function and immunity-boosting power.

What Types of Elderberry Supplements Are Available?

Elderberry is an organic nutrient and water-soluble. That is a fantastic attribute because it allows the plant to be supplemental in so many forms. Elderberry supplements are available in almost any format, including:

• Tablets
  • Syrup
  • Gummies
  • Drops
  • Lozenges
  • Liquid

One of the nice things about liquid vitamins is that the absorption capacity and rate are much faster. Liquid vitamin formats allow people to experience the supplemental benefits in a short amount of time.

Elderberry supplements are extremely popular during cold and flu seasons. Used as either a preventative supplement or a treatment alternative, elderberry liquid vitamins are a pleasant charge to a dampened immune system.

According to the U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), up to 11% of the American population is stricken with the flu during an annual season. The statistics for catching a cold are much higher, as cold germs are much more prevalent.

While colds tend to be much milder than flu viruses, colds are more widespread and can lead to secondary bacterial infections when not contained or treated. Flu viruses are statistically much more serious and can also have secondary and serious consequences.

Elderberry supplements are often taken when someone is experiencing the onset of a cold or flu. Colds and viruses are sometimes unavoidable, despite a person’s best intention to prevent either from happening. Helping the body ramp up its immune system, elderberry supplements can be an important line of first defense to combat these illnesses.

Elderberry supplements are widely available and practical to have on hand when needed. Instead of waiting for illness to spring, it makes sense to have the tools to fight it on standby.