In an article about the band No Doubt, singer Gwen Stefani sings into a microphone.

No Doubt’s Songs and Music Videos Have Always Delivered

Gwen Stefani’s alt-rock band did more than just release spectacular tracks.

Real 90s music lovers know that listening to No Doubt is absolutely valid. The band’s music is most known for their blend of different genres which include alternative rock, pop, rock, ska, punk-rock, new-wave and reggae fusion sounds who undoubtedly released some of the best songs of their era. The standard members of the band have been Gwen Stefani on vocals, Tony Kanal on bass, Tom Dumont on guitar and Adrian Young on drums. These have been the most notable addition to the group – since many other members have come and go. During their musical history together, they’ve brough the thrill of each song through Gwen Stefani’s vocals paired with fun instrumentals. Their hit songs are best known for being upbeat, catchy and very rhythmic. 

Unlike other artists at the time, No Doubt offered a variety of genres through their musical selection. This made listening to an album by the band varied and fun. On top of the band having some of the greatest 90s and early 2000s hits – that could be listed on whole 10 fingers and toes they also brough music videos that were absolute gold. Listening to a song by No Doubt and watching the video felt like a complete experience. Each video told a story whether directly related to the lyricism or not. Either the videos were filled with cool visuals or there was a plot to follow along with.  Some of the band’s superior music videos were not only extremely cool to watch but was dope music as well. 

The track “Sunday Morning” from the Tragic Kingdom album dropped in 1995. And lucky for fans, this song was not only composed of the song but also a super fun music video. True to the band’s theme of dabbling in different genres this song has a unique sound that sets it apart from other tracks on the album. “Sunday Morning” was centrally a ska and ska-punk song that immediately reels listeners in. The intro is lowkey with a bandmember on drums, but quickly becomes up-beat, complemented by the lyrics sung by Stefani. What sets this song apart is the music video that really does not have a point but is entertaining. The video displays one of Stefani’s killer outfits performing in a garage with the band. The story behind this video is Stefani and her band performing then somehow putting together a spaghetti dinner. The culmination of the song also simultaneously takes place when the band has a playful food fight. Every minute of this track and its video is enjoyable. 

Another fan-favorite is “Don’t Speak” which is another track on the Tragic Kingdom album. The song follows more of the traditional alt-rock genre, proving the versatility in No Doubt’s music. The music video is a fun watch because of it 90s band feel. Though at the time, the performing in the garage scene was not necessarily planned as an iconic video. Now, several years later Stefani’s blue dress and small set up is a staple video. Not to mention, the song itself which embodies exactly what alternative music should be. This song listens as a pained, rock melody.  Another staple alt-rock song from the band is “It’s My Life” which is probably one of the most thrilling videos so far. Stefani is the woman on trial for the killing of several of her partners. The video exhibits the singer as a femme fatale who slays the men, she’s with. On the stand defending her actions, Stefani belts out one of the band’s best tracks. The finishing touch of her receiving the death penalty and getting the electric chair. The video’s ending definitely makes for an electric touch with this upbeat track. 

One of the most widely known girly anthems was produced by No Doubt – “Just A Girl” just so happens to be that track. The distinctive part of this song is that it hits several genres all throughout the 3 minute 37 second track. Traces of ska-punk, pop-punk, al-rock and new wave are evident in this track that is popular for its feminist lyrics. Stefani sings her heart out with lyrics that describe the woman perspective and the struggles of being prohibited to certain luxuries. The music video for this song goes perfectly with the theme of what No Doubt’s music videos are famous for. For starters, Stefani’s wardrobe is enough of a topic to go off. However, the visuals are intentional and important to the lyrics of the song. In the video, women are seen in a clean washroom which Stefani sings in. Meanwhile, her bandmates are seen in an unkept, dirty bathroom, which they eventually leave. The most special part of this particular music video is the fact that it locks down the lyrics so well. 

Of course, No Doubt has a number of other music videos to their name that speak to their immeasurable knack for producing great content. It’s really no wonder why the music continues to be iconic. Stefani’s and the band have been on hiatus since 2015 but fingers are still crossed for a possible reunion. In fact, a reunion for new music could potentially mean not only worthy music but even more iconic music videos as well. There’s no doubt their music continues to be a smash. 

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.