Photo Illustration by Roberto Soto, Source Photos via Island Records and Pixabay

Irish Band ‘The Cranberries’ Continues To Linger In Our Hearts

The iconic '90s Irish band continues to impact, generations later.

An iconic sound, distinctly beautiful vocals and lyrics unlike no other most likely belonged to tracks made from Irish rock band, The Cranberries. After the success of U2, this Irish rock band might have been the biggest afterwards to exist. The Cranberries were first established in 1989, and soon after produced a number of popular ‘90s hits. True to their Irish origin, the band first got their footing in Limerick, Ireland and the lead singer at the time Niall Quinn rocked out with Noel Hogan, Mike Hogan and Fergal Lawler. Only six months after the band was formed, vocalist and guitarist Dolores O’Riordan became the lead singer. Led by O’Riordan gave the band their unique Irish edge.

For anyone seeking some of their most popular recommendations, The Cranberries have crafted more than a dozen amazing songs throughout their career.  The band’s most notable albums have been “No Need To Argue” (1994) and “Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?” (1993). Some of the best tracks from their 1994 album are “I Can’t Be With You” and “Ode To My Family” which are extremely beloved songs. Driven by strong guitar instrumentals and the vocals, each of the alternative rock songs makes for a smooth listen. On top of the genius lyricism and instrumentals, Dolores O’Riordan’s voice is what shines through. Some notable mentions are “Linger,” “I Still Do,” “Sunday” and their most popular song ever (across all albums) “Dreams.”

These songs are some of their most notable ones because they truly capture the essence of what the band’s music is. From the blend of each band member’s contribution, this really produced amazing tracks that continue to linger in listeners’ ears. The song “Dreams” holds the status as their most popular song, rightfully so. This track still continues to be played on the radio even today.

“Oh, my life is changing every day. In every possible way. And oh, my dreams. It’s never quite as it seems. Never quite as it seems.” 

These lyrics are sung by O’Riordan at the beginning of the song and the end. These floating lyrics match the title of the song very accurately. Much of what is beloved from this band is the relatability of the lyrics which many find they could or continue to identify with. This song resembles everything good and light about listening to The Cranberries. In fact, when many think of this band and connect it to a notable song, this would be the track that comes to most listeners’ minds.

Some newfound popularity for the band was found on social media. The craze surrounding The Cranberries was the collective agreement of new and old fans deciding this band was the best thing to ever touch alternative rock music. Fans on TikTok and Instagram profiles expressed their die-hard love for the band and their music. The passion from their fans came when memes of the track, “Linger” continued to be created. Edits of celebrities dancing to the clipped in song garnered newfound and or some revisited popularity for the band’s music. Videos of Sal from comedy show “Impractical Jokers” dancing or Jake Gyllenhaal in “Demolition” dancing were some of the memes that featured this track.

Viral videos on social media also learning about the tragic story of O’Riordan’s legacy from the band is what has touched many fans’ hearts. The Irish singer who passed in 2018, continues to be the reason why listeners have held on to the bands’ music. Her strong voice complemented each lyric that resembles a bleeding heart and the instrumental tracks. O’Riordan’s struggle with many addictions throughout her career and details of her past trauma are what many saw the singer most haunted by. The demons that followed her through the course of her career are what really translated to the emotional, hearty ballads that she sang. Although, she only passed fairly recently, many still continue to memorialize her career and stream her band’s iconic music. 

The legacy that is The Cranberries should be continued to be treated with the talent that they possess. Each of their tracks and their albums are worth listening to, as each of the bands discography speaks for what they were capable of. From the range of talents showcased from each bandmate, fans will continue to keep the name alive. Not to mention, the legacy of O’Riordan who an essential part of the band was. If you haven’t already, The Cranberries masterpieces should definitely be on your music to-do list. Just a warning, once you listen to their music, the feeling of wanting to listen more will linger.

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.